Author Topic: WILLIAM WOOSNAM of CERI 1780-82  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WILLIAM WOOSNAM of CERI 1780-82
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for further information about the origins of my 4xgt grandfather William Woosnam who farmed in the Welsh/Shropshire borders.

William Woosnam married Sarah Chilmick in Shrewsbury St. Chads in 1805 (Pallots).  I have found William in the 1841 and 51 censuses: Sarah died in 1826.

I would like to know if any more experienced Woosnam researcher has come across a William Woosnam, originally born in Ceri around 1780-82, about whom nothing else is known.  I suspect William was a junior son, possibly from a farming family, whose parents may have been called Robert and/or Mary.

Any hints as to possible leads would be most gratefully received.

Thank you.

Rachel

Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM WOOSNAM of CERI 1780-82
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 14 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
I was scanning through the forum listing yesterday and the name Woosnam stuck with me. Today whilst looking through an online list of Powys Family History 'strays' from for Hugheses I came across a William Woosnam witness to a Hughes wedding:
Name: Sarah Jenkins
Record Type: Marriage
Date: 1832
Information: Thomas Jenkins of Kerry Bach married Sarah Hughes, Spinster, Of this Parish, On 29 Sept 1832, with Witness William Woosnam.
Ref: [None given].
On searching the list contains 26 Woosnam strays - Hope it's of interest.
Regards
Jonathan

See: http://www.powysfhs.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Powys_Strays_Index.pdf

Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Old Mother Reilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Alberbury - I'll have a close look at that.  :)
Stevens (Devizes, Calne, Wootton Bassett): Hunt (Milford/Lymington, Calne): Moore/Rudland (Ipswich): Whitlock (Pitton & Farley): Hayter (Whiteparish)

O'Reilly (Sheffield, Flint, L'pool, Co. Longford): Foxton (Sheffield, Northallerton, Thirsk): Spragg (St. Teath, Delabole, Pengelly): Stabb (Berry Pomeroy)

Gore (Newbury, Wigan): Hawkins (Gt Bedwyn/Hungerford): Massey/Wallis (Shalbourne): Mildenhall (Ogbourne): Smith/Lilley (Nhants): Wernham (Chieveley): Woosnam (Mont./Salop): Yaldwyn (Blackdown)

Offline AussieGirl?????

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 15 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
I am only new to RootsChat and given the age of you post, you may have additional information you were after, to which I am probably not able to add any more. I am not a descendant of William WOOSNAM but I am a descendant of Evan WOOSNAM (b1796-1800 d 1864). Evan WOOSNAM married Anne CHILMICK in 1823. I have noticed that spelling changes between CHILMICK and CHELMICK. Somehwere along the line I think there must be links between William and Evan WOOSNAM and Sarah and Anne CHILMICK? To date I haven't been able to find such links. Have you been able to confirm William's parents?
Cheers Deb
Woosnam

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile

Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington

Offline Wales girl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 October 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, Although I am not related to William Woosnam of Ceri 1780-82, I am related to Evan Woosnam who was born 1800 in Mainstone, and married Anne Chelmick.  I see that you are also and would be interested to know which of Evan's children is your ancestor.

Offline AussieGirl?????

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Wales Girl,
Sorry to disappoint but I am not descended from one of Evan & Annes children but rather from Cecil Clarence WOOSNAM who is a child of Evan's from his second mariage to Elizabeth WILLIAMS. But have included all Evan's children in my research which has led me off on many tangents and my initial question on the chat line.
CHeers
Aussie Girl
Woosnam