Author Topic: bervie fishing folk - ritchie/mowatt  (Read 75572 times)

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
Re: bervie fishing folk - ritchie/mowatt
« Reply #27 on: Monday 29 September 08 06:44 BST (UK) »
Nice dilemma you have.

Perhaps James was also known as Robert within the family or vice versa. I have a Charles who was also Thomas in some records and another James was listed as Thomas in a census, wife and family the same!!!

I have a link with GORDONS of BERVIE, my gggrandfather was John Gordon b BERVIE 1818 son of John Gordon 1790 and Rebecca Webster.

Prior to emigrating in the 1850's to Australia, John Gordon 1818 was the manager of the Montrose pottery. His father John b 1790 was killed when a sandbank collapsed on him. In his will we left a large sum of money to found a school. His sister Jean/Jane b 1814 and brother Alexander 1821 also came to Australia.

John b 1790 has a sister Jean/Jane Gordon b 1803 also twin brothers James and Alexander b 1808 (other siblings names Hugh, Rachel, Ann& Robert, parents Thomas Gordon and Jean Longmuir.)

The earliest records I have are for John Gordon c 1730 who married Cristian Coutts. I believe that these individuals are buried in the cemetery in Bervie as sks has transcribed the headstones for me. No proof but it has been suggested that his father was Lewis Gordon and his mother Katharine Forbes.

regards

Robyn in Australia
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 29 September 08 08:17 BST (UK) »
I did a scotlandspeople search for the 1841 census.. for Andrew Mowat age 14-20, since Andrew, born to Robert Mowat, and Jane Gordon was born Sept 1826.

results:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

The one I paid for is interesting, I will explain it (if anyone wants the image, ask me and I'll email it)

Here are a list of Surnames (& heads) on the two pages returned (so you can see neighbours)

in Gourdon

Charles Ogilvie (age 33)
Michael Gowary (sp?) (age 22)
William Legg (age 36)
James Milne (age 34)
William Dunbar (age 25)
James Milne (age 60)
**James Mowat (age 30)
household members are:
-Margaret (I figured maiden name Duncan) -30
- James - 15
- William - 11
- John - 8
- Jean Spence Mowat - 5
- Andrew - 3
-----------(next home)----------
**Isabella Mowat (Mouat age 60)
Alexander (age 25)
John (age 20)
May (age 20)
Andrew (age 15)

-----------(next home)----------
Lilias Freeman (age 50)

~~~~~~~~~done~~~~~~~

Well, that Andrew in that last house could be the one born to Robert and Jean Gordon. I have not found them yet on the 1841 census. I will keep looking.

Question, who is Isabella Mowat age 60? I don't think I have an Isabell in my tree, who married a Mowat, that I can think of...

More later
Tammy

Offline ripriprip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 September 08 08:34 BST (UK) »
Ok
Donovan!

I found Robert & Jean, and there is a James in the home. I'm not going to transcribe the two pages I paid for this time, because the writing is a bit harder to read.

I will post the list of all the records returned on my search, in case that helps others. Then I will transcribe the household of Robert Mowat (only).

Results:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

I have found an effective way to search, using:
"mouat"; Use Soundex: On;
-seems to cover all the spellings of Mowat, while not including surnames like Mathew.

Anyway, here is Roberts family

Living in Bervie, placename is Fishers Gate

Robt Mowat (Mouat) - 35 Ag Lab
Jean - 30
Jean (looks like Jr) - 14 (looks like flax spnr)
James - 11
Ann - 8
Robt - 4
May - 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~end~~~~~~~~

I would like to remind every one that the census was to record who ever slept in the home the nite of 6 June 1841.
People ages 0-15 had their ages recorded. People over 15 had their ages rounded down to the nearest 5.

Therefore, Robert is supposed to be 39, he has been recorded as 35.

Perhaps the Andrew in the last post is the son of Robert, maybe he just slept over at family's home that night.

Anyone wants the image, email me
I will send.

Tammy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline talkingtojo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 September 08 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hello;

Re: Isabella Mowat > I have George Grieve (1731-1809) married Rebecca Malcolm (1737-1833) who had Isabella Grieve (1777-1861).  She married John Mowatt Jan, 12, 1801 in Bervie.  Is this the Isabella you refer to?

JoAnne

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Isles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 September 08 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hallo Donovan and others.
Having a spare credit for ScotlandsPeople I downloaded the marriage certificate of James Mowatt and his second wife, Charlotte Freeman.  It confirms that his parents were Robert Mowatt and Jane Gordon.

Statutory Marriages 312/00  0033
James Mowatt, Journeyman Baker aged 48, usual residence 1 Queen St. Montrose married at 8 Reform Street, Montrose on 6 Mar 1879 to Charlotte Freeman, domestic servant aged 35, usual residence 10 Reform Street, Montrose.  His parents: Robert Mowatt, ploughman (deceased) and Jane Gordon (deceased).  Her parents:
Mother - Jane Freeman, domestic servant ( father's name not given).

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 October 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Thank you for confirming this for me. I can now confidently add an entire branch to the family tree.

I am now on another mission. Something has intrigued me for a while. James Mowatt 1733 had three brothers - William 1732, John 1738 and George 1740.

The story is that the press gang came during the seven years war and took three of the brothers. James was spared as he was cripple. He then moved to the village of Gourdon.
I see from posts and websites that William eventually settled in Fetteresso. But I havent been able to find any further info on the other two brothers.

Does anyone know what happened to them?

Regards
Donovan

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 November 08 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I have a Mowat connection with a Margaret MOWAT marr.James Mearns MCBAY,Bervie,Kinc.c1919.
James died 1928 aged 38,due to a RNLI lifeboat overturnig in a harbour after a rescue.I believe James was born in the parish of Benholm and is my 3c2r.I do not have any further information on Margaret.
Does anyone recognise this family.
Many thanks ;)
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline Isles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 November 08 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foggyman.  Although I have no connection to your McBay/Mowatt family I know James McBay's son. James also had at least one more child.  You may know this already but in any case here is the descent of this family of McBays:

James McBay
m. 1770 St Cyrus, Margaret Blews.

Alexander McBay 1769-1855
m. 1802 St Cyrus, Christian Ritchie.
He was a sailor & fisherman born Milton, St Cyrus and spent 16 years in Johnshaven.

Edward McBay 1804-1848
m. 1827 St Cyrus, Isobel Mearns.

John Mearns McBay 1828-1897
m. 1) Ann Davidson
     2) Elizabeth Pert

Logie McBay 1850-1933
m. 1874, Agnes Donaldson

James McBay 1882
m. Margaret Mowatt

1 daughter &1 son (the latter still alive).

I hope this is of some help.  If you give me a little more time I'll try and trace Margaret Mowatt's forebears.
I have now found that  Margaret Criggie Mowatt's first husband (m. 4 Nov 1910 at Mowatt's Lane, Gourdon) was David Gibb, a fisherman living at Mid St. Johnshaven.  Her second husband (m. 1919 Bervie) was James D. McBay, a widower living at Fore St. Johnshaven. Margaret was born about 1884 and died in 1970.  Her parents were Munro Mowatt who married Margaret Smith.  According to Margaret Criggie Mowatt's birth certificate they married at Arbroath on 4 Oct 1876.  I could not trace the marriage and also was unable to trace Munro's birth.

1927 - 2010

Burness; Dickson; Moncur; Bowman

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 November 08 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Corrrrr Isles,  You are brilliant.  Have been watching this posting as I have a McRobb marrying a McBey.  You certainly are a font of knowledge :)

Regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.