Author Topic: Indian timber company - disowned daughter  (Read 1972 times)

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Indian timber company - disowned daughter
« on: Wednesday 17 October 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been doing some FH for a friend, and I'm researching Lily Isabella Amanda Maria Ogborne/Ogbourne. I have found her in the censuses when she was in England, and from what  I can gather (mainly based on the contents of this rootsweb posting http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/INDIA/2005-05/1115379298 ) this is the story so far:

She came over from India after she was disowned by her family as a result of her marriage to James Welch. The family apparently owned a timber company in or around Allahabad.

My thinking is that with such an unusual name and set of circumstances, some info must exist on the company and/or family somewhere. I've tried emailing the original poster and googling the name but so far I haven't had much luck.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or info that could help me? I have never had anything like this come up in my own family history, so I'm completely new to it!

Thanks in anticipation

Erin  :)

UPDATE: I have found a marriage on www.fibis.org between Geo. B.B Ogborne and Isabella A Duncan in 1858 in Bengal. I believe that this could be her parents as the Isabella name matches Lily's middle name, and Lily named one of her sons Frederick Henry Duncan.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Indian timber company - disowned daughter
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 October 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
I can see her marriage on FIBIS (as Ogbourne) in 1879:

http://www.bllearning.co.uk/collections/oiocfamilyhistory/familyeccles.html
 - if you get hold of the marriage record that should give you her father's name and occupation - which will hopefully confirm him as George and give his occupation.  I haven't been able to find anything on this family in the Times.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Indian timber company - disowned daughter
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry I took so long to get back to you. Thanks for the link; I managed to make contact with the original rootsweb poster, so I have passed the info onto her.
Thanks for taking the time to look the family up in The Times.
Erin  :)