Author Topic: James Tuxworth bc 1834  (Read 21523 times)

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Tuxworth bc 1834
« on: Tuesday 23 October 07 15:12 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any idea how I can find details on JAMES TUXWORTH, born according to 1861-1901
census at Louth or Legbourne. I cannot find him in 1841, or 51, and in 1861 his wife and children in Grimsby are alone, he a sailor. He married in Hull, 1853, underage, and gave no fathers details, address or meaningful occupation-cant even identify  the witnesses!! HELP!
WRY- Thompson,Cowburn,Walker, Glossop,
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Lincs/ Notts- Graves, White, Wilson,Pedge,Tuxford, Bonner
Devon- Dean, Crode (also NFL) Coode, Tucker, Miles ( origin Hampshire)
Beds/Herts/ Northants- Newberry, Shepherd, Norton, Blackabey
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
  • Jacky Clark (nee Jacqueline Allen)
    • View Profile
Re: James Tuxworth bc 1834
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
I had a problem like this with my grandfather who I could not find in any Census until he was married.

I eventually found him in earlier census and he was using the name of his mothers husband - so my suggestion is that you look for Tuxworth marriages around this time and then look for them to see if they are harbouring a James

There is a marriage of a Mary Tuxworth to a Charles Widower Johnson in Legbourne 24 May 1836 (bizarrely my elusive grandfather was a Charles Johnson!)

At Louth the nearest marriages are

TUXWORTH WILLIAM   BROCKLEBANK JANE   18320521   LOUTH ST JAMES
TUXWORTH LYDIA   EARL WILLIAM   18320614   LOUTH ST JAMES
TUXWORTH MARY ANN   BRAMFITT THOMAS   18360411   LOUTH ST JAMES

My Maternal line are all from Lincolnshire - First Generations include:
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 20:27 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of a Mary Tuxworth to a Charles Widower Johnson in Legbourne 24 May 1836

Nice one!

That seems to work for 1841 (in Louth) but James is not with the rest of them in 1851 :(
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you. How stupid of me not to think of that. James Johnson looks very promising from the 1841 census- my Tuxworth called one son Charles, and another David--I shall work on this,was your marriage from the parish registers? I had not come across this Mary Tuxworth.  Thank-you again.
Sally
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 16:24 BST (UK) »
Sounds promising -

The marriage was from the Lincolnshire Family History Society Marriage Index - what would we do without these wonderful people?

Regards

Jacky

And of course James may not have known of his surname until it was time for the official documentation of his marriage - I have come across a lot of examples of this. In 1851 he may have been at sea at the time of the Census.

Jacky
Arliss, Armstrong, Baker, Borman, Cartwright, Clark, Dixon, Duckering, Everington, Forman, Freshney, Gadsby, Graves, Hatcliffe, Holmes, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Lacey, Leverton, Lilley, Morton, Oades, Pacey, Priestley, Rickett, Riggall, Rowson, Shaw, Sleaford, Sleight, Smith, Spikin, Taylor, Thacker, Ticklepenny, Tomkins, Tyler, Walton, Ward, Willson, Wood and Wortley.

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Jacky, Thats great.
Of course you are right about the surname--but I am pretty sure he wasnt at sea in 1851--I think he and wife Julia met at Louth, married Hull but gives occ as "labourer", also "labourer" and "oil cake maker" (much same thing!) on birth certs of first children. Being a sailor and absent 1861 is only reference to sea I have.-still you may be right!!
Thanks, Sally
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 18:40 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of Lincolnshire Graves in my database - mainly from the Billinghay area

http://www.linclinks.co.uk

Regards

Jacky

Offline alunno-a

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Jacky,
Thank-you for the link to your amazing data base-  am bowled away!!
 Just had a quick look- and I know I am off topic here, but, re Graves/Pedge--I have Easter, Welbeck etc children of Mary Pedge and Robert Graves as all born Skellingthorpe, rather than Swinderby, -am I wrong?? I have direct ancester Job Graves, in record as Greaves, also as being their son. But am worried by Greaves, and IGI reference to his father as Robin  not Robert. I know that was a normal diminutive, but looks like only use of it here. Would love some help!!- my Job was father of Julia who married James Tuxworth, just to get back on message!
Sally
London- Chesney/Chesnut
all areas- Tuxworth
Kent- Munn, Moore

Offline linclinks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 22:10 BST (UK) »
I shouldnt worry about the Robin, I am sure it is the same family. He married as Job Graves in the Marriage Index to Mary White 12 Feb 1824 at Thurlby. A baby of three weeks old was buried at Thurlby by Lincoln 11 Jul 1853. Job Senior was buried 10 Feb 1846 as Job Graves - age is a bit out as it says he was 43

I must have had a senior moment when I entered his siblings as born in Swinderby  - I will correct at next update.

Given that one of Job' children is called Henrietta Pedge Graves, I think you can be confident in your conclusions

Best regards

Jacky