Author Topic: 1841 / 1851 / 1861 ~ GLOUCESTER ~ look up please  (Read 29534 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 / 1851 / 1861 ~ GLOUCESTER ~ look up please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 October 07 05:38 BST (UK) »
A few thoughts.

Hi osprey, I'd seen that marriage page and wondered.  It was/is tempting to think that Ann RICHINGS was a transcription error for John RICHINGS made when the index was initially compiled - but, apart from buying the certificate ::) , there didn't seem to be any way to check it out further.

Hi All, We have been assuming(!) that John/Thomas abandoned his wife and children.  As Valda is always reminding RootsChatters, assumptions can be dangerous.  It's always possible that Sarah Ann evicted him.  Or perhaps there was a good reason why he left (e.g. might Sarah Ann have taken up with someone else)?  OK, very probably John/Thomas did simply abscond but ...

Hi Cazay, I've checked through the WorldConnect trees for the family (don't know why one suggested a double barrelled name - which there isn't; it's just Sarah Ann's maiden surname being used as a middle name for her son).  There seem to be four submitters (I might take the liberty of contacting them and alerting them to the RC threads).  Not surprisingly, some submissions are more complete than others.  Some do go down to living descendants of John RICHINGS & Mary COOK but, unfortunately, none go back beyond that couple.

Hi All, as I have spent time going through all the WorldConnect stuff, I thought it might be useful for my own benefit (so I don't have to go checking back and forth) to list all the children of John & Mary and what happened to them (from census details for the family etc posted earlier, from pointers from the WorldConnect trees, from FreeBMD, from FamilySearch especially the 1881 census, etc).  All events Gloucestershire unless otherwise stated.  And BDMs would need confirmation from certificates.

I will do this in a separate post.

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 October 07 06:06 BST (UK) »
The separate post  :)

All events Gloucestershire unless otherwise stated.

The BDMs would need confirmation from certificates.

John RICHINGS m Mary COOK, 20 Apr 1838, Wotton under Edge, Gloucestershire (LDS submission in IGI)
They had:

1. John RICHINGS, birth June quarter 1839, Dursley
This is the John (sometimes known as Thomas) who ended up in New Zealand refer: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,259529
     John RICHINGS m Sarah Ann BLIZARD, March quarter 1860, Dursley
     John & Sarah Ann have been found in the 1861 census with Sarah Ann's parents.
     Sarah Ann has been found in the 1871 census with her daughter Elizabeth Jane; she states that her husband has been absent for 7 years.
     Sarah Ann (BLIZARD) RICHINGS m William Henry ARMITAGE, June quarter 1875, Dursley (her first husband John was still alive in NZ - she may not have known this); they had children.

John & Sarah Ann had:
  *Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS, September quarter 1861, Thornbury
     Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS has been found in the 1871 census with her mother, Sarah Ann.
     Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS has been found in the 1881 census with her mother and step-father, William ARMITAGE, and their family.
     Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS m Frederick John JOTCHAM, September quarter, 1883
  *John Blizard RICHINGS, birth March quarter 1864, Thornbury
     John Blizard RICHINGS has been found in the 1881 census with his maternal grandfather, John BLIZARD
     John Blizard RICHINGS m Elizabeth Mary PERRETT, December quarter 1885, Dursley

2. Samuel RICHINGS, birth December quarter 1840, Dursley
     Probably the Samuel RICHINGS, marriage December quarter 1860, Bristol; an Elizabeth FOWLER is on the same page.
     Samuel RICHINGS probably the death, age 32, March quarter 1873, Dursley
     Widow Elizabeth probably the Elizabeth RITCHENS (sic), widow, innkeeper in Wotton under Edge in the 1881 census, with her children.

3. William RICHINGS, birth March quarter 1842, Dursley
     Possibly the William RICHINGS, marriage, December quarter 1866, Chipping Sodbury; a Marianne HOPKINS is on the same page.
     In the 1881 census, there is a William RICHINGS, farmer of 110 acres in Wotton under Edge, with wife Marianne, two sons and a niece (Louisa Ann, probably the daughter of his brother Samuel).

4. Elizabeth RICHINGS, birth September quarter 1843, Dursley
     Perhaps/probably the Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS marriage, June quarter 1863, Dursley; a David PERRETT on the same page.  There is also an 1870 marriage for an Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS - two females but only one male on the page (not a PERRETT).
     There is a Harrold PERRETT, 11, b North Nibley, grandson of John RICHINGS & Mary (COOK) in the 1881.  And a birth for Harold PERRETT, June quarter 1870, Dursley (which includes North Nibley)
     I have not found Elizabeth in the 1881.

5. Richard RICHINGS, birth September quarter 1846, Dursley
     Possibly the Richard RICHINGS who married in Bath, Somerset-shire, September quarter 1876; Amelia RICHINGS/Amelia Richings COOK on the same page.
     In the 1881 census in Wotton under Edge, there is a Richard RICHINGS, 36, b Wotton under Edge, Farmer of 12 acres with wife Amelia 24 and son John 3. 

6. Maurice RICHINGS, birth June quarter 1848, Dursley
     Maurice RICHINGS married Fanny BIDDLE, December quarter 1874, Dursley.
     They are in the 1881 - no children with them.  Maurice a Grocer in Wotton under Edge.
     Maurice has been found in A2A - an 1881 bankruptcy record.     

7. Mary Louisa RICHINGS, birth December quarter 1849, Dursley
     Mary Louisa RICHINGS married John JOTCHAM, September quarter 1876.
     They are in the 1881 census in Wotton under Edge - John a House Decorator.
     Mary Louisa probably the Mary Louisa JOTCHAM, death, age 68, June quarter 1917, Bristol

8. Albert RICHINGS, birth March quarter 1855, Dursley
     Albert is in the 1881 census as son, with parents John & Mary (COOK) in Wotton under Edge
     Albert RICHINGS married Blanche Maud TILLEY, March quarter 1889, Dursley

?9. Harry RICHINGS, birth September quarter 1860, Dursley - might be a son of John & Mary
     Is Harry in the 1871 with John & Mary?  Yes, see later post from Cazay.
     A Harry RICHINGS age 20 died December quarter 1880, Dursley.

Regards,

JAP
(e.&o.e. - pls let me know of such)

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 October 07 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all 

Jenn, no worries with census info, post away

Jap, I could see that John Blizard Richings was there with a question mark as the tree owner hadn't gone into the research in depth, mainly relying on census information and of course quite a few gaps there as well. Just wanted to let Lu know that it was there to have a look at on a general scale.

Also, agree that certificates would confirm many things here but costly of course. 

Lu, do you have an LDS centre near to you over there?  Ordering the parish records for Wotton under Edge would contain many of this family's births, deaths and marriages and with so many events happening in Wotton under Edge you could be sure to find most of them.  There is of course Elizabeth Jane Richings birth being Thornbury which would require another film.

I recently spent ten dollars for two films, from which I gained three marriage records and a couple of baptisms/deaths.........a lot cheaper than ordering the certificates.

The IGI is helpful but still needs to be checked against the original records as errors can occur when they are being transcribed (found this for one of my lot).

Posting the 1871 information where John Blizard Richings is living with his grandparents, John and Esther.........

Long Street Wotton under Edge Gloucestershire
John Blizard 56 Wotton under Edge Butcher
Esther 57 Alderley Gloucestershire
John Blizard unm 25 Wotton under Edge Butchers son
John Richings g/son 7 Thornbury Scholar
Emily Vines 16 Combe, Wotton under Edge Domestic Servant
RG10/2591 f20 p1 & 2

Confirming Harry, child 9, Jap's posting.........
1871 Long Street Wotton under Edge Gloucestershire
John Richings 53 Wotton under Edge Butcher
Mary 49                    "
Richard unm 23        "         Butcher
Mary Louisa unm 21  "
Albert 11                   "            "
Harry 10                   "
Mary Ann Bye 17      "           Domestic Servant
RG10/2591 f22 p5

Cazay  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 October 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Cazay     :)     Re:  Your post # 14

Very many thanks for the link to worldconnect - wow !

I just can't believe how much information is "out there".

Yes, late nights indeed ....  but so many very special and talented people contributing .... I couldn't possibly nip off to bed, knowing they were beavering away !

Obviously, at the speed the info is being posted, I'm struggling just a little to absorb it all ... but I certainly 'aint complaining!      And, what a wacky family I've inherited !  Even my maternal grandmother was unknown to me  (... and to her own 2 small daughters as well - she waltzed off into the sunset one day, and that was that).   Hmmm  ... now having discovered HER  Richings mob ... perhaps "grandmother" did the right thing ?

Thanks too for your kind offer re: further census look-ups.
Your help is so much aprreciated.

Kind regards

Lu    :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 October 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
Lu, do you have an LDS centre near to you over there?  Ordering the parish records for Wotton under Edge would contain many of this family's births, deaths and marriages and with so many events happening in Wotton under Edge you could be sure to find most of them.  There is of course Elizabeth Jane Richings birth being Thornbury which would require another film.

I recently spent ten dollars for two films, from which I gained three marriage records and a couple of baptisms/deaths.........a lot cheaper than ordering the certificate

I have a feeling that I might already have posted this ...

Wotton under Edge films of parish records seem to finish ca 1812 (from the Hugh Wallis site and the LDS Family History Library catalogue).  Which would mean that the films wouldn't help ...

Obviously later registers do exist for Wotton under Edge - as shown by the submitted LDS record for the April 1838 marriage of John RICHINGS & Mary COOK - but apparently they haven't been filmed by the LDS?

Cheers,

JAP

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 October 07 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi   JAP

..... sorry I didn't manage to respond earlier to this ('tis 2.15 am ... was just heading to bed ... just had to have another peek at incoming messages)!

Thanks, I had looked at Hugh Wallis site but just hadn't quite got around to LDS catalogue.
(Have currently got an order in with LDS for Kent parish registers, another search .... have been waiting over 4 weeks for it  ...grrr !   But hey, I've sure got plenty to keep me busy meanwhile .... haven't I) ?

Cheers    Lu     :)

Offline Keziahemm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 October 07 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lu and everyone  :)

What a fascinating thread!  Have a couple of marriages from the index to throw into the pot

Thomas Richings + Mary Cousins 30th December 1822 Wotton under Edge

William Ritchings + Elizabeth Blunstone 13th December 1824 Wotton under Edge

Regards

Susan
Herefordshire: Mytton.
Lincs: Ingham
Northants: Knight (Welford); Linnell;  Gaudern.
Staffs (Brierley Hill, Kingswinford): Wood; Eades.
Somerset: Bailey; Lewis
Warwickshire: (Alcester, Henley in Arden) Lewis; Casey/Keasey
Warwickshire (Birmingham suburbs) Knight
Yorkshire (Bradford):  Ingham

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 October 07 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan    :)

Yes, fascinating indeed!   

But of course the result wouldn't  have been achieved without the wonderful input of so many brilliant people  ...  I'm truly "blown away" by the ongoing interest and support!

Very many thanks for your contribution - (I spy "another" Thomas - he looks interesting) ?

Kind regards

Lu      :)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 October 07 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hello  there  Lucy

more census information  for  you

1891 Census  
RG12/2029

Living at 47  Lower Lodge  Ozleworth, Gloucestershire England

John Richings         27 head  Butcher  born  Thornbury, Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Richings 26  wife                         Nibley "
Harry Richings         4  son                            Wotton under Edge
Mabel Richings        2  dau                            Newark, Glouc
Harold Richings      8mths son                       Newark  "
Frederick Blackwell 13 servant                       Horton  "
Laura Walker          13 servant domestic        Worton "

Comment  yes  no  error   Harry  and Harold!

1901 Census
RG12/2414

living at 52 Long Street Wotton under Edge, Gloucestershire, England

John richings 37 head Butcher Employer born Thornbury Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Richings 36 wife                                Nibley, Gloucestershire
Harry       "             14 son                                      Wotton under Edge "
Mabel                     12 dau                                       Newark
Harold                     10 son                                       newark
John                        8   son                                            Wotton under edge
Marjory                   6 dau                                                     "
Mary                       4                                                             "
Horace                    1                                                             '
Norah                      7 months                                                "
Alice Berks               13 servant domestic                            hawksebury

I  also  noted  that  living next to door to this family  at no 53  was a  Fanna Blizard widow aged 51 born WUe  and her daughter Agnes aged 12 born WUE

Kind Regrds Jenn
ps  don't  you  just love the  names Nibley Ozelworth etc
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au