Author Topic: Laurence Smith, Shetland  (Read 26546 times)

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Due to health issues can no longer look at graves.
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence Smith, Shetland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 02:19 BST (UK) »
My Thomas Smith was born in May 1854 in Houss, Burra.  He was on the Census in 1871 & then just disappears.  The person running Bayanne Site seems to know nothing about him so we need to know the birth of your Thomas Smith.  Check out Tony Gott's site called Bayanne.

Lauraine
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Seeing as I live in the south of England and I have only ever visited Shetland once, it is difficult for me to access any historic data in person.
Please can anyone enlighten me about my Shetland side of the family? It has always fascinated me and I have always felt a connection with the island (including my years of fiddle playing!)

Scotland's People website (pay per view) has Scottish vital and census records and lots more.

There are other resources here under SHETLAND RESOURCES at the top of this board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=507209.0

See that you've posted looking for information about your grandmother- would be a good idea if you could go back to the topic and give us an idea of when she was born and any other information that might make it easier to help you-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=507209.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
Folks,  you might be lucky & find something on,

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/index/SCT-ShETLAND

Skoosh.

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Researching Smith from Shetland, Herd from Arboath, Whittier, Combs from England & Wales plus Albrecht (Albright), Carkner (Kirchner) & Syrnyk (Syrnick) from Prussia. Laurenson in South Africa

Offline Lauraine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Laurence Smith b. b. 1812 d 1857
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi  All

Just wanted to tell you that I finally found the information on this great grandfather.  It cmd form the Wick Carnegie Library in Scotland.  There was a write up about his drowning in 1857.

Want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2018.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Result Lauraine, still searching for my Shetland gg grandfather! A Good New Year when it comes!

Skoosh.