Author Topic: Blackstocks from Cavan?  (Read 11603 times)

Offline rainmont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fraser
    • View Profile
Blackstocks from Cavan?
« on: Monday 15 October 07 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for information on my Blackstock ancestors that are rumored to have immigrated from Cavan, Ireland, to Wigtownshire, Scotland.

John Blackstock, b. Ireland between 1740 and 1768
   +Ann Blackstock, b. circa 1768 at Ireland, m. abt. 1791 at Ireland
   ├── William Blackstock, b. circa 1792 at Ireland, d. 13 May 1877 at Kirkcolm, Wigtownshire, Scotland
   │   +Agnes Young, b. between 1792 and 1796 at Ireland, m. circa 1815, d. between 1851 and 13 May 1877
   │   
   └── James Blackstock, b. circa 1806 at Ireland, d. 26 Jul 1881 at Kirkcolm, WIG, Scotland
       +Margaret Moffat, b. 1806 at Ireland, m. 1 Jun 1826 at Kirkcolm, WIG, Scotland, d. 1878 at Kirkcolm, WIG, Scotland

If anyone has any additional information on these Blackstocks in Ireland, I would love to hear from you.  I am happy to share what I have on the family in Scotland.

Regards
Trish
Wagstaffs of Ayrshire, Scotland
Fergusons of Ayrshire, Scotland
Frasers of Wigtownshire, Scotland
Blackstocks of Wigtownshire, Scotland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Blackstocks from Cavan?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 08 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Trish,

What denomination were your Blackstock, Moffat and Young ancestors? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or possibly Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline Xborder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 08 22:50 BST (UK) »
Trish
I don't know if you're still out there, but if you are - I'm descended from James Blackstock and Margaret Moffat in Kirkcolm, and working on them at the moment.  Am interested to know where the Cavan link came from as I thought they were probably from Co. Down?

Hope you see this- I'd love to hear from you

Sheila

Offline rainmont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 08 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila - so glad to hear from you!

I am descended from Ann Blackstock (1816-1882) who married Alexander Fraser in Kirkcolm (1834).  Our information is that Ann was the daughter of William Blackstock and Agnes Young (both born in Ireland).  Ann was born, and died, in Kirkcolm.  Where it gets hazy is that we think Ann's father William could be the brother of your James Blackstock who married Margaret Moffat.  We also think his parents may be John and Ann Blackstock married 1791 in Cavan, Ire. (my mom got Cavan from info. in an IGI Individual Record, FamilySearch, International Genealogical Index v5.0, British Isles).

I'm hoping that you have some information that could help us clear this up.  You can contact me directly.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards,
Trish

Offline rainmont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 14:42 BST (UK) »
Sheila,

I tried emailing you a couple of times at your personal email address, but not sure if you received my messages.  Please try me again at (*)
Thanks!
Trish

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline USscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 March 09 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I am related to James Blackstock and Margaret Moffat, they are my maternal grandmother's grandparents.  Jane Blackstock married James Thompson and they emigrated to Canada about 1911.  They were Presbyterian, I have James Blackstock's bible. I am curious about the number of Blackstocks from Dumfries and the reference in one of the censuses James and Margaret Blackstock were born in Ireland;  are they Irish or Scottish?
If anyone wants to share please contact me.
Jeannie

Offline rainmont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 09 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Jeannie,

Hello, its nice to hear from you.  Was your Jane the daughter of James and Margaret?  I have that they had 12 children, including Jean (Jane) b. 1847 and Janet b. 1838.  We think that James Blackstock is the brother of my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather William Blackstock who was also born in Ireland and immigrated to this area of Scotland.  Sheila, also on this post, has researched the Blackstocks extensively - I will forward your post to her in case she doesn't see it.

Cheers,
Trish

Offline USscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 09 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Trish,
Thanks for the prompt reply.  My uncle was able to get death records in the 1970's when he visited Scotland.  My grandmother told him that James Blackstock had a sister, Jean who married a Boyd--searching censuses couldn't find a connection.  Also, my grandmother remembers visiting his gravesite near Stranraer about 1896 (she was born in 1887), she took a buggy ride to the site! The Blackstock girls married Maitlands, Edgars, Thompsons.
Keep me posted!
Jeannie

Offline rainmont

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 09 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeannie,

We must be talking about the same family.  I have the Blackstock girls married to a Maitland (Ann), an Edgar (Sarah), and a Ross (Margaret), but I don't have the Thompson marriage.

I have James Blackstock (who married Margaret Moffat) with a brother William (my relation), and apparently they had a sister Agnes (a.k.a. Nancy), but I didn't know about a Jean married to a Boyd.  That is really interesting!

I am visiting Stranraer in May and will have to look for James' grave site...

- Trish