Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 78010 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi  JAP     :)

[Sorry not to have got back sooner - had a few ISP problems].

Very many thanks for the AYLEMORE info, and in particular, the links.    Most interesting.    Much "nutting out" to be done I think ?      I too had found some of those AYLMORES, and it does appear their roots were very much in Sussex.   I think I've now got my head around the "Portsea" / "Portsmouth" thing, (both close together),  so it's perhaps not odd that different churches/parishes, feature.     "Reeves"  - mmm  .... also found a Joseph AYLMORE  m. Ann REEVES - 1816 - St. Mary's, Portsea - just thinking - "Joseph" / Josiah"  ?

RICHINGS:   Well, your "good luck for my newspaper search" -  has worked a treat !    UPDATE follows in next posting.

Cheers

Lu             :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi   JAP   and Jenn   :) :)

**    RICHINGS   -    UPDATE   * *

Well, well  !      A step nearer to finding the elusive THOMAS ?

From "The Press"  (Christchurch NZ)  Thursday, 3 February, 1898:
"A Man Killed at Addington"
"At the Addington crossing yesterday evening, Mr. Thomas RICHARDS* was killed by the 7 o'clock train from the north.
Mr RICHARDS who was a wholesale butcher at Addington, was driving home in his cart and did not hear the train approaching.  The engine smashed into the cart, knocking the back section of it to pieces, and throwing the unfortunate man down the line.   He was immediately picked up and taken to hospital but expired when placed on the operating table ..  (badly fractured skull, broken collar bone).     His horse was not hurt, nor curiously was a calf, with its legs tied up, and lying in the bottom of the cart.
No blame is attachable to the driver of the engine as it was impossible to stop the train in a short space, and, the whistle was blown.    The deceased leaves a wife and grown-up family of two.   An inquest will be held today."

*   Note:   "Mr Thomas RICHARDS"    ?

From "The Press"   5 February, 1898 :
"Addington Railway Accident - The Inquest"
"An inquest, touching on the death of John RICHINGS *
who was run over by the train at Addington on Wednesday evening  .....     VERDICT:   Accidental death - no blame attached to any of the railway officials."

*Note:     "John RICHINGS"    ?    (It was the same accident -outlined in both articles) !

My earlier info about this John RICHINGS (and this accident) seems to have come from another (rival) newspaper - wherein the victim was named as "John RICHINGS" !   (Happy, I found the "Press" article - and the "Thomas RICHARDS"  thing  .... it offers "some" explanation  ... perhaps)?
Unfortunately there was no actual death notice for John ("Thomas")  .... only  funeral details (venue and time).

Death Cert. ordered  .....  will get back a.s.a.p.

Cheers
Lu                :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 02:44 BST (UK) »
Oh Lu, let's hope the death cert has further information on the "wife and grown-up family of two".  And perhaps you might be able to get access to a photocopy of the original inquest report (rather than the illegible filmed copy).  This is certainly turning out to be a most interesting (though sad) story.  I think you've yet to search for a newspaper notice/obit for 'Anni' MORININI?
JAP

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi  JAP    :)

....   was short of time, and had meant to add the following:
Search for death / funeral notices / obits -
*  Annie MORININI - d. 1931 -  extensive search - no notices appear to have been published.
*  Lily COATES (Richings) - d 16 Sept. 1917 -  "  .... wife of Francis, beloved sister of Thomas Richings"  [Odd !  No mention of her mother Annie, who was still alive, nor of Lily's 3 children].  Brother Thomas perhaps inserted this notice (Lily died at his home after an illness) - seems he was very fond of her.
*  Thomas RICHINGS junior - d. 1958 - ".... beloved father of Rachel Baker of 62 Hoon Hay Road (note: this was also the  address on Annie's death cert) ... his 6 grandchildren were named".   Thomas cremated at Christchurch.

INQUEST - John Richings ....  full report was also published in "The Press" so I now have copy of this.

Archives NZ have just updated online catalogue and this has appeared:
"Bankruptcy records (x 2) - John Richings - Butcher of Dunedin ~ dated 1881" !   [These can only be viewed at Dunedin office - cost to have copied and posted $50 plus.
Ouch ] !    Couldn't find him on electoral roll at Dunedin.
Same John ... I'd guess so?

A further curiosity in this saga, is that at her death (1917), Lily (a farmers' wife), owned real estate - in her own right.
She appointed a land agent as sole executor of her will (he was also joint guardian of the two youngest children along with husband, Francis).    "... her real estate could be leased to husband (Francis) at a peppercorn rental ... other of it was to be sold etc. for the benefit/education of the young children".  (No value mentioned  in will).      Thomas too, left a homestead ( to daughter), and 8 parcels of land and farm implements etc. to be shared amongst six grandchildren.   (Some of this may well have come from mother Annie's estate - still hunting to see if there was a will for her).   Perhaps theses "riches",  were gained by their own efforts, but I just find Lily's case a little odd?   Not an inheritance from (i)  a bankrupt or near penniless father,
(ii)  nor seemingly from a mother who survived her by some 14 years??    (Not from Lotto either) !    Husband Francis, an Irishman, 20 years her senior, died intestate, 1932, with a few meagre possessions and apparently estranged from his children.

JAP  .... do you have anymore great, possible scenarios to offer?
Remember - you got it right last time!

Yes, I hope death cert for "John" is brimming with info. 

Cheers

Lu       :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi  JAP    :)

....   was short of time, and had meant to add the following:
Search for death / funeral notices / obits -
*  Annie MORININI - d. 1931 -  extensive search - no notices appear to have been published.
*  Lily COATES (Richings) - d 16 Sept. 1917 -  "  .... wife of Francis, beloved sister of Thomas Richings"  [Odd !  No mention of her mother Annie, who was still alive, nor of Lily's 3 children].  Brother Thomas perhaps inserted this notice (Lily died at his home after an illness) - seems he was very fond of her.
*  Thomas RICHINGS junior - d. 1958 - ".... beloved father of Rachel Baker of 62 Hoon Hay Road (note: this was also the  address on Annie's death cert) ... his 6 grandchildren were named".   Thomas cremated at Christchurch.

INQUEST - John Richings ....  full report was also published in "The Press" so I now have copy of this.

Archives NZ have just updated online catalogue and this has appeared:
"Bankruptcy records (x 2) - John Richings - Butcher of Dunedin ~ dated 1881" !   [These can only be viewed at Dunedin office - cost to have copied and posted $50 plus.
Ouch ] !    Couldn't find him on electoral roll at Dunedin.
Same John ... I'd guess so?

A further curiosity in this saga, is that at her death (1917), Lily (a farmers' wife), owned real estate - in her own right.
She appointed a land agent as sole executor of her will (he was also joint guardian of the two youngest children along with husband, Francis).    "... her real estate could be leased to husband (Francis) at a peppercorn rental ... other of it was to be sold etc. for the benefit/education of the young children".  (No value mentioned  in will).      Thomas too, left a homestead ( to daughter), and 8 parcels of land and farm implements etc. to be shared amongst six grandchildren.   (Some of this may well have come from mother Annie's estate - still hunting to see if there was a will for her).   Perhaps theses "riches",  were gained by their own efforts, but I just find Lily's case a little odd?   Not an inheritance from (i)  a bankrupt or near penniless father,
(ii)  nor seemingly from a mother who survived her by some 14 years??    (Not from Lotto either) !    Husband Francis, an Irishman, 20 years her senior, died intestate, 1932, with a few meagre possessions and apparently estranged from his children.

JAP  .... do you have anymore great, possible scenarios to offer?
Remember - you got it right last time!

Yes, I hope death cert for "John" is brimming with info.  

Cheers

Lu       :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 18 October 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu,

You are doing brilliantly.

You want me to dream up some scenarios, eh!

Well, perhaps the bankruptcy is very important?

Financial troubles might explain the move from Blenheim (IF, indeed, that's where they were and IF Thomas c 1868 & Lily c 1874 were actually born there).
Then a bankruptcy in Dunedin (long way away from Blenheim) might explain the move to Christchurch.
And perhaps the paltry financial situation of John/Thomas RICHINGS (assuming they are the same person) when he died might be because, as a bankrupt, he could not run a business and might not have wished to have money in his own name (creditors could have claimed it).   Perhaps everything was in Annie's name (IF she was his wife or 'wife') and thus she could pass it to the children.

Who knows ...!

And perhaps everything can be explained by the bankruptcy i.e. no mention of Annie at Lily's death (and Thomas's??); and Annie recorded at death as MORININI.

But this dreamed-up scenario might well be total rubbish  ::)

Looking forward to what you find next!

Cheers,

JAP
PS: I guess another possibility is that Alexander MORININI left lots of money from which Annie benefited  ;)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 18 October 07 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hello  there

I  am  sorry  I can't paint  any exotic lively scenarios   but  is  it  Possible  that Lily  who  you  haven't  found a birth for  as  yet,  is  that correct,  may  have been  married  previoulsy  and  had  inherited her husband's wealth?

What about  Thomas  as  you say  he died reasonably wealthy too,  what did he do  for a  living  or was  his inherited wealth?  Maybe from  the Haesman side?

Just a  thought  have  you  had  a  chance  to  pursue  if  there  is  a  headstone for Annie?  also  perhaps  for John Richings.  Headstones  often  give clues  too.  Even  Lily's?

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 19 October 07 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu,

I've been thinking about James RICHINGS b ca 1890 in NZ, who gave his uncle, Thomas RICHINGS, as his NOK on his army file ...

I wonder whether it's worth trying to chase him up?

Are you quite certain that nok Uncle Thomas is the same chap as Thomas, brother of Lily?  That is, is there further info in the army file which confirms this (Thomas's address, occupation, etc).

Have you been able to find any further info on James?  For example, his address on his army file.  Or a marriage for him (before or after he joined the army).  Or his death.  Was he on an electoral roll.  If you can find a marriage or death from him, this might reveal much.

If James is a nephew of your Thomas, one has to wonder who his father was?  As you have wondered earlier on this thread, did Thomas and Lily have another brother (or brothers).  Or was James a 'step-nephew' i.e. a child of a son of John/Thomas RICHINGS from a marriage/relationship before that with Annie ...

Regardless, there are still plenty of avenues to follow as well as James - headstones (as suggested by tropicalj), Thomas/John's death cert which you are awaiting, the original (legible?) inquest, perhaps a will for Annie, the (expensive) bankruptcy documents ...  And if Thomas/John started out in Blenheim, have you searched for RICHINGS births there before the period when Thomas and Lily were born?  Or the possible death of a first wife?

Cheers,

JAP

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 19 October 07 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi  JAP   :)        re: Post # 50

Thanks.      And yes, I do want your possible scenarios  ...   they're great, .... and besides, they get me thinking in all sorts of other directions !

You see, I hadn't thought of the bankruptcy having all those possible consequences you've pointed out   ....  so, very well done JAP !

Mmmm  ... having the bankruptcy records would help enormously.

I like the suggestion too that Mr. Morinini left Annie lots of money   ....  (just hope it wasn't Annie who shot through to NZ, with HIS "loot"   ... I have some strange feelings about Annie) ?
As always, your help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Lu       :)