Author Topic: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge  (Read 87427 times)

Offline Courtney Mercer

• RootsChat Extra
  • 5ft black hair tattoos tiny like the pixies lol
    • View Profile
Re: Mitcham Redskin village/ Phipps Bridge
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 31 July 14 01:38 BST (UK) »
please say you can help my dad Robert goddard was brought up on the western road site mitcham behind the gas works he was living there in 1962 please help its my dad and ive been looking for him since I was 14 im 51 now please help x

Offline Bazz7573

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 21 July 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Just after finding information about me dad Alan ridley. Used to be with the Chapmans. ....penfolds.......and maccy.
yes this is the ridley that was at mitcham nick....
anyone can help

Offline Jridley1960

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 16 July 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
I’m Alan ridley’s Sister, what do you want to know about him?

Offline Chris Miller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 10 October 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm new to this, but I lived at 62 New Close between 1960 and 1984.  My parents lived there until 2004.

Names remembered:

Guys
Reader's
Kelly's
Brooker's
Marney's
Ayres'
Rose's and Osborne's shops
Goodwins
Parrott's

Great old community who still collected for and attended my mother's funeral in 2004.

Great to hear so much about the place I grew up in and hope to hear more.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Terrygee73

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
Debbie Marney I remember and aunt Betty as everybody older than u was an aunt or uncle lol best place in the world to grow up the green shed one was deaf the other blind still couldn’t chore a thing from there used to get me grannies senior service and weights from there... aunt ivy used to sit at the front window of the house just before u turned into new close and the ol chippy on the other side overlooking the laundrette  don’t make streets like them no more

Offline Lostboy87

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I lived at no. 86 New Close from 1956 - 1967 our house was in the circle oposite the pylon,next door to the Brookers.
I remember your Nan & Grandad's house , It was the one on the corner and It always seem to have runner beans growing up strings.
I moved to New Close from Colliers Wood when I was nine but I still went to the same school ( Fortescue)and I went past your Nan & Grandad's house every day on the way to and from school. I cut through the alley to Phipps Bridge road.
I remember Lofty more than anyone else, he sometimes came over to talk to my dad but thats about it.

People from New Close were looked down upon- but I have never known such a good community

Do you know anymore on the Brookers?!

Offline SammyJo123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandad Alfred (Alfie) Leonard Smith grew up in red skin village (born 1932) his parents were Unity and Ernest. I'd love to hear from anyone who knew him and has any photos to share. Sam Smith

Offline waynus james

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Sunday 19 February 23 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sam I am your cousin on your great granny Unity's side. My great granny Ellen was her sister. I have done a lot of research into their family tree - there was 23 children (4 boys and19 girls) what a lovely big family to have! I do know some of your great grandfather Ernest Smith's people who are the Chambers family. I believe Alfie was the only child they had together. Did you know Unity was married to Frank Bird before your grandad and had some daughters with him (Amy, Alice and Olive) not sure how many. I would love to see a photo of Unity and Ernie as I  have never seen one of them.  My great aunt Omy Lee is still alive (your grandad's first cousin)  she had a photo of him years ago but lost it. I think unity had a sister Louie who married Abraham Deacing who lived in Redskin Village until she died.  I would love to here more about them - please reply back yours sincerely Waynus James

Offline SammyJo123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 19 February 23 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for getting in touch. Sadly my grandad Alf passed away in 2021 of covid. I've attached a few photos of him from when he was younger if you'd like to share with Omy, he had happy life living in Morden with my nan Pam; he loved cars, motorbikes and a good old chat he had several tattoos along with one of his mum Unity. He definitely talked about Amy and Olive and how he had large family, but never knew as many as 23! I'd love to know more about Ernie and unity if you have anymore to share like what jobs/hobbies they had? I don't think we have any photos of Ernie or unity but will check with family.