Author Topic: 1841 Ross Census Looup Please  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Barry R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Ross Census Looup Please
« on: Thursday 23 December 04 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I hope some kind soul can do a 1841 census lookup for me:

Looking for details of William Preece and family. William was a blacksmith living or working in Hatter's Lane, Ross. His wife's name was Mary.

Thanks,

Barry

Offline Daisyroot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Ross Census Looup Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry,This is the only William Preece i can find mentioned in the census at Ross..Ref..HO 107/421/17
KYRLE STREET..
Thomas Preece..60...Ag Lab...N
Mary Preece..50.....................N
William Preece..14..................Y

N/Y denotes whether they were born locally..I have just come across the family that you are perhaps looking for  in the 1851 -William Preece,Head,Blacksmith- ,have you got those details already??? ;D
All census information is Crown Copyright and from  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/<br /><br />

Offline Barry R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 January 05 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I don't know a lot about this side of the family which I've just started to research. All I have is that my gt-gt-grandmother, Mary (bap abt 1813), married a Joseph Ashford in Ross in 1839 & then moved to Newnham, Gloucestershire. Her parents were William (a blacksmith) & Mary Preese living in Ross. The only other info I have is that William has entries in Pigots 1830 & 1840 Herefordshire directories as being a blacksmith in Ross.

So, in light of the scant info, I'll gratefully receive everything you can dig out for me.

Regards,

Barry

Offline Daisyroot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 05 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,this is what's in the 1851 census...
Dean Hill St..
William Preece..Head..Married..77..Blacksmith employing 2 men..Brampton ,Herefordshire.
Mary Preece..Wife..married..69....How Caple,Herefordshire.
William..do..son..married..40...Ross.
John..do.....son..unmarried..31..Ross.
Ann...do....daughter..unmarried..26.
Joseph Ashford..Grandson..11..Scholar..Newnham,Glos.
Mary Ashford..Granddaughter..11..Scholar..do..
Caroline Ashford..Granddaughter ..8..scholar..do
Ann Ashford..Granddaughter..5..scholar..do
Johnathan Lane..Servant..unmarried..33.Blacksmith servant..welch???,Herefordshire..
If you would like me to send you the image just send me a p/m with an email address i can send it to as it's too big to get on here.. ;D
All census information is Crown Copyright and from  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/<br /><br />

Offline Barry R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 January 05 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Florence,

That's great news. It is certainly the right family because of the Ashford grandchildren tho it raises the question of why were they with their grandparents when their mother Mary & her new husband were living in the Midlands but I guess that's for another rainy day. I'll send you a p/m with my email address.

As you're now my Herefordshire census expert !! do you have 1841 coverage for Little Birch as the above Mary's new husband came from there ?

Thanks once again,

Barry

Offline Preece67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 05 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barry

I am a member of the Guild of One Name Studies, and have a database of well over 100,000 Preece entries (my website is at www.preece67.fsnet.co.uk).

I am in touch with others from your Preece link, the family has been traced back to the Brampton Abbotts area near Ross, so far back to around 1760. William was one of a number of children, and quite a lot of information is known about some of them.

Drop me a PM with an email address if you would like me to send more detailed information, not enough room here to explain it fully!

Regards

Ian Preece
PREECE Bodenham (HEF), Newent (GLS), Orcop (HEF), Hartpury (GLS), Upton on Severn (WOR)
TAYLOR Walsall (STS), Brierley Hill (STS)
CARTWRIGHT Brierley Hill (STS)
ILSLEY Birmingham (WAR)
HODGETTS Bromsgrove (WOR)