Author Topic: 1841 lookup please/East Grinstead  (Read 6116 times)

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1841 lookup please/East Grinstead
« on: Saturday 20 October 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Looking for a William Simpson and a Elizabeth Chapman within the East Grinstead area. They were both shown as father & mother on a birth certificate for George Henry Chapman b East Grinstead 1845. No maiden name was given for Elizabeth Chapman so it's possible she was not married at time of birth, therefore George Henry was not given his fathers name. By 1851 George Henry was in the work house.

Regards
David
Ibbotson, de Woolfson, Haynes, Chapman, Shoveler

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 lookup please/East Grinstead
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 07 16:44 BST (UK) »
cant see a likely Simpson in that area of Sussex, but theres 2 or 3 Elizabeth Chapmans - any clues as to age ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zowster

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
The most likely Elizabeth chapman for you is born in 1824 in East Grinstead, father Henry age 50, Mother sarah age 54, sister Sarah age 20, brother John age 15, brother charles age 13 and sister Eliza age 9. i don't think the other would fit for you. Definitley can't find william in that area and there is no record of a marrisge at all.

sharon

jackson warwickshire, tribe surrey, hall warwickshire, blackburn lancashire, cooper staffordshire, forsythe warwickshire, sutch lancashire

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
East Grinstead Regn District - as seen on a Birth Cert - covers a wider area than the place itself, hence there are candidate Chapmans around the area ......

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 07 17:49 BST (UK) »
Newf is quite right.  I had problems finding an East Grinstead family, don't forget it crosses the border into Surrey!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
Newf is quite right. I had problems finding an East Grinstead family, don't forget it crosses the border into Surrey!

Kerry

And we discussed those issues here!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,251760.0.html
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 October 07 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Thank you for your help. I can confirm relating to the postings that the workhouse that George Henry & his brother William was Lingfield Workhouse. Was there any married Elizabeth Chapman's within the area that may have fitted. The reason for this is that George Henry's marriage certificate of 1870 gave his father as George Henry Chapman (senior) Lieutenant 90th Infantry. So it is possible she was already married to GHC senior.

Regards
David

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 October 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello David,

Do you know that George and William are brothers? I can find George on the IGI, but although I think I have found William on Free BMD (Dec 1842 East Grinstead 7 305), I can't find him on the IGI. This could mean that he was baptised at Lingfield, rather than East Grinstead.

If the Elizabeth that Sharon found is George's mother, then in 1851 she is probably the one in East Grintead Workhouse, still unmarried and with Charles E Chapman, 8 months. (HO107-1641, Folio 232, page 51).

Her baptism, from the East Grinstead PRs: 23rd Nov 1823, d/o Henry and Mary Chapman, abode East Grinstead, father's occ. Labourer.

From the SMI, her parents possible marriage:
Heathfield, 15 Jan 1810
Henry Chapman (East Grinstead)
Mary Bottooth (this could be a mis-transcription of Bott Tooth, I suppose)
By Banns

The 90th Infantry is the 90th Light Infantry (Perthshire Volunteers). They appear to have been posted abroad 1835-46, but no doubt retained some presence at home.

The best contender I can find for William Simpson in 1841, is a Railway labourer, age 25, living in a hut in Crowhurst Lane, Godstone. This is not far away and East Grinstead would be the nearest town. Godstone station opened in 1842, so probably moved on. Simpson is not a local name.
HO 107/1077/9. Enumeration Distict 13. Folio 7. Page 8.

Regards,
Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ibbotson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 October 07 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil

Yes I assumed George & William were brothers. The Elizabeth in the workhouse looks extremely promising...Was it the same Lingfield workhouse as George & William's?.

I will apply for Williams birth certificate with cross reference for Elizabeth Chapman as mother.

Many thanks for the help.

Regards
David