Author Topic: GUESTs - Broseley  (Read 17776 times)

Offline john2o2o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GUESTs - Broseley
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 October 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
Bit more to add to my previous post. First, the marriage of John Guest to Ann Willmore at Barrow appears on the IGI as 5 Feb 1746 and this is probably the OS date (ie 5 Feb 1746/7), but would need to be checked.

The christening of John Guest is 16 Mar 1703/4 from the transcript on the Broseley website.

The entry for Charles' christening reads:

'Apr 20 Charles so of John Guest, of Linley, & Cicily, at Linley; bap.'[1669].

Also from the Broseley website is a transcript of Willey registers, and the following may be relevant to the GKN Guests:

'1729 July 20 Thomas, s. of Tho Guest, junr., of Upper Standburn in Barrow p., & Sarah.'

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Ah, thanks John.

Presumably there is a common ancestor between the GKN Guests and the John & Penelope from whom I'm descended?
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline john2o2o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 October 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would think it's a certainty that there's a connection - a nice 'find' definitely if you were not aware of it before.

I would think that the connection is in the parishes of Broseley and Barrow somewhere - I'll post again if I find it.

John

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 October 07 19:47 BST (UK) »
There is a map of Broseley (George Weld's land) dated 1686 which shows Robert Guest's house and yard and Guests garden adjacent. The house is labelled as John Parr's house in 1658 and not there in 1621.
Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline john2o2o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
line of Guest of Broseley from transcript of register and IGI to Ralph Guest b 1743:

John Guest m Elizabeth
son:
Andrew Guest bp 17Jan1552 bur 20 Jul 1609 mElizabeth
(note: the above bp is from the IGI and suggests a bp at Lindley, however Lindley has no separate register as far as I can see, so perhaps has been taken from another register in the locality or a BT)
son:
George 'Geast' bp 2 Nov 1578 bur 24 Feb 1616/7
m Agnes Huxley
son:
George Geast bp 14 Sep 1604 bur 29 Jan 1649/50 m Mary Haddon 14 Oct 1630
(note his bp 1604 is from the IGI as above suggesting Lindley. The mother is stated to be Agnes Huxley or Uxley - again I do not know where this assertion comes from as the Broseley register does not list either this bp or his parent's m). The IGI incorrectly suggests that he died 1674 - his widow died in 1668).
son:
John Guest bp 9 Mar 1633/4 bur 27 Dec 1709 m Cicily Hartshorne 8 Dec 1659
son:
Charles Guest bp 20 Apr 1669 bur? (probably at Barrow) m Mary Davis 1 May 1703 Highley
(note: the transcript of Broseley register states that  Charles was bp at Lindley. His family moved to Barrow c1690 as when his parents and brother (Henry) were buried at Broseley the register stated that they lived at Barrow. His brother Michael also raised children at Barrow).
son:
John Guest bp 16 Mar 1703/4 at Broseley bur?(probably at Broseley after 1750) m Penelope Easthope 1 Aug 1730 Quatford
(note: The father Charles, born at Lindley moved to Barrow with his family c1690 (see above). Only his eldest son (this John) was bp at Broseley, his other children were b at Barrow. It may be that his elder son was christened at Broseley because it was the family's ancestral parish).
son:
Ralph Guest bp 23 Jan 1743/4
(note, John and Penelope initially lived at Barrow where John grew up and only moved to Broseley in the late 1730s. Ralph was their youngest son).

Offline john2o2o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 October 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
Line of Guest iron manufacturers: from Broseley transcript &c: events at Broseley unless otherwise stated.

as above to:
George Guest m Mary Haddon 14 Oct 1630
elder son:
George Guest bp 20 May 1632 bur 14 Aug 1674 m Elizabeth Yates 25 Jun 1668 (at Lindley)
elder son:
Thomas Guest bp 30 Mar 1669 bur ? m Elizabeth Pugh at ? c1693.
(Note IGI suggests incorrectly that this Thomas was buried on 10 Jun 1703. The burial in fact is of an infant child of a later couple George Guest and Elizabeth Williams whose son Thomas was bp 4 May 1703).
elder son:
Thomas Guest b 16 Jun 1694 bur 19 Sep 1777? m Sarah Mayor 17 Mar 1720(/1?)
(note the above details for Thomas b 1694 are from the IGI and do not appear in Broseley register. Perhaps the details are taken from the quaker N/C registers?)
elder son:
John Guest bp 12 Aug 1722 Barrow d?(or bur) 25 Nov 1787 (in Wales?) m(1) Ann Willmore 5 Feb 1746(/7?) Barrow. This John was the founder of the Guest fortune. His second wife was Mary who he married c1758.
elder son:
Thomas Guest bp 30 May 1748 Broseley d 28 Feb 1807 at ? m Jemima Revell Phillips 1 Nov 1776 at ?
elder son:
Sir Josiah John Guest, Bt b 2 Feb 1785 Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil d 26 Nov 1752 - world's largest iron manufacturer.

(Note, the Thomas father of Thomas b 1694 is alternatively son of John and Cicily bp 12 Apr 1667. However, I believe that this Thomas b 1667 married Elizabeth Stokes 25 Dec 1695 in Barrow and lived there. His parents John and Cicily are known to have taken their family to Barrow c1690. This other Thomas had a son Thomas bp 8 Feb 1701(/2?) at Barrow who m Elizabeth Lewis 11 Feb 1730/1 at Broseley).

(Note 2: Per IGI there is another marriage of a Thomas Guest to a Sarah Cound 30 Nov 1721 at Barrow - perhaps this is the above Thomas b 1667 marrying for a second time - I do not know, it would have to be checked with the original register of Barrow).

John Pretty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 October 07 19:33 BST (UK) »
I would suggest early Linley records may be in the Much Wenlock PR. I have come across one resident of Linley who used Astley Abbotts for a while - may be worth checking there too.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 October 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
Richard Geyste paid the 1525 Subsidy at Pontesbury. someone of the same name paid in 1524 at Halesowen in Brimstree Hundred

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 October 07 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks - lots here for me to follow up.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge