Author Topic: Orkney to York Factory on Hudsons Bay.  (Read 13689 times)

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
  • John - James William & Peter Elmer Sabiston
    • View Profile
Re: Orkney to York Factory on Hudsons Bay.
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 April 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
They take the payment immediatly but take their time doing anything and it isn't cheap either. Hopefully they will have lots for me when I do hear from them.

I had birth dates, marrige date and death dates so you would think they could find documents faster than they have been.

I will let you know once I hear.....
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

I Live In Aldergrove, BC, Canada (Outskirts Of Vancouver).

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 May 08 21:02 BST (UK) »
Well, I got back to scan the ship's log with the list of men...but now I have them I looked through and only see one Sabistion...a Jas. ( James)
Have found a Peter as a passenger .....Did I say there were any others?
Can't see your man on here...I also have the scan of the 1863 and don't see him in here either...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,303444.0.html
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 00:25 GMT (UK) »

Ernest Evan Seton Thompson a well-known artist and author, was related to my mothers side of the family and was most known as Ernest Evan Thompson Seton and his great grandfather was George Seton, 5th. and last Earl of Winton.

Hello Spanish Eyes,

Can't help with your John Sabiston, I'm afraid, but this quoted remark of yours intrigues me. There is considerable discussion of EET's (to use his birth initials - the Seton was added later) ,  immediate family going on in another thread. How? through which surnames(s)? was your mother's family related, may I ask? I am also distantly related to him.

Westoe

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 01:28 GMT (UK) »
this is the  thread in which he is discussed:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,194825.0.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westoe

My mothers grand parents (my great grandparents) were Richard Smith (1860) and Sarah Matilda "Tillie" Thompson (1872).

My mothers great grand parents (my great-great grandparents were Richard "William" M. Thompson (1824) and Elizabeth "Eliza" Ann Hamilton (1846).

Robert "William" is the brother to Joseph L. Thompson whose son is Ernest Seton-Thompson (Thompson-Seton).

It is said in our family history that my great grandmother Sarah Matilda was offered a heritance from the Seton will but she declined it. I have the paperwork somewhere.

I will check out the other thread on the Thompsons.....

Cheers, Spanish Eyes
Sabiston - Flett - Flette - Tourangeau - McDonald - Folster - Creelman - Linklater - Sorell - Cox - Kirkness - Harper - Bruce - Inkster - Patten - Fidler - Whyte...<br /><br />Orkey Islands, Scotland - British Columbia, Canada - Alberta, Canada - Saskatchewan, Canada - Manitoba, Canada - Ontario, Canada.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 November 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »

Robert "William" is the brother to Joseph L. Thompson whose son is Ernest Seton-Thompson (Thompson-Seton).

It is said in our family history that my great grandmother Sarah Matilda was offered a heritance from the Seton will but she declined it. I have the paperwork somewhere.

Hello Spanish Eyes,

Thank you for the reply. My apologies for taking so long to respond ..... to tell truly, I am quite non-plussed (grin). Another son in that generation is completely news to me.

There's  the matter of location: these Thompsons were originally Scots and were now quite established in the north of England - your Robert was born in Co. Tyrone.   .... ????....Everything's possible, just ..... not everything is probable ......

At the moment, I think you have the wrong JosephLTHOMPSON, but I would be very interested to know more about the Seton inheritance documentation you mentioned.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westoe

I just searched through some files and I must apologize...... Sarah Matilda Thompson got a letter in the 1930's with word that she had an inheritance from the Rosebery side of the family, not the Seton side.

In the papers and letters I have gone through it says that Sarah Matilda was a cousin of Ernest Seton-Thompson.

In one letter of information it also says that her father Robert "William" M. Thompson was born in Ireland or possibly Scotland (?) so possibly he was born in Scotland. On his headstone it says he was born in 1841 so the date I have of 1825 may be incorrect also.

It says on another document that Robert imigrated to Huron District in Ontario around Lucknow in Ashfield County in 1851. Robert obtained a Crown grant for 100 acres which he sucessfully farmed until 1875. In 1875 he took his wife and family. 5 boys and 5 girls by train across the United States to San Francisco where he then took a ship to Victoria, B.C. and then a river steamer to Chilliwack, B.C.

I wonder if my Robert Thompson was a cousin of Joseph Logan Thompson and not a brother??  It does get extremely confusing after awhile.

Spanish Eyes

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Spanish Eyes,

Lucknow, Ontario is in **Bruce** County which is adjacent to Huron County.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Spanish_Eyes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 10 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Westoe

I can only surmise that the family who originaly researched this got his birth place incorrect as they had County Tyrone, Ireland or possibly Scotland.

I have his wife's birth place as New Brunswick yet on that document it said they were both born in County Tyrone, Ireland and came over to Ontario together so you can see where my confusion is.

I suppose if I can find him in Ontario maybe I can find out who his parents were. The story of him going to Ontario, then to San Francisco, USA, then to Victoria, B.C. and up river to Chilliwack, B.C. came from his family in Chilliwack. It also says in a few letters how illusive this Thompson family has been.

Spanish Eyes