Author Topic: Roman Catholic Chapel, Newry  (Read 3867 times)

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Roman Catholic Chapel, Newry
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 03:38 BST (UK) »
Wondering if someone could help, have a marriage cert. Patrick Pullin and Mary Larkin, 4th feb. 1866, Roman Catholic Chapel, Newry, Down. How can i find out which Catholic Church this would have been? Patrick's place of residence is listed as Derryleckagh. Thanks in advance.

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Chapel, Newry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 07 08:28 BST (UK) »
Sharay:
It may well have been  St. Mary's in Chapel Street. Here is link to info at Ros Davies great site for County Down. You may want to look around for all kinds of "goodies".
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/PHOTOSwords/NewryAll.htm
Just checked her surname listings and found this:
"Patrick PULLEN . Down Downpatrick; husband of Mary Ann Larken; father of Margaret b. 24 Jul 1868 & Matthew b. 17 Dec 1869 "
Good luck,
Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 07 01:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat,
I had narrowed it down to either St. Mary's or St. Patrick's, wasn't sure if there was a difference between church and chapel or how far apart these churches are or if one was closer to derryleckagh. I had been to that site you suggested before but i had used pullin instead of pullen, so thanks for that.
My places to visit overseas is growing and growing.

Offline MichaelPol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharay,
I see you've been active more recently than this post. Please get in touch as I would like to share information re: pullen's of derrylecka in co. Down.

If the Pullen's you mentioned below are related to you then we share the same ancestry.

Many thanks,
Michael

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 July 18 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

Sounds great, my email, (*)
I haven't spent much time on the Polin/Pullin's lately, however we are heading to London for Christmas and hope to visit a few cemeteries including Mathew Polin who was christened in Newry.
Look forward to hearing from you.
sharon

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline sharay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,
Sorry I should have mentioned, Matthew Polin son of Patrick Pullen and Mary Ann Larkin , was my husbands great grandfather. Matthew left Ireland for Scotland where he married Mary Braniff whose family was also from Newry, after the birth of their first son they moved to London. Matthew's son Hugh was my husbands grandfather. Hugh's daughter married an Australian and migrated to Queensland where she and her children live today.
Any of this sound familiar ?
sharon

Offline MichaelPol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon, that is excellent research. To give you some context of where i fit in to this is I believe Patrick's father was called Michael, who is the only listed head of household in the 1866 Griffiths Valuation. By 1883 Michael is gone and there are 3 separate tenants leasing land in Derralecka, of which your husbands direct ancestor is Patrick, who i believe is a son of Michael. There is also a Luke and an Alice Pollin in 1883. Alice's husband I believe is Ned/Edward who is also deceased by 1883, and her tenancy is being managed by a Bernard who I believe to be her son. I am unsure of the exact relationships between Patrick, Luke and Edward and then subsequently Bernard. However Bernard had a son called Edward, who then had a son called Hugh, who had a son called Peadar/Peter, who had a son called Michael, and I'm Michael :-)

The precise relationships of those I've mentioned above it a little unclear on account of the loss of the census data from the forecourts incident in 1922, but what is certain is your husbands Patrick is either a great great great grandfather to me but more likely a great great great great uncle. Our family plot in Newry almost certainly where Patrick is buried, and everyone has gone into the same grave for the last 160 or so years.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline MichaelPol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 18 21:14 BST (UK) »
I could probable also give some insight on the variation of the surname, as well as some information on where your husbands ancestors originated before they lived in Derrylecka.

Offline mafair7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 18 07:27 GMT (UK) »
  I think we may have ancestors in common, I grew up as Poland and after researching my Irish roots I now know it is Polin or Pullin, my Grandfather Peter Polin (Poland) was born in Newry in 1855, Brother James, 1847, sisters Margaret 1852 an jane 1857, their parents were Francis Polin (1825?) and Elizabeth Jane McEvoy 1826, in Derrylecka Newry, I have been in contact with a DNA match here in Australia who descends from Patrick Polin and Mary Ann Larkin,( Parents Edward Polin/Pullin? ) and Alicia Mcgee, I am exploring him as being a possible sibling to my Francis, any information on the family would be very much appreciated as it has taken me 10 years just to get this far.