Author Topic: Search of Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow  (Read 60687 times)

Offline GallowayLass

• -
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search of Sighthill Cemetery, Glasgow
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Reinstated by Moderator

Quote from: daval57 on Saturday 20 October 07 20:23 BST (UK)
Hi all.
Recently discovered my great grandmother is buried here so in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting, I am going to take a look for her grave.
If anyone else has ancestors that they know are buried there, give me the details and I'll have a look and take photos and MI.

Depending on the response I get, I MIGHT open my search for people that are only possibly buried there.

PLEASE DON'T WASTE TIME POSTING GUESSES FOR THE TIME BEING.  I will not respond.

Dave   

Hi Dave,

If it dries up anytime soon, any chance you could do my McLeods?

Offline Glamis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave, you did such a fantastic job with my GWD and Eliza his wife. I can't remember if that 'dusty old ledger' gave any light on the 'Ramsays/Ramseys' though. If you are ever able to look at it again or can recall, they remain a mystery. (Incidentally, Sarah Thomson who married GSWD has turned up in Melbourne General Cemetery, Aus alone- died 14/04/1897)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Rena,  there is a post on "scotfamtree" at present which features the Crumm's of Thornliebank, it's under Tanhill, worth a wee look.....Skoosh.

thanks Skoosh
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Rena, I took a trip to the Ramshorn but failed to find the stone for Crum yet its in there somewhere, the cemetery has been considerably tarted up, the Council have planted ivy etc' which is covering some of the stones. Why don't you post here for Crum/The Ramshorn and see if somebody comes up with the transcription......Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 17:22 GMT (UK) »
thanks for trying skoosh.  I do hope they haven't planted ivy that digs feelers into the stone!!!
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 05 December 09 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Rena,  try this site,  http://www.memento-mori.co.uk   there are some Crums in the Necropolis which is where the better-off moved to when the Ramshorn was full......Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 05 December 09 14:38 GMT (UK) »
aw skoosh that's really nice of you to follow up.  I'm pleased to say that I've already got the information and photographs from the www.memento-mori.co.uk website.

I hope your kind act is returned to you many times - what goes around comes around eh?

Merry Christmas and a fruitful New Year  :)

Rena

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 02 March 17 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Readers
I have just picked up info on my 2x Grt Grandparents..
David Morland & Elizabeth Morland Nee Kinnon

Elizabeth Morland her interment of Sighthill Cemetery as follows:

Date: 14 April 1927
Name of deceased: Elizabeth Morland
Designation: Mother of James Morland
Address of deceased: 129 Hospital Street
Number: 4
Class: H
Years: 74
Date of death: 11 [April]
Date of funeral: Thursday 14 April
Hour: 3.15
Number of scrip: D966
Number of lair: 51
Class number: 7.

Confirm that it was purchased on 21 June 1886 by David Morland, Engineer of 18 Naburn Street. I can confirm that the following interments are listed:

Date                                      Description

15 Jul 1916                           1 adult [Alexander Buchanan, brother of Arthur Buchanan, 129 Hospital Street]
18 Oct 1918                         1 adult [William S. Dunlop, husband of Maggie Dunlop, 288 Cumberland Street]
14 April 1927                       1 adult [Elizabeth Morland]
24 April 1928                       1 adult [David Morland].

Is there a map for this Cemetery that can help?
Does anyone have access to further information and images of this Cemetery?

I am based in NZ and plan on being in Scotland in June this year.. It would be wonderful if anyone can offer some guidance as to the layout of the Cemetery in advance to arriving.. I plan on heading to this sacred ground

Many thanks for any further information

Regards
Scott Morland
NZ

Offline Vicky1974

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 05 August 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new on here been to sighthill cemetery Glasgow today looking for my family a Mr John  crum. But sadly  didn't  come across it all I found out it was in section 8 shame glass was so over grown