Author Topic: 1841 / 1851 / 1861 ~ GLOUCESTER ~ look up please  (Read 29741 times)

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 / 1851 / 1861 ~ GLOUCESTER ~ look up please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 October 07 07:32 BST (UK) »
1861 Long Street Wotton under Edge Gloucestershire
RG9/1750 f23 p7

John Blizzard 46 Wotton under Edge Butcher (Master employing 1 man)
Esther 47                  "
Jane 19                     "
John 16                     "                Assistant Butcher
Esther 11                  "                   Scholar
Emily Evans 14   Tresham Gloucestershire House servant
John Richings Visitor 21  Wotton under Edge Butcher
Sarah A Richings 18 Visitor        "                       Butchers wife

1871, Orchard Street Wotton under Edge Gloucestershire
RG10/2591 f21 p3

Sarah Ann Richings 28 (husband left 7 years) Wotton under Edge School Mistress
Elizabeth Jane 9 dau Thornbury Gloucestershire Scholar
Harriet Howell 14 Winterbourne Gloucestershire Domestic servant

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 October 07 08:29 BST (UK) »

Snip

On IGI, have just found this marriage - John RICHINGS - Mary COOK - 20 April 1838 - Wotton Under Edge, Gloucester - possibly the 1841 people ?

Snip

Lu       :)

Lu,

Having to sort the wheat from the chaff in the complete IGI you will find it easier to search by place then names and only be presented with data extracted from church records by using
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle  but bear in mind that some extracted data has been deleted from the batches given.

You might also find Parloc - free parish locator programme - useful too.  Get it via
http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/parlocdl.html

Regards

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 October 07 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Cazay     :)

WOW    !      Thank you so very much.

At first I was a little sceptical .... the names didn't make a lot of sense.     Then, the "agricultural school"  sounded a real possibility.     But you were SO CLEVER to have found the poor deserted wife and child  ...  and yes, it makes an awful lot of sense !

I feel pretty sure this is the John RICHINGS I'm after.   "His" death cert. shows "NO marriages" ~ probably not unusual ?     The wife and child left behind in Gloucester, probably accounts for him not "marrying" the mother of his New Zealand-born children and  might also explain why the childrens' births were not registered.   

A brilliant effort Cazay  ...   and thanks again.

Kind regards

Lu    :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 October 07 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chas

Many thanks for those links ... I'll certainly try them.

Kind regards

Lu       :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 October 07 02:20 BST (UK) »
I've been following Lu's original thread on this family at:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,259529

This development is absolutely fascinating  :)

Cazay, Brilliant work!

Lots of the people/events mentioned can be traced on FreeBMD.
Wotton under Edge, incidentally, is in the Dursley registration district.
The birthplace of 'Bristol' as given on John's death cert is not a problem - it was very common for birthplaces in the Antipodes to be rendered as the nearest big town which the Registrar had heard of!

John RICHINGS m Sarah Ann BLIZARD, Dursley, Mar q 1860
Elizabeth Jane RICHINGS, birth, Thornbury, Sep q 1861
?Also a John Blizard RICHINGS, birth, Thornbury, Mar q 1864

Sarah Ann re-married, Dursley, Jun q 1875 to William Henry ARMITAGE (she is listed as Sarah Ann BLIZARD and as Sarah Ann RICHINGS) and had several children.
(Presumably first husband John had effectively been declared dead once he'd been gone for over 7 years.)
The ARMITAGE family is in the 1881 census (on FamilySearch) in Wotton under Edge.  William was the Manager of an Elastic Works; stepdaughter Elizabeth Jane was working as his Assistant.  Children of William & Sarah at that stage were Edith A 5, Amy E 3, and Florence R 1.

Lu, It was fortunate that you found that LDS submission re the marriage of John RICHINGS & Mary COOK.  I can't find it on FreeBMD - perhaps because it was early days for statutory registration and people hadn't really become used to registration.
However, appropriate births in Dursley for children of John snr & Mary (as mentioned in the censuses) can all be found on FreeBMD.
Extracted records in the online IGI for Wotton under Edge finish early unfortunately (as can be seen from the Hugh Wallis site).  And those records seem to reflect all the Wotton-under-Edge filmed records held by the LDS (from the Library catalogue on FamilySearch).
The LDS submission looks reliable with its precise date - and precise dates are provided throughout that LDS batch.

Incidentally, a brother of your John (from the 1851 census) was Morris RICHINGS - on FreeBMD as Mau___ ).  A search for RICHINGS in Gloucestershire on A2A at:
http://www.a2a.org.uk/
finds (Ref D4890/4/17, date 1881):
Sale notice, stock-in-trade, furniture and effects of Maurice Richings, Wotton-under-Edge, nurseryman and grocer, bankrupt
 :(

Cheers,

JAP

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 October 07 14:51 BST (UK) »
Lu

More information here on your Richings family
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/

John Richings daughter's married name was Jotcham and there is also mention of John Blizard Richings (DOUBLE BARRELL SURNAME)

If you would like any other census details just ask  :)

I read the whole 5 pages on the Australia board...... :o  A lot to take in at first but you have made great progress and now have a new family line to pursue in England.

You must be having a lot of late nights lately  ;D

At least John was honest enough to keep his original surname and now you know why he was sometimes Thomas and sometimes John............trying to cover his tracks after running off and leaving his wife and child/children.

I hope, after all this that you find his arrival details...........you certainly deserve it, after all the runaround.

Cazay

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 October 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Cazay,

In my last post, I put a question mark against the Thornbury birth from FreeBMD of John Blizard RICHINGS, Mar quarter 1864.  He seemed very likely to be a child of John/Thomas & Sarah Ann but didn't appear in the 1871 or 1881 census with Sarah Ann so I wondered whether he might have died young though I couldn't see a relevant death ...   However he appears in the 1881 on FamilySearch; John Blizard RICHINGS, age 17, a Butcher b Thornbury, in Wotton under Edge with his maternal Grandfather, John BLIZARD (yet another Butcher).

Mary Louisa (birth December quarter 1849), a sister of John/Thomas, is in the 1881 as Mary Louisa JOTCHAM with her husband John and child.

From FreeBMD, marriages of the children of John/Thomas & Sarah Ann seem to be:
*RICHINGS Elizabeth Jane, Dursley, Sept quarter, 1883; there's a Frederick John JOTCHAM on the same page.
*RICHINGS John Blizard, Dursley, Dec quarter, 1885; there's an Elizabeth Jane PERRETT on the same page.

JAP

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 October 07 19:41 BST (UK) »
Just a thought on John's parents marriage registration. There's a slightly odd page of marriage entries for Dursley in june qtr 1838 vol 11 pg 329. There is a Mary Cook on the page and there is an Ann Richings. But, there are 5 female and 3 male names on the page. The transcription is from a type-written page, so possibly an error made when the original hand-written GRO index page was typed up?
 :-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 October 07 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello  there Lucy

I  had a  look at  this thread  last  night  and copied  down  a  few  details and  then looked up them  this  morning  and  when went  to  post  to see that Cazay  had allready  found  the marriage etc  but  as  I  had  printed  down  the census  details  I  thought  I  would add them  in.   I was pleased  to see that Cazay  had also  come  up  with the same  marriage  details  I  would say  like  me  she  had trailed through a  few then  a  look at  the census trying to  match up  by  the birthplace etc.  I know  that Cazay  will  not be annoyed  at  my  posting  the census  information ;D

on  the 1891  Census
at 83 Brick Lane, wotton Under Edge, Gloucestershire.
RG12 Folio 32 page 11

Fred Jatcham  32 Painter born Wotton under Edge
Elizabeth "      30 Wife     born Thornbury, Gloucestshire
Fred                 7  son       born Wotton unde Edge
William             5 1/2        born  """"""""""
Herbert            2              born """"""""""""""""""

A look  at  the actual  page the name is  JOTCHAM 

on  the 1901 census  he (Fred) is  a  House Painter.

With regard  to  John Blizzard Richings  he  is on  the census's  up to 1901  a  prolific breeding couple  8  children  up  to  then  :o

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au