Author Topic: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge  (Read 87405 times)

Offline chellin2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 25 March 12 15:45 BST (UK) »
Oh that must have been it, thanks Loggie
Lyon
Smith
Lane
Dixon
Lamner
Crawt
Gardner
Horton
Wood
Botteriel

Offline broncolane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 21 April 12 18:55 BST (UK) »
hi my name is steve lane,im tracing my family who came from mitcham,there names were wilkes and boxhall who lived in fountain road,alsogreat grandmother susan mills who died in wimbledon,any info would be great many thanks steve

Offline GUM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 10 May 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thanks for your reply about redskin village. I'm glad someone's replied because I've been trying to find out more for ages but keep drawing a blank. I'm kind of piecing together what little bits of information I can collect with the aim of wiritng a book (or at least an article) about the area for the local library, I've read a lot about the local history but there's a really interesting stiry about redskin village and all the travelling folk of mitcham that never gets told.
I'd love to talk to someone who really knows the area and anyone else you think might be interested in taking part.  I'll hope to hear from you again.
Best wishes
Dave

Hallo
Ive just joined and I must say that my wife was born in Redskin villiage or Rocky as we knew it then Bath Road she was born in and then moved to New Close do you need any info

Offline GUM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 10 May 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Just joined today there is a lot of names that my wife and I know on these mails.We two grew up in Mitch am both born there my wife was born in Barth r/d rockie or as my dad use to call it Rock Terrace weather that was the correct name I do not know but both our families came from there My wife is a Smith from New Close anybody out there who knows her her dad was Sam and her mother Alice
Alan

Offline Ellyllon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
hello Gum.

I am tracing my family tree, and i have a Sam and Alice Smith from the Mitcham area in my tree as a long shot are the parents of Sam, Samuel (Samson) Smith and Rachel Smith nee Deakins?

If this does not relate to your family please accept my apologies.

Ellyllon.

Offline GUM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 24 May 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellyllon
my wife Slvia,s perants were Samual and Alice Smith from New Close they use to live next door to he sweet shop that is the one in New Close its self Ernie Eagers she told me
Also Joe and Amy Ayes were her Aunt and Uncle dont know weather her Mum and Dad that is Samual and Alice are the ones you are looking for.All use to go Hop picking for around six weeks call it a working holiday if you like. We both know the Deakins family Alice had a sister that married a Deakin her name was Olive.
Does this help
Alan

Offline GUM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 24 May 12 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there Daveymart
What sort of things would you like to know about Redskin Villiage
I or my wife may be able to help you as I said my wife was born there and my Nan and Grandad lived there for some time
Gum/Alan   

Offline Nellie marney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 19 July 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All - I'm a new person come into the mix.  I was born in New Close which at the time was my ggrandmother and ggrandfather's house.  This house was also where my father was born (he was the first child to be born in New Close - same bedroom as me).  My Mum and Dad still live in New Close along with one of my sisters and I moved out when I got married (although I go to visit more or less on a weekly basis).  It has been fantastic reading all the comments re: Red Skin Village as all the names mentioned I remember quite well, the Brookers, the Ayres, the Jameses, the Marney's (Cousins) and also my family name the Dighton's along with most of the others.  I also remember on the way to school stopping to have a chat with Nelson which always made me late.  (Message for Loggie - are you son number 1 or 2 of Barry's).  I also went to school with your Mum.  Will be on again soon - take care everyone  :D
Hi there, thanks for your reply about redskin village. I'm glad someone's replied because I've been trying to find out more for ages but keep drawing a blank. I'm kind of piecing together what little bits of information I can collect with the aim of wiritng a book (or at least an article) about the area for the local library, I've read a lot about the local history but there's a really interesting stiry about redskin village and all the travelling folk of mitcham that never gets told.
I'd love to talk to someone who really knows the area and anyone else you think might be interested in taking part.  I'll hope to hear from you again.
Best wishes
Dave

Hallo
Ive just joined and I must say that my wife was born in Redskin villiage or Rocky as we knew it then Bath Road she was born in and then moved to New Close do you need any info
Best wishes
Dave

Hallo
Hi my Granny and Grandfather lived at number 1 New Close. Neddy and Violet Marney. My Grannys' father was Joe Ayres and the other side of my family were the Dightons, some of them are still there. I ca think of a place where I felt safer but I know a lot of outsiders were warned not to go there and a lot of people were scared of going there. Amazing people, amazing times there when I was younger. can remember a portacabin which was a sweetshop, run by two old ladies (I think one was called Dolly) I remember everyone there so fondly and although I live in Devon now whenever I go up to London I try to go to New Close. When I was younger it seemed as though I was related to almost everyone in New Close, one way or another! (Perhaps I was!) Would love to hear from anyone who remembers my grandparents. Take care everyone, Debs xxx. 

Offline Nellie marney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 19 July 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hello this is Nellie marney I was married to Alfie marney