Author Topic: Too easy????  (Read 7968 times)

Offline fek33

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad 10/2/1913 - 23/7/2008
    • View Profile
Re: Too easy????
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara,

I must admit I've had a lot of luck on one branch of my family, having found details of my 5 x greatgrandfather back to 1735, as they seemed to stay in one area local to me.  Also my 94 year old grandfather has given me a lot of help  ;D

My father's side is proving more difficult  ::)

I too am hoping to find out more about their lives, etc instead of just names on a tree  :-\

Good luck !!

FEK 33
BARTRAM - Leics / London  /  SELBY - Nottingham / Leicestershire  /  FLETCHER - Walton / Burton on the Wolds / Leicester  / MERRALL / MERRILL - Leicester / Australia NSW  /  TOMKINS - Leicester / PURDY - Langley Mills, Derbys / BIRTCHNELL - Leics / Ipswich / BOYER - Markfield, Woodhouse, Swithland, Leics  /  WELLS - Leicester /  MARSTON Derbys / Leics / WARD Shepshed / Leics / BLACK Loughborough / Leicester

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:32 BST (UK) »
i don't mean to make people green!  i am sure i will come across problems but i think its because my families have lived in the same places for many generations.  i just wondered if i am doing the right thing.  Also i am just going back by grandparents then their parents and their etc, haven't gone sideays at all.  should i?

Sorry Sara, I'm not green really!

It does make a huge difference when you have family that have stayed in a local area for many generations.  I have about 75% of my family from a small area of East Sussex which is great when researching them. 

However one problem I do find is that you may come across common names, for instance I have a few examples where I have been trying to find a baptism, eg James Winchester born 1828, I then find a choice of 3 in the same area all born within months of each other.

I guess names must have been fashionable or something!

Good luck with your research Sara

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:43 BST (UK) »

i really want to research their lives too.  is there anywhere i can look at freemasonary?  my g grandfather was a freemason and it would be interesting to see what that is about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Freemasonry

If you look at the above link sara it should help with your understanding of Freemasonry .. plus you could always Google for further information!  :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 19:20 BST (UK) »
However one problem I do find is that you may come across common names, for instance I have a few examples where I have been trying to find a baptism, eg James Winchester born 1828, I then find a choice of 3 in the same area all born within months of each other.

Snap!  I've got 3 Henry Knapps and 3 Henry Pottens, drove me crazy trying to discover which one was mine ::)

Sara, well done for not being afraid to order those certificates, it does help.
You will probably find that your tree will like some of ours, grow very rapidy sideways.  It can be just as interesting to discover what the brothers and sisters of your direct ancestors got up to.
You'll learn a lot of things they did'nt teach you in school too.  My geography has certainly improved!.

Good luck
Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
Sara,

To add my two cents, I always go sideways. it helps me learn about the people and how they lived, sometimes the tragedy and heartache they had (10 children, 3 made it to adulthood kind of thing). I have also found it useful to trace some of these lines forward and find the living relatives. I have gotten stories, pictures, and further back on my research by doing this.

Whenever you come up with a little fact about a family member (organization they were members of, places they worked, anything), do a search on your computer. With the touch of a finger, you can find so much out about their occupation, town, lifestyle, right on the computer. And of course come to Rootschat. Whenever in doubt, there is always someone here to help.

Good luck and I look forward to reading snippets about your research on here.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
i would like to find out more than just names and dates, perhaps what life was like, etc to give my ancestors character.  does anyone do this?

Most definitely. The names and dates are the framework. The joy for me is trying to fill in as much of their lives as possible. But it's also all the surrounding research. I've spent a month trying to find out about something called 'Jim Crow' Hats that men wore. This has taken me into the slave trade. It just goes on being more and more interesting.

Enjoy!
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:26 BST (UK) »
I found my great great uncle's second wife (who appeared on the 1881 census) about 15 minutes ago.  I have been looking for her for about two years now. Gave up and forgot about her until tonight.
Tonight I found her without any problem  ::) Why didn't I find her before, and why did I suddenly think of her out of the blue tonight  ???
I am dead chuffed as we Northern lassies say, as she bugged me all that time while looking for her.
It just goes to show..never give up...they are out there waiting to be found.
Now...
George Henry Bowyer (Mum's grandfather) where the heck are you  ???

Su  :D
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 October 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone.  i am so excited now to learn more and more............  watch this space!

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 October 07 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara,

I was going to reply more fully but can't put it any better than "lizdb" did,  ;D ;D really good advice, the main thing is to have fun whilst finding out things about the past. I have learnt so much - I still have many ancestors to find and have gone very "sideways" but you make contact with some really nice people along the way.

Good luck and Happy Hunting,

Crystal :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk