Author Topic: Orkney to York Factory on Hudsons Bay.  (Read 13680 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Orkney to York Factory on Hudsons Bay.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 October 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
Although your family member is not mentioned on this site, it does mention that ships to York Factory sailed once a year from the Orkney's, and that the people on them served one or more terms in York Factory, before moving onto Red River or back home.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cockerline/red_river/1827census.html

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 October 07 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi China

Yes there was a John Sabiston that came over before our John Sabiston and started the Sabiston's of B.C. I know of him and have spoken to some of that family. Any Sabiston's from the Orkney Islands are related however distant.

The Sabiston's go back to the 8th Century on the Orkney Islands so there were many families by the time they started imigrating.
There was another John Sabiston that came over before the Vancouver Island one and he went to North Carolina, USA in the very late 1700's.

Our side John Sabiston, and the start of our Sabiston family, came over in 1860 and started work with the Hudson's Bay Company February 20, 1862.

Spanish Eyes

Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 October 07 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice

Thanks again for your help, I will check out this latest information and see what I can find out. I thought it would have been easy to find out when and where he sailed and which ship he was on.

I know when he arrived so maybe I can find out which ships were sailing for Hudson's Bay at the time and figure out that way which one he could have been on.

Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 October 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
I can't think of anything better than going back to Winnipeg, if you have the chance. 
Or maybe somebody here lives in the 'peg and can help you out some time.
If you become aware of anything in Ontario Archives that might give you the answer, I can check it out for you in person, assuming it doesn't take a huge amount of time, but I don't know of anything myself.
Best wishes.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 October 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
Spanish Eyes, if the information is in the archives, I am always happy to do lookups...But if you could write them, they will be more likely to help point the way... If I ask myself in person, they expect one to search out the information oneself, and it is most time consuming...Maybe say you are in B.C. and won't have time to do more than get into the files....

Let me know if you need me to do any HBC lookups... I really enjoy that...
I can look through York Factory files in your time range as well, but I won't be going there for a while....I'll let you know when I am going... or have you already done those searches?

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.
I haven't searched the archives for the passeneger lists or ships yet for John Sabiston. The last 2 times I have been back I have searched for other family information.

I will contact them and see if I can narrow down where to search for him and if you can help with lookups that would be great.

I will let you know what I find, hopefully they will lead me in the right direction. There has to be some record in HBC or York Factory on ships and passengers in 1860.

Thanks,  Spanish Eyes

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 April 08 04:20 BST (UK) »
Well, no further ahead right now...as I did get to look through Prince of Wales files, but they are ship's logs, not passenger lists....so just a list of names on board.
I also could not get onto a computer with it, and I have a problem in the dark.
Also when I get home I can usually enlarge the scanned image....
  So all I can tell you...that I could easily read Peter Sabiston in 1862, and another Sabiston, first name begins with J. but I couldn't see well enough to decipher the shortened forename...It actually looked more like Jas. than Jno  ::) ....but a scan should clear things up, as it has to be your man....
  I'll scan it next trip if I can get on the computer, as it begins the 1862 journey on the second film. but all you will have is the proof he was on the ship...there is no description for them other than "Stromneymen" written up the side of one, and something up side of the other list... again, a scan should reveal...

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 April 08 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks J.J. for trying for me, if you get a chance to scan it maybe we can tell if it is John. I will have to check and see who this Peter might be, perhaps he is a cousin.......

Still waiting on Vital Statistics, I may have to contact them and see what is taking them so long...

Spanish Eyes

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 April 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
yes vital stats seems to be making everyone wait...but you are the longest...they did,'t have any information for yours at all, though, if I recall, so they actually are having to search it out, I guess (  ::) )...I just looked at my notes and the side with J?. Sabiston said embarked 1st. July...and also that he was a labourer...It might be that one set came on board from somewhere else then...??? hopefully enlargement and a good look in a good light will reveal...