Author Topic: 'Beau Regard Hotel' - Clapcot/Wallingford  (Read 20045 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 'Beau Regard Hotel' - Clapcot/Wallingford
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 November 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Wallingford - Hotel Beau-Regard - The principal Hotel on the upper reaches of the Thomas. ĵ-mile river frontage. Resident Manager. 'Phone Warborough 38?7

I assmume the ? is a typo and should be a /.

In 1931 the Beau Regard was Warborough 38 (in 1928 Wallingford 23) and the Lanherne Warborough 37 (not shown in 1928).

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 March 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much to everyone who has written something on here, apologies for not saying so sooner but I haven't been on here for ages unfortunately.
You might be interested to know that I have been digging and found someone who has managed to help me alot with information and old photographs of the hotel which I have copied here for anyones interest.

'The house which became Beau Regard, started life as a large private house called "Shillingford Hill House" built in 1892 on a piece of land whichlooks over the Thames. It also looked down on the "Swanne Inn" which is now the grander establishment of "Shillingford Bridge Hotel" positioned at the west side of Shillingford Bridge over the Thames, north of Wallingford. You can see this on the current maps.The house was sold in 1906/07 and bought by the Fleetwood Wilson family who came to live here from Australia. One of the staff a Frederick Juffkins started as a chauffeur then. By 1910 the house name was changed to "Beau Regard", very apt considering the views from the grounds. The house was above over 100 feet from the river. The mother became bankrupt and in 1922 the Fleetwood Wilson's applied for a spirit licence as the building was going to be made into a residential hotel under the management of Mr Juffkins. In the same grounds was another house, called "Lanherne" which became part of the same establishment. In 1927 Fleetwood Wilson was also made bankrupt and the hotel was sold on. The licence was granted to a William C Morrell the licensee of the Fox and Hounds of Sydenham. Beau Regard was sold again some time between 1931 / 1934  when the hotel was sold to Mr & Mrs Coates but I have no yet found any record of the dates. It does appear that Mr Juffkins stayed on in "Lanherne" as it was eventually let as part of the "Beau Regard" complex to Mr Coates by 1939. In 1935 "Beau Regard" was burnt to the ground. It was never rebuilt as it seems there were complications due to complex insurance claims! Mr Coates stayed on the site attempting to make the best of a bad job and the last reference I can find of him is in late 1938 when he describes his operation the "Beau Regard Holiday Camp!!" It seems that Your relation was managing "Beau Regard" for Mr Morrell between 1929 and whenever Coates bought it. I certain have not come across her name in my researches. I guess the most possible place to look would be in the Electoral Rolls from 1930 on. These I believe are kept at Berkshire Record Office in Reading.I believe the site, which is now a mobile home, was requisitioned by the War Department during the Second World War.I hope the above is of interest to you. I do have a copy of the Hotel brochure with description and photos. I also have a copy of the report about the fire and I also have a cd with photos of "Beau Regard" before it was a hotel, taken by the ancestor of Mr Fleetwood Wilson'

Fantastic bit of history on the Beau Regard

Kieran
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 March 08 21:25 GMT (UK) »
And some more info from brochures and newspaper reports:-

A copy of a brochure, undated, describes Beau Regard Hotel and itsfacilities as follows:³On Shillingford Hill beside the Thames, and  some hundred feet above theriver, stands the Hotel Beau Regard.  Its sixteen acres of grounds slopedown to a river frontage of over quarter of a mile, and from the lawns thereis a magnificent view up the river to Shillingford Bridge. Wallingford, thenearest town, is easily accessible from Reading and Oxford, by train ormotor-bus.In summer Salterıs Oxford steamers arrive and depart two or three times aday ­ the return journey being accomplished with ease during the day and thedaily steamers from Oxford to Kingston (for London) pick up passengers atthe Landing Stage if notice is given to the Manager, while passengerswishing to call at the Hotel may do so on giving sufficient notice to thecaptain of the Steamer.This is one of the most beautiful spots in the Thames Valley, in a districtrenowned both for its scenery and its recreations.  At the Boathouse, punts,skiffs and canoes can be hired. Fishing may be enjoyed in ideal conditions.Three golf courses are within easy motoring distance.Well furnished and admirably arranged, Beau Regard has all the features ofan up to date first-class hotel, its rooms including two large dining roomsoverlooking the grounds, and a beautiful Lounge arranged with an unusuallylarge ballroom having a parquet floor and a grand piano by Lipp. Thecommodious bedrooms enjoy a pleasant outlook etc. The fruit garden providesa constant and fresh supply for the kitchen.The hotel boasts ample storage for boxes and luggage and a garage formotorcars. There is also stabling for horses and accommodation for maids andchauffeurs. A private motor is available for hire and cars can meet guestsat Cholsey or Wallingford Station if required. Guests must bring their owntennis equipment but a croquet set is available free of charge.²BrochureThe brochure shows photos of the interior of the dining room and theballroom/lounge both which are looking east. The ballroom seems to have agreat deal of light from above. The hotel is fully licensed and officiallyappointed by the RAC and AA.                    In 1935 both Lanherne and Beau Regard were hotels owned by Mr Norman Coates.              
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 March 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Kellyıs Beau Regard had a reputation as a well-known venue in the south of England.  In the Berks and Oxon Advertiser on the 3rd of May 1935, a whole page wasgiven up to the report headed-;Disastrous Fire at Hotel Beau Regard.  Proprietorıs coolness saves theguests from perishing in raging inferno,Eleven people rushed through fire and smoke to safety and another wasgallantly carried out of danger when one of the most disastrous fireswitnessed in the district for many years broke out at the Beau Regard Hotel,Shillingford Bridge, in the early hours of Saturday morning and completelygutted the premises.Five minutes represented the difference between life and death for them, foraccording to one of the survivors, had the alarm been given that much later,all must have perished in the raging inferno.  They had to escape in anyclothes they could hurriedly put on and then some of them, in pyjamas ornightdress and dressing gowns helped to fight the outbreak.For many miles around the flames could be seen, for the blazing building,standing on the top of a hill, acted as a beacon.  Four brigades hurried tothe scene, but so firmly alight was the hotel and so rapidly did the firespread that their efforts were of little avail.  When, after hours of hardwork, the blaze was subdued, all that remained of the beautiful residentialhotel were chimneystacks, debris and portions of the walls. Nevertheless,they had prevented flames from spreading to the neighbouring building,Lanherne.Mrs Coates, wife of Mr N Coates, proprietor of the hotel, discovered theoutbreak shortly after 4.30.a.m.  She heard a noise and thinking burglarsmight be raiding the premises, awakened her husband.  On opening theirbedroom door they found the building to be filled with smoke, whichcrackling and the noise of falling timbers could be heard on every side. Residents Promptly RousedMr Coates gave the alarm, rushing about the hotel rousing residents andstaff and ordering them to proceed at once to the lawn.  There, he held aroll call and found that one of the guests, a septuagenarian, named MrsHarris, was missing.  Although her room was situated in the most dangerouslyplaced part of the hotel, he rushed back into the building and to her room,where he found her in bed.  Although almost overcome by the smoke hesucceeded in taking her downstairs and on to the lawn to safety.The guests were unanimous in praising the courage and able manner in whichMr Coates handled the situation.  Here is the story by Mr Donald Macardle,of South Kensington, who in company with his wife, was spending the night inthe hotel:³We owe of lives entirely to Mr Coates, for if he had lost his head it wouldhave been all up with us and we shouldnıt have stood a chance.  The elderlyladies were very brave and so was everyone.  No one lost his or her head.Mr Coates rushed into my room and told me the place was on fire.  My wifeflung a coat over her shoulders and we fought our way through the blindingsmoke into the air.  The smoke was so thick I could not see her facealthough I was holding her hand. If the alarm had been five minutes later weshould all have perished in the flames.  As it was, it was only a fewminutes after we managed to get clear that the first portion of the rooffell in.  cont.........

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 March 08 21:28 GMT (UK) »
cont........

After seeing that everyone was safe, Mr Coates piloted us to thelodge at the entrance of the drive and arranged for us to be conveyed by carto the Shillingford Bridge Hotel, where more adequate clothing was provided.Shortly before 5.0.a.m. the Wallingford Fire Brigade, under Chief Officer CPeadle, arrived on the scene.  The building was then blazing fiercely andthe firemanıs difficulties were increased by the strong wind then blowing.In view of the immensity of the task it was decided to send out calls to theDidcot, Pangborne and Abingdon Brigades, all of which responded withcommendable promptitude. River Water UtilisedIn the early stages of the fight water was obtained from the hotelısunderground tank, but that proved inadequate.  Long lengths of hose werethen laid to the river near the Shillingford Bathing Pool, where three ofthe engines were stationed and the water was pumped up the hill to thehouse.  About 10.00.a.m the fire was almost subdued and the Chief OfficerPeadle then released Abingdon Brigade.  Shortly afterwards it was safe forthe Pangborne Brigade to leave, but the Didcot and Wallingford Brigadescarried on until 4.0.p.m. when the fire was completely extinguished.Very little furniture was saved.  Before the arrival of the brigades thestaff removed as much as they could from some of the lower rooms.  WhenWallingford Brigade arrived the firemen dashed in and managed to save apiano and some pictures but the dense smoke and the fierce flames soon put astop to such salvage operations.  A organ, chesterfield, four or fivechairs, a piano, a grandfather clock and a figure of Buddha were about allto be seen on the lawn. Buddha and Bad LuckRegarding Buddha, read what Mrs Coates told a representative of the Berksand Oxon Advertiser while the building was blazing fiercely.  ³We had adance here last night and a large company were present.  It was organised byMrs Clarke-Brown of Kingston Blount and Mrs Hill in aid of OxfordshirePlaying Fields Association.  During the evening one of the guests went overto the Buddha, picked him up and commenced to dance with him.  I went acrossand asked the guest to put the figure down, remarking that such conductwould only bring bad luck on the house.  And now look what has happened ­only a few hours afterwards.²Not only were the buildings and general furniture destroyed, but also alarge collection of antiques and jewellery and practically all the personaleffects of the residents.  The total damage is estimated between £20,000 and£30,000.  The hotel safe, however, escaped destruction and after the flameshad been subdued, was removed to the bank for inspection.The cause of the outbreak is a mystery.  Some consider the fire was due tothe fusing of the electric wires, while other think it was due to a paraffinstove in the staff quarters catching alight.  The official verdict, however,is unknown.  When the dance concluded about 2.00.a.m. in the morning, thestaff, in their customary manner, inspected the whole of the premises beforeretiring, but no indication of the approaching disaster was apparent at thattime. Beau Regard was one of the most beautiful of residentıs hotels in many milesaround.  Standing in extensive grounds, which swept down in terraces to theriver, it was a favourite rendezvous of many people from all parts of theSouth and the West.  In every way it was a modern hotel, well equipped andefficiently run, and its destruction is indeed a loss to the district.  Itcontained a splendid ballroom, a smoke room, and a drawing room, a diningroom and some fifteen bedrooms besides staff quarters.  At one time it wasthe home of Captain Wilson, who was responsible for the idea of convertingit into a hotel.

I big thank you to Chris Eke who provided all this information who has been researching Clacot for a number years years now.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 16:08 BST (UK) »
I have a little more info - which I came across in the Berkshire Record Office. They have a petition from local residents supporting the grant of an excise licence to the Beau Regard which is about to become a hotel in 1922.
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Ooh thats interesting, does it give you much information, anything about who was running the hotel then?

Thanks
Kieran

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 September 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
No one was running the hotel (as it wasn't an hotel yet) - the petition was about enabling it to open.  It does say who was applying for the licence - but I can't remember the name. I'm afraid I only looked at it in passing (only really noticed it because of this thread) and didn't take any notes - I was after other information in the file (about Newbury pubs).  If you are interested the BRO reference is Q/AC 6/17.

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Is the site of the Beau Regard now the site of Cross Country caravans?
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London