Author Topic: Genes Reunited - Perhaps the most annoying database in the world.  (Read 8563 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited - Perhaps the most annoying database in the world.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 20:23 BST (UK) »
i searched the full BMD (on familyrelatives to which is subscribe) and they have the death index 1984-2005 he is the only Ewan Strachan 'popping up',
i also searched for his birth 1866-1920 for a ew* strachan and there were none, so i think he was not born until after 1920.
in between 1920 & 1983 i have to search the BMd qtr by qtr but i could not see him born in 1926 registered under either Strachan or Middleton.
also if the mother was married, the father is assumed to be the husband although not always the case.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
i searched the full BMD (on familyrelatives to which is subscribe) and they have the death index 1984-2005 he is the only Ewan Strachan 'popping up',
i also searched for his birth 1866-1920 for a ew* strachan and there were none, so i think he was not born until after 1920.
in between 1920 & 1983 i have to search the BMd qtr by qtr but i could not see him born in 1926 registered under either Strachan or Middleton.
also if the mother was married, the father is assumed to be the husband although not always the case.

Ewan was born in Scotland - most likely in the town of Fraserburgh or village of Cairnbulg/Inverallochy. Knowing both places, everybody knew everybody elses business so his mother would have been known as 'Bella fas man deet in the war".  ;)

Both he and his brother, my great grandfather Robert, went to England to work. Ewan settled there, but my great grandfather only settled there when he died. Ewan signed my great grandfather's death certificate in 1953.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 October 07 21:01 BST (UK) »
Ewan was born in Scotland - most likely in the town of Fraserburgh or village of Cairnbulg/Inverallochy. Knowing both places, everybody knew everybody elses business so his mother would have been known as 'Bella fas man deet in the war".  ;)

thats why i couldn't find him then!

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 October 07 04:10 BST (UK) »
freebmd

put all types

just put surname STRACHAN

and press dates say in multiples of 20
bingo you have a lot to look at

sylvia

notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 October 07 04:31 BST (UK) »
Yeaman STRACHAN      Male  50  Scotland  Seed Merchant & Nurseryman
 Mary Ann STRACHAN  Wife   Female  49  Wrexham Denbigh Wales     
 Emily M. STRACHAN  Daur    Female  7         "                 "          "

family search
any thing is possible with genealogy

Name Euan Strachan
Mother Maiden Surname  Hunter
Jan 2005
 Sunderland
  Durham

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 October 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help.
The 2002 one still seems likely to me given the Middleton connection.

If it is not him, and the other one isn't him, I suppose he could still be alive. He'd have to be 89/90 to go with the 1917/18 theory. His mother lived to 89 so that sort of puts it into perspective. He is though, always refered to in the past tense.

I'm still waiting on that reply from his niece. Her sister knows quite abit, but refuses to speak to me or anyone who will pass the information on to me - which is a shame. Afterall, it is my family too.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:03 GMT (UK) »
The Scotlands People update has led to some interesting results.

I was glad to see a Ewen Strachan born in Fraserburgh in 1918.
But then annoyed to see a Ewan Middleton Strachan born in Strichen (just down the road from Fraserburgh) in 1926.

Thus, the update hasn't helped much.

I do however, have a good idea of what is going on.
I think that the Ewen of 1918 is the Euan I am looking for.
I think the Ewan of 1926 is a close relation. I knew that my great great uncle George Strachan had a son called Ewen also. We know that his wife was still having children as late as 1928. We think that they were living in Strichen by 1927 because their daughter Barbara died there in 1927 (George followed in 1933). Thus, it is probable that Ewan Middleton Strachan of 1926 is their son. Perhaps the 'Middleton' part was inspired by his aunt, my Ewen's mother.

If my guess work is correct (that will be backed up by my next visit to the registrar) that means that my Ewen spells his name as E-W-E-N. (The spelling has been a headache). I have searched for a death in Scotland upto 2006 but have found nothing.

Could I be a pain and ask or people with English records to search for me with that spelling (Ewen) born in 1918? Sorry for dragging up this old thread but I'm closing in on him.

That is if he is dead. He would only need to be 89/90 to still be alive (however his nieces seem convinced that he is dead).

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I searched two different databases and still only can find

Ewen Middleton Strachan
Birth:    9 Mar 1926
Death:    Sep 2002 - Manchester, Lancashire

Sorry  :P

mab

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, I see.
Thanks for looking anyway.

So that probably means that he is either still alive, or died outside the UK.
We know that he was still in England in 1953. He would have been 35. It seems unlikely that he would have left the country after reaching a certain age (unless you are that 102 year old who left the UK for Australia last week).

Chances are he is still alive. That could be interesting.