Author Topic: Lookup Request for COWAN family arriving in Sth Aust 1855?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline twinkleberry

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request for COWAN family arriving in Sth Aust 1855?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 October 07 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm in Adelaide South Australia and for 14-15 years I have been offering free research to people all over the world who had families/ancestors who came to Australia.

I saw the request on the Rootschat site re the Cowan family and I did some hunting around for information.

The follwing is what I did manage to find:-

JOHN COWAN

Born c1811 in Middlesex England and arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the 'STANDARD'.

John's Occupation is recorded as a Labourer and his religion was recorded Church of England.

GEORGE COWAN

George Cowan married 14th November 1879 in Adelaide South Australia to Sarah Pool

JOHN BIBBY COWAN

Born 24th August 1811 in Sutton, Coldfield Warwickshire  England

MARRIAGE

John Bibby Cowan married  22nd October 1839 in Holborn England to Priscilla Jane Barber, daughter of Henry Barber and Priscilla?

PRISCILLA JANE BARBER

Married John Bibby Cowan and came to South Australia 8th April 1856 aboard the "Amazon"

JOHN BIBBY COWAN

Was a Comission Agent in 1863, and he witnessed the marriage of William Cliff and Hannah Priscilla Cowan on 28th January at Church of St. Mary Church,  Hotham Victoria Australia

CHILDREN BORN TO JOHN BIBBY COUSIN & PRISCILLA JANE BARBER

1. Charles died 1854-1872

Hannah Priscilla born 28th September 1844 and died 12th November 1914

3. George John born 2nd January 1848

4. Louisa Maria born 29th March 1850

5. Albany Charles born 29th February 1862 and died 1852-1872

HENRY BARBER

Born pre 1808 and married Priscilla???

CHILDREN BORN TO HENRY BARBER & PRISCILLA JANE BARBER

1. Henry born 26th June 1808

2. James born 10th Septemeber 1810

3. Richard born 19th August 1812

4. Priscilla Jane born 1814 - died 25th July 1870

5. Thomas born 12th August 1816

6. Maria born 26th July 1818

DEATH CERTIFICATE

John Bibby Cowan died 11th April 1872 in Office of the Government Statist of Victoria

John Bibby resided in 1872 in Sansdowne Place, Melbourne Victoria

John Bibby died 11th April 1872 in Sansdowne Place, Melbourne victoria at the age of 60 years.

CAUSE OF DEATH

Fatty Degeneration of the heart

He was buried 12th April 1872 in the General Cemetery Melbourne Victoria.

MARRIAGE

John Bibby married Priscilla Jane Barker 22nd October 1839 at Holborn Middlesex England and Martha Maddox was a witness to the marriage.

The above is all the information I have found.

Regards

Heather
in a hot evening
in Adelaide

Heather Hobbis 1949-2012

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 October 07 01:28 BST (UK) »
Again, thank you to all of you for the wealth of information you have supplied me in such a short time.  :)

Thank you Heather for taking the time to delve into the origins of the COWAN family in the UK. It has been very much appreciated and a huge learing curve for me, whicg is good as I am just starting out on my family history. Are you able to give me some idea of the sources you utilised to obtain the information you received. I would hate to think I am missing a lot of basic sites I could check in instead of troubling you all for items I should be able to locate myself? Unfortunately most of my searching has to be done over the internet as I don't have ready access to the various family research centres.

All the best
regards Sturdy

STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Marg J

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 November 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone.

Hopefully this thread can be re-visited? I am a descendant of George John Cowan - John Bibby's son. I have found a bit more out on John and Priscilla if you are interested? Gone back a couple of generations. Still digging.....slowly. I do have some personal notes that George John wrote down. I have them scanned. They give info on Albany etc. Happy to share.  :)

Cheers
Marg