Author Topic: HUTCHINGS/BIRD families - Frome  (Read 7987 times)

Offline borderboy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUTCHINGS/BIRD families - Frome
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 June 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
MARRIAGE;
26 March 1894, Holy Trinity, Frome, Somerset
George HUTCHINGS, 25, Bachelor, occp Collier,
abode Abertilley Aberystwith, Father GEORGE Hutchings, occp Shoemaker
Florence Amelia BURGESS, 22, Spinster, abode Bell Lane, Father HARRY Burgess, occp Shoemaker
Witnesses, Harry Edwin Burgess, F Uren, Elizabeth Targett

(Source FreeREG)

Late here, goodnight :)

Just found George in 1891 Census in Treharris with the Targett Family, down as Brother in Law (so Elizabeth Targett on 1891 Census was a Witness to his 1894 Marriage!)

Hi Trish,

Thanks so much for all you sent.  :) What a tangled web the Hutchings and Bird families weave. I believe, anecdotally,  that Winifred Bird and William Hutchings were cousins! The point I have difficulty with is establishing when the Hutchings family arrived in Treharris and where from.

On another point, I understand that you are near Sidney. Are you a Hutchings family relation, distant or otherwise? In 1945-6 my father, Raymond George Hutchings, was based near Sydney in a spell of serving in the Navy after the war. (He served on battleship HMS Anson from 1942). He was living with I believe his cousin and family on possibly a farm north of Sydney. Also I believe he was engaged to his cousin but it broke off and he returned to Wales.

Thanks again and any other other information will be most welcome

regards, Jon

Offline thebullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 August 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
The Hutchings family were from Somerset area.  Elizabeth Targett nee Hutchings was born Higher Odcombe from 1871 census 12 years old. Her father George I think was baptised 1832 All Saints, Kingstone with parents a George and Elizabeth. Incidentally I think he was with a Henry and Ann Bird in 1851 Census as an apprentice cordwainer at Higher Odcombe.
Elizabeth Targett was a great grandmother to my husband.  The Targetts also lived in Wales - Treharris area.  Trust this helps.

Offline Tumnus_89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 October 14 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hey All,

I'm looking into where the Hutchings family come from.
my sources are dated back to George Hutchings (born around 1832)

My grandfather, Raymond George Hutchings, born and lived in Abertillery, Monmouthshire, from 1903 - 1995, occupation - Minor.
His Father was George Hutchings, born 1870s. George owned a shoemaking buisness with someone (Possibly the Bird family) from Frome, Somerset.
His Father, George Hutchings, was born in 1832 (as far as i know), and his occupation was also shoemaker. the last I heard of him was that his Mother's name was Hannah.

This is where my journey ends. Could anyone give me more insight? :)

thanks

Offline Tumnus_89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 October 14 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

the site will not allow me to reply to any PMs (even though I'm fully registered).
I'm hoping to get us much info as I can about the Hutchings ancestry and where we came from.

if anyone has info they'd like to share, that would be great :)

thanks

Offline thebullenfamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 November 14 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Family information is scarce on the Hutchings side but have photo showing the Elizabeth Targett nee Hutchings with her mother and Elizabeth's son John Targett and his daughter Irene. 
The Hannah Hutchings looks to have arthritis in her hands and no date on photo.
thebullenfamily@gmail.com email address if you would like further information.