Author Topic: 1891 Census Lookup - Tenterden, Kent - Judge  (Read 4858 times)

Offline foxglove

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:1891 Census Lookup - Tenterden, Kent - Judge
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 May 04 23:58 BST (UK) »
Geoff,

Sorry, I neglected to clarify that Charles Judge - Brewer's Labourer  on the 1901 Census was living at Tenterden.
Searching for BREEDS/BREADS, FARNDELL, JOY, DOBELL, FARMER, FRIEND, AUSTIN/AUSTEN, KENNARD, BRITCHER, WATERS, EAST, KIRBY in Kent and East Sussex,  also JENNINGS, BELL, COULTAS  in Yorkshire

Offline Geoff B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:1891 Census Lookup - Tenterden, Kent - Judge
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 May 04 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Foxglove

Many thanks for all your efforts to help in identifying my Judge family. As I have the PRO reference for Charles's birth I will just have to send for the certificate which will answer my query once and for all. As it isn't my direct relation (son-in-law's family) I was trying hard to establish the family details without cost but unfortunately that is not to be.

Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Geoff

Offline sj511

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Census Lookup - Tenterden, Kent - Judge
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 April 16 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff

Came across your post from 2004 by chance - are you still interested in Charles Judge?

(One of them was my great-grandfather)

Offline sj511

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 April 16 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Foxglove

Thank you for your message - the system won't let me respond personally yet.

The Charles Judge who was my great grandfather was a sapper in Royal Engineers during the 1st world war (I have his medals). He had a daughter called Dorothy who was my grandmother - my father was born out of wedlock which was a huge problem in those days. Dorothy emigrated to New Zealand and my father was brought up by Charles. The name Fuggle does ring a bell but I can't remember why and all the generation that would know has passed away

Does this match your relatives history?

Offline sj511

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 April 16 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hello again Foxglove
Dorothy's trip in 1956 was a visit back to the UK. My parents were living at 131 so she must have used that addres for the return voyage. I was born there.

Dorothy was questioned at length by my maternal grandmother (so family history goes) and my natural grandfather's surname was apparently Bishop. It was a very small place then, we only found one Bishop in the census whose age would fit - he was the son of the landlord of a pub in Tenterden and Dorothy's grandfather Tom was landlord of the pub in nearby Rolvenden, so it might fit. I'll never know though because he was killed in WWII. (The pub in Rolvenden is called The Star, still going and a very nice little pub.)

There is a quite grand tombstone in Rolvenden churchyard commemorating Tom and his family. Looking further back, the family seems to have been farm labourers in Rolvenden.

The name Judge is not very common - I did read somewhere that there is an Irish branch and there could well be some travellers who had to leave Ireland in the 19th century, but I found nothing in my family tree.

I tried once to see if I could find my relatives in New Zealand as I've lost track of all my relatives on that side of the family, but couldn't work out how (any advice gratefully received).

Offline sj511

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 April 16 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Foxglove - I'll follow up the leads you sent me.

Offline Geoff B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi SJ

I don't think we are looking at the same Charles Judge, mine turned out to be Charles Geoffrey JUDGE b 1876 in Rolvenden, he and his wife Ellen Hoare had 6 children the youngest being Charles Frederick JUDGE b 1915 who is my son-in-law's late grandfather. Please let me know if this line is of any interest to you and if so would gladly share information.