Author Topic: Birth Lookup Please  (Read 2285 times)

Offline chrissieing

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Birth Lookup Please
« on: Friday 24 December 04 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Can any of you good people on here come up trumps for me yet again?  I am looking for the birth of Thomas Payne. On the 1891 census it says he was 30yrs old (I believe this age to be correct) and born Chippenham and on 1901 it states he was 45yrs old and born Cricklade.  His marriage cert  in 1882 states his age as being 21yrs old.  The only Thomas I can find is Thomas Herbert Payne BAPTISED in 1861 but was 4yrs old at time of baptism.  This Thomas was born to Stephen & Sophia.  His fathers name on marriage cert. is Stephen.  Be glad of ANY help. Thanking-you. 

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BIRTH LOOKUP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 04 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have had a look at the 1901/1891/1881/1871 census for Thomas PAYNE born Wiltshire around about the time your Thomas PAYNE was born and have come to the conclusion that there was only the one.

1901 birthplace Cricklade is probably a mistake - 1891 says Sarah born Cricklade so I would think that this is where the mistake has crept in.

In 1881 he was a boarder in Swindon, factory hand age 23 b.Chippenham.

The age 21 on a marriage certificate does sometimes just imply that the person has reached the age of 21 years.  Or, perhaps he didn't want to show as being much older than his wife or maybe he wasn't even sure?

It looks like you have the right family and have nothing to worry about!

It would be good if you could come up with a record for your Thomas Payne using the middle name of Herbert.  Death perhaps?  Births/baptisms of children?

London Road, Chippenham

Stephen PAYNE44 ag lab H?eyterberry? Wilts
Sophia 40 b.Derryfield Wilts
Henry 37/27/17??? son ag lab b.Chippenham
Emma 15 factory hand
Thomas 14
Albert 13
Clara 9
Eliza 4

All children born Chippenham

RG10/1898 folio 109 page 33

Casalguidi