Author Topic: Xaver Beinberger from Bavaria to Alberta  (Read 7126 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Xaver Beinberger from Bavaria to Alberta
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 01:11 BST (UK) »
No I just put the information into this database...and the NE part was not listed...
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/western-land-grants/001007-100.01-e.php

but here is the map if you wish to see the location, although googling the district on google maps would be far more interesting... ;D J.J.
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/nmc/n0043265.pdf

I am afraid that the sheer date of events will make this all very difficult, no matter what Province...I was shocked to see that both bodies were found. This would indicate a disease or something similar, one would think....but because no children were mentioned, and they kept to themselves...the obit may not be much help either... I think it is also odd that there is no mention of the wife's name as she would have been from the region  :(....I surely hope that you can find something... J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 01:29 BST (UK) »

I hope he lived anywhere else than Alberta, so I have better chances to find out something more.

;D  ;D  Can't say as I blame you hoping he lives somewhere other than Alberta.  I got a good laugh when I read that..  It really is a sad state of affairs here with the lack of available records.

"Their bodies were found on their farm in August of 1967."

ewww that sounds a little ominous... wonder what happened??

J.J.  last time I bought any certificates was 2 years ago and they cost $35.00 each.  It wasn't easy to get them and I almost had to give them my first born child.  They made me turn inside out proving that I was my parent's daughter in order to get their death certificates and wouldn't give me my greatgrandparent's death certificates until they had done some "internal checking" whatever the heck that means.

The thing that really ticks me off is that you don't even deal directly with someone who works for the Provincial Government.  They source the information out to agencies who then charge you a "government fee" as well as an agency charge.  Are these workers not part of the "public" and so therefore my very private information does have public access??  ::) ::)

Svenja I will try and find out anything I can for you but as you do I also hope that he was somewhere else before he came to Alberta.

dollylee

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 01:50 BST (UK) »
That's funny, Dollylee... because I think got that information of cost from a government sponsored help sheet for vital stat costs in each Province...I'll have to look and see if I can find it again.... ;D  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 02:30 BST (UK) »
J.J.  The price I had to pay was for an Alberta resident and probably didn't include the postage charge...I only remember the certificates themselves were $35 and from what I have read that would be a $20 government fee and $15 registry fee.  I didn't shop around to see if prices varied from registry to registry.

I believe the government fee for non-residents is $40. so if you add the registry fee of $15 and postage you could well be in the $60 range... I was just stating what the cost is for a resident.  It is possible that other Alberta residents reading this post would be scared off by the $60 non resident price.

dollylee

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm still searching more Infos about the life of Xaver Beinberger in
Canada and the origins of his wife Anna. Unfortunately I haven't
got an answer from the Albertan libraries in the region he lived.

A few weeks ago I visited a niece of Xaver Beinberger in Germany.
So I had the possibility to scan several photos which show
Xaver Beinberger and his wife Anna. The portrait of Anna was
taken in Montreal, but I don't know when.

By the way the niece told me, that there was a diary, where
Xaver had described the journey on the ship to Canada. But
unfortunately she don't know if this document still exists.

Svenja
Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 January 08 14:54 GMT (UK) »
~SIGH~ finding someone within that time frame is hard at the best of times. Plus the fact that they chose to be by themselves made it hard for them to be noticed. 
You could order the complete information from the ship's list to see where he was headed when he first landed...but that isn't always reliable information
as he may have changed his mind anyway.
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-500-e.html

as a last resort, there would be information here, but one has to pay for it.
Plus it depends how honest or vague the answers were to the questions asked. Plus they ask for the area in which the person lived at the time of Registration...but surely with such a different name, they would be able to find it for you...around $50. Canadian...and no guarantees....He may have been lying low with a German name at this time, and changed his name briefly anyway....that happened as well....
National Registration File of 1940
http://www.statcan.ca:8096/bsolc/english/bsolc?catno=93C0006

and as you say waiting until the 1931, unfortunately, may only get you the age of Anna and her birth Province or country of origin, anyway....and the chances of him marrying within a few years aren't huge either....

Nice photos....sorry that there is no answer in Alberta. I would think they'd have written if anything had been found.  :D  J.J.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 January 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
http://www.ourfutureourpast.ca/ - there are some newspapers online here, but not for the exact area. :(

The newspaper you probably need is the Westlock Witness (later the Westlock Times), and there is a library in Westlock.

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html - if they were living in Montreal at any point, you might be able to find them here.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 January 08 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Svenja

After reading your new post yesterday I sent emails to all three address's I could find for the Westlock & District Historical Society, unfortunately all three were to the same contact person (but different address's) and all three bounced back.  The Society doesn't have a website but I found the email address's on other Westlock sites so I had no where left to go with that.

I then sent an email to the Westlock News which is a weekly newspaper that has been published since 1911 asking if their archives could be accessed by the public.  I gave them limited information of the event and the time frame we are looking for.

I didn't want to post that information in fear that they wouldn't respond and my dear province of Alberta would once again look bad  :o) .... No answer yet so I fear we may not get one.

If I don't get a response by tomorrow I will call the town office and see if we can get anywhere.  If it wasn't -24C and the dead of winter I would just jump in my car and go out there. 

Hope to find something out soon.

dollylee

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Update for what it's worth...

I found another address for the Westlock Society contact person and sent another email to him.  The difference this time was that I actually realized when I typed in the address that he quite possibly could be a second cousin of mine, one I had never met.

He replied and although he is no longer involved with the Society and has moved from the area,  he did give me the names of a few contacts I can try that he says are involved with history and genealogy of the area.

So I will do that shortly and I guess we will see what happens.  I know I am not getting anywhere but I am sure trying !!!

Haven't heard a thing back from the newspaper.

dollylee