Author Topic: 'Beau Regard Hotel' - Clapcot/Wallingford  (Read 20042 times)

Offline TimCSS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 'Beau Regard Hotel' - Clapcot/Wallingford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 November 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
In about c1956 my father almost bought The Beau Regarde at Shillingford. I'm pretty sure it was where the mobile home park is now as I also tried to find it again some years ago. You can see it all very well on Google satellite. I might have a couple of photographs of it taken at that time and have the negs somewhere if I can find them. As It isn't very likely I will be back here again, (I was looking for something else when I came across this posting) contact me at Tim(at)permanden .co .uk NB: I thought  it was spelt as above, with an 'e' ?

Offline salwor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Sorry didn't mean to copy this would you please delete it.

Offline salwor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 January 10 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the brochure of the hotel Beau Regard or any photos.  Would it be possible to scan and upload them so we can all see????

Offline Andrew1962

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Are you able to supply any photographs of the Beau Regard in Wallingford, Oxford, before it became a Hotel. My Grandparents used to own it and it would be nice if photographs were available

Regards

Andrew

Offline Ian Lansley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
If this is not to late, I actually have a static home on the site of the Old Beau regard Hotel, and it is indeed where Cross Country caravans. If you get down to the Thames waterfront you can still see the old steps that use to lead up to the Hotel from the extensive garden.

Hope this helps
 :)

Offline TimGreen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 January 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
This thread is quite old now but if anyone has any more information/ images/ brochures to see it would be intriguing. I have a much higher resolution version of this pic but cannot upload it due to the file size restriction. Many thanks

Offline Trisha B

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I came across this site when searching for Beau Regard and see that although the comments are quite old, Tim Green posted a recent request on January 02, 2020, for any more information.
The original posting in October 2007 requested information on “Beau Regard Hotel” during the 1920-1930 timeframe.  This triggered very interesting posts on the early history of the property until the beginning of World War II when the property was requisitioned by the War Department.   There is a gap between the end of the War and the 1950s when Cross Caravans had their business there.  I can fill in that timeframe for you.
My father purchased the property in the summer of 1945 and sold it in 1952 (or it could have been 1951).   It was known as “Beau Regard Roadhouse” Wallingford, but had a Warborough telephone number (Warborough 118).  I have a brochure describing the property.
I don’t know how the property is arranged today with the new buildings, but going back in time, where you drove into the property from the road, there was, is, a lodge style brick house with a verandah and this is where my father, mother and I lived.  To the right of this entrance from the road, there was a lawn area, rose garden, plus a circular swimming pool, this area was in front of the restaurant, bar and ballroom.
To the left of the ballroom were separate buildings:  a greenhouse, a building for a generator, and a facilities block (toilets, etc.).
To the rear of all of these buildings was a meadow surrounded on three sides by chalets, small ones for 2 people and some larger ones for up to 4 people. 
Caravan sites:   After driving past the house at the entrance, a left turn had you on a driveway (unmade) flanked on either side by trees, cedars I believe, quite large and they formed a canopy across the driveway.  This opened up to another field.
The brochure shows the steps down to the river.  In the springtime, there was an abundance of daffodils.   At some time in the past, someone had planted daffodils on the bank spelling the words “Beau Regard”.
Hope this additional info is of interest to all!

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 June 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
Although this does not help with research much, I used to spend a lot of the summers in the mid 1970's at the lodge house Trisha B mentions, as my friend from school lived there, as his mum managed the caravan site.  The site gave free access to the Shillingford Bridge Hotel swimming pool, via a secluded path, which was a popular place to go in hot summer days.  Unfortunately it looks like it's no longer open.
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline Mike Fleming

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 07 March 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for photographs of the Beau Regard Hotel which once adorned what is now Shillingford Hill Home Park, owned and managed by Cross Country Caravans Ltd. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, most appreciative of the amazing stories on this Hotel prior to the Fire which brought it all crashing down to the ground, thankfully with no loss of life. I have searched all the usual places but lots of narrative but no actual photos, can anyone help me with this please.

Many Thanks,  Mike