Author Topic: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge  (Read 87311 times)

Offline Debbie Marney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge
« Reply #36 on: Monday 30 May 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Wow so good to hear from you. Fascinating stuff. I bet we all must have seen eachother at some point in New Close when we were younger! x

Offline loggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 25 June 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
 ;D

Offline Christine Bonner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 25 June 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Berri, My husbands Aunt was Rachel Holmes and she married  Samuel Smith.
They had a daughter * and a second daughter **.

Unfortunately Rachel died soon after the birth of her second daughter.

* married * and they live in the Nottingham area.

Hope this is of help to you.

Regards

Chris

* details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline cosworth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 03 September 11 02:27 BST (UK) »
hi there berri my granmothers family are the smiths from mitcham?her mother and fathers names were samuel and rachel.they lived in gladstone road.also my mums aunt genty?were also first cousins to the penfolds from new close? i myself played with a young billy ayres and the deacon family.also anyone remmember black dot sarah or georgey licker? they were my mums aunt and uncle.sarah used to wear all
black lace,real old gypsie woman,

Offline djames1838

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 11 September 11 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi All

My nan, Lily James, used to live at 42 New Close I think since it was built...before that her family used to live in either Bath Road or Queens Road until the factory explosion. As a kid in the late 70s, I remember going to the sweet shop in the shed and to Stophers the butchers. There were several James families in New Close...I don't think ours were travellers. Would be interested to hear more stories from the close.

Darren

Offline prawnie14

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie I was researching my step dads name and came across this site.  I used to live on Phipps bridge and my mum married your uncle Joe.  I can't remember meeting your dad but I think I probably did at one of the funerals.  I knew your grandparents, we used to visit them quite often, they were so lovely! I used to visit your grandad after your nan died, and I think a nephew lived there with him.  He was so proud of the birds in the garden (owls if I remember rightly).
I used to go to the green shed to buy sweets, and remember the rows of jars full of sherbet and the humbugs that seemed to be enormous!

Offline terrapin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 17 November 11 21:05 GMT (UK) »
can anyone help with information on henry james married elizabeth (verty)doe lived mitcham 1890  1930.daughters ada and violetta son henry

Offline dan.marney

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 December 11 14:08 GMT (UK) »
hi debbie marney  :)  my granny was violet also, its nice to see all these people that come from rocky ....  !!!! everyone misses joe grey and bacon pudding but she also done beef brisket lovely too ...... she used to call me mum girl never by name  ;D

Offline Rockygirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 06 February 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi All - I'm a new person come into the mix.  I was born in New Close which at the time was my ggrandmother and ggrandfather's house.  This house was also where my father was born (he was the first child to be born in New Close - same bedroom as me).  My Mum and Dad still live in New Close along with one of my sisters and I moved out when I got married (although I go to visit more or less on a weekly basis).  It has been fantastic reading all the comments re: Red Skin Village as all the names mentioned I remember quite well, the Brookers, the Ayres, the Jameses, the Marney's (Cousins) and also my family name the Dighton's along with most of the others.  I also remember on the way to school stopping to have a chat with Nelson which always made me late.  (Message for Loggie - are you son number 1 or 2 of Barry's).  I also went to school with your Mum.  Will be on again soon - take care everyone  :D