Poll

Which age group are you in ? Please answer truthfully. No one will know which option you select!

Female Under 20
Female 21-30
Female 31-40
Female 41-50
Female 51-60
Female 61-70
Female Over 71-80
Female Over 80
Male Under 20
Male 21-30
Male 31-40
Male 41-50
Male 51-60
Male 61-70
Male 71-80
Male Over 80

Author Topic: Average Age of Family History Enthusiasts  (Read 7241 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Average Age of Family History Enthusiasts
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Young, Middle-aged, Old, ... ??

Judging by various reasons given in other threads, it is more likely a function of

"when my XXXXXX died, I started ...... "

Where XXXXXXX is the relative who died and made you start thinking about family, and where did we come from, etc.

I am 58, and I started about a year ago, when I went throught the various papers and photos from and about my Grandfather, which my Grandmother left me, when she died.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline minime

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Again I am the youngin' in the group...but like Arabella, I came to realize that there's not many left to answer the questions pertaining to my Birchall side. ( Preciselly 1 person, and she's not sure of much at all.) Pretty funny too that one of the name's of the Birchall's on my side was Arabella. LOL!!!

Anyway, I've been doing this for almost a year and love every minute of it. Good hunting to all.

Minime
Birchall, Cooper, Kearns, Hope, Desmarias
Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada?, France?

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Luckily for me because of my age (I'm the only perosn under 20 at the mo), both of my Grandmothers remain alive and I've had allot of help from them both, as well as there remaining siblings and various other elderly relations. I started doing my Family History nearly two years ago with the goal of learning, for my Grandma, who her Grandparents were as she never knew them. Now, I have started to do it a little more for myself as I never knew either of my Grandfathers; I simply had to learn more about them!!

:)
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Similarly to Ryan I never knew either of my grandfathers and my mother's mother died when I was one. Luckily she had a twin who made up for a fair bit!  :)
I was 35 two weeks ago, so still fairly young by the averages!
I should like to mention that I am now officially a veteran for sporting purposes though. It always used to be 40 for men, but changed this year to be the same as for women (equal rights!).  ;)
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline bel_jon68

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I got into family history quite by accident earlier this year.  Having suspected for 20 years or so that one of my parents was adopted, a remark by someone unrelated to me that partially confirmed my suspicions led me to wonder how I'd go about finding out whether this was true...

I was a bit baffled at first by all the information available on the internet, but then I made my best find ever - ROOTSCHAT!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Now I am totally hooked - right now I'm supposed to be finishing a report for work that the client wants tomorrow...just need to find the birth of my gggggrandfather first... ;)

I think the younger you are when you get into family history, the better.  My adoptive grandmother (can I call her that?) lived to the ripe old age of 92 but died several years ago, before I got into all this.  I don't have any elderly living relatives I can glean info from apart from one who I sadly rarely see...come to think of it, I haven't many immediate relatives at all (no aunts, uncles, cousins), only lots of ancestors!!!  That's one of the reasons I'd like to trace my biological grandparents - I could have a whole host of living relatives out there, just waiting to be fallen out with over Christmas!!!!!

I'm under 40 but officially a sporting veteran too...

Bel
Researching
ARTHUR, ROBERTS, LEWIS and WILLIAMS in Denbighshire/Merionethshire/Glamorgan
EVANS and JONES in Montgomeryshire
FALLOW(E)S, JONES, PREECE and GITTON in Shropshire
and the list keeps growing...
(March 2006) Now looking for HINKS, SPARKES, INGRAM from West Midlands area

Offline c w

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Apparently I am 42, but I was unaware of the fact!

But I have recently seen a few friends from school - to find quite a few of the 'boys' to be bald or severely grey, and a lot of the 'girls' to be quite, (to be frank) -"WRINKLY". 

So I am no longer worried about how old I am - but I am still worried about how much weight Ihave put on!

But, I suppose having two children after I was37 and also an inexplainable love of chocolate may have something to do with it? ! ?
Chidgey (west Somerset)
Morgan(Radnorshire & Tredegar, Mon.)
Griffiths (Tredegar, Mon.)
Morgan (Monmouthshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irialouisa

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Am 40 and Married with 3 Children...I started Doing My Family Tree About 10 Years Ago.. I was Longing to know who my Mums Mother Was Because my Mum Never ever Talked about Her... Finaly 2 Years ago i got a photograph of her from family that i never knew i had in the U.S.A

Regards

Iria
Dyson..Liverpool
Slater..Liverpool
Garner..Liverpool
Murray..Liverpool
Harold..Liverpool

Offline graygen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 December 04 05:13 GMT (UK) »

Hi there

Became very aware of my age reading these postings -I am 47!!!but still feel 17. I am waiting to feel"grown up" - when does it happen.

I did the first part of my tree when I was in my twenties and used to spend hours chatting with my "wee"granny in Scotland I treasure a letter she sent with BMDs in answer to my questions...

With the demands of work and family and the time need to travel and search through records I confess I did little for several years.Enthusiasm was rekindledwith the advent of two golden weddings in the family and the vague notion that a "family tree" would be a nice present...now I am hooked,becoming obsessive!!

Love browsing through rootschat and finding others that share the same excitement of finding an elusive scrap of information!

All I want for Christmas is info on the parents of George MORRISON b New Cummnock 20 Jul 1813 - hope Santa obliges.

Margaret

SUSSEX - Burton, Gray, Kennard, Sheppard, Breach, Grayling  SURREY - King
ABERDEEN(Cairnie, Gartly, Old Machad- Pirie, Morrison, Ogg, Munro,Alexander,   LANARK - Meharry, Lundey  MIDLOTHIAN - Lockhart, Archibald, Higgins DUNBARTON - Mc Culloch, Morrison, McLellan, Semple, Brown, Hutchings,

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 23 December 04 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I am 47. Getting ever near to that half century.

I started this hobby a 5 years ago trying to find out about my father's birth mother Sophia Ross. I have still not found her and to get over the frustration I started doing my mother's line.

I read somewhere that research in genealogy is good for the grey matter.(I am not sure about that, all it has done for me is give me more grey hairs). Does that stop us though, not a bit. like the rest of you I am hooked.

Merry Christmas to you all.

dinkey
TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD