Author Topic: Bleazby's Ballinacurra and Rosscabery  (Read 9956 times)

Offline GON

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bleazby's Ballinacurra and Rosscabery
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Some of the directories list a William J Bleazby as living at Bleazby Hall and another William J Bleazby (his son I believe) living in Roury House. 

This would suggest that Bleazby Hall and Roury House are two separate dwellings. 

Roury House still exists today but nobody locally can recall a Bleazby Hall - I'm wondering how to establish if they were the same or different houses :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Roury House is in the Civil Parish of Ross and Bleazby Hall is listed in the link above as in the parish of Ross so if they are different houses they are both in the same parish.

The old OSI mapviewer would outline a Civil Parish but the new version is a pain.
http://map.geohive.ie/
You can find the old maps by using the Base Information and Mapping.

Roury House is in the townland of Derry

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
William's death cert and on the Will Calendars both give the Bleazby Hall Rosscarberry address, I wonder if it was in the town of Rosscarberry and simply a name they had on their house.

Offline GON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your feedback. 

I know Roury House and the location of this house.  I'll have to do some more digging to figure out if Bleazby Hall was another house in the parish. 

Offline Dawn Alexandra Zimbler

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 15 November 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just found out my great great great grandfather was a James Bleazby. According to my nan's family tree he was born about 1820 • Cork, Ireland
and passed away 29 SEP 1859 • Devon, England. I am still researching via Ancestry.com but could there be a connection to this Bleazby family? Thanks, Dawn.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 November 18 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Deceased Surname  Bleazby
Deceased Forename  Elizabeth
Primary Beneficiary/Executor  Alicia Bleazby
Sec. Beneficiary/Executor  Elizabeth Fox Minchin
Addl. Beneficiary/Executor  James Bleazby
Date of Death29 May 1857
County of Death   Devon

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/reels/cwa/005014884/005014884_00022.pdf
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 15 November 18 20:10 GMT (UK) »
http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=2650

Roury House (H3702)
Occupied by William Bleazby at the time of Griffith's Valuation on lease from the Townsend estate and valued at £12 5s. In 1885 Walford refers to the seat of William J. Bleazby as Bleazby Hall. A house still exists at this site.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Here is an update with information that I have gathered:

William John Bleazby and his wife Maria Smythwick married in Gretna Green, Scotland 1826.  The lived in Cork city before moving to Rosscarbery in 1835.  They had 4 children - Samuel, Charlotte, William and Maria.  Maria died in July 1872 and her husband William died in January 1881 at his residence at Bleazby Hall, Rosscarbery.  Both are buried in the Church of Ireland graveyard in Rosscarbery.

Samuel died at an early age (I've yet to determine what age).
Charlotte Anne born 1833, never married, died in 1911.  She lived with her sister Maria Beamish at the time of the 1901 Irish Census and was living in Doneen, Rosscarbery when she died.
Maria born 1840, married Richard Beamish, they had no children.

William John. junior was born in 1835, he married Catherine Baldwin Morris in 1857 in the Cathedral in Rosscarbery.  He died in February 1912 and was living in Henry Street, Cork city with his wife at the time of his death.  This property in Cork belonged to his father's sister Elizabeth and when she died in 1880 she left the property to her brother William John (senior) and her nephew William John (junior). 

My parents live in Rowry House, Rosscarbery currently and documents found in the house reveal that in 1835 William J. Bleazby and a William Keohane from Rosscarbery were leasing the lands from Reverend H. Townsend.  Rowry House was one of 3 houses named as part of the Townsend (Derry & Myross) estate. 

From a Slater's Directory for County Cork 1870, it lists William J. Bleazby living at Bleazby Hall and a William J. Bleazby living at Rowry House.  This suggests two separate houses.  However, I can find no record at all of Bleazby Hall on OSI maps or speaking with people locally.  Rowry House is known locally to all. 

Further documentation found at home (Rowry House) shows that in 1901 when William Keohane died the house at Rowry and lands were assigned to his son Daniel Keohane.  He lived and farmed at Rowry until 1926 when my great-grandfather James Connolly purchased Rowry House and farm.  This property and farm has continued to remain in our family since then.

A letter that I found published in 1899 in the Skibbereen Eagle and written by William J. Bleazby (junior) contains the following "My parents brought me to Rosscarbery in September 1835, I have lived nearly all my life at Rowrie House and Bleazby Hall in Rosscarbery.  I was educated in Rosscarbery College......" This confirms that they were two separate dwellings.

I hope this information is helpful to others.  If anybody has any additional information to share about Bleazby Hall please let me know.  I did contact the Landed Estates Database team at NUI Galway but they were only able to provide a small amount of information about Rowry House, they have no reference to Bleazby Hall.