Author Topic: Gough Arthur George  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Robyn373

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gough Arthur George
« on: Wednesday 24 October 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
 Hi I have hit a brick wall with my Grandfather, Arthur George Gough who m Ivy Evelyn Alice Crowne b 1903 Braidwood, NSW.
I have his marriage certificate which states he was born 1894 in Brisbane, Queensland.  Father was Henry Thomas Gough (Pastoralist) and Mother was noted as Martha (Unknown).  I have looked up QLD BDM and can find none of the names l have listed. ???

Can anyone help please or advise where to look?

Regards
Robyn
Harper, Crouch, Ellis, Haines

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gough Arthur George
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Robyn

Have you seen his army record, states he was born Blackall Qld 17 Nov 1894.

His next of kin is Ivy Gough

There are 3 separate records for him, one stating that he was born in 1893, but some of these birth dates are unreliable at times.

www.naa.gov.au
Click on Recordsearch

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 01:47 BST (UK) »
Do you have his death certificate stating parents names?

There is this Qld marriage for a Thomas Henry Gough..........

1894/C001663 Minnie Knight

Cazay

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 October 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
Searching NSW BDM online index
the following...

Death.  in 1923. Gough. Ivy A. Father Arthur G. Mother  Ivy E. Braidwood. 15541/1923.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robyn373

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 October 07 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparret, Cazay,

Thankyou for your information.  I do not have Grandfathers Death Certificate as I do not know where or when he died. 

Thankyou but I did have the information on Ivy A Gough who died in 1923 and the 1894 Qld marriage of Thomas Henry Gough to Minnie Knight.  I could not find a birth for Arthur George Gough in Brisbane or Thomas and Minnie.  Minnie does not sound like Martha, so I discounted that this was his parents. I also knew he tried three times to join the Army and he did state he was born in Blackall Qld 17 Nov 1894 and 01 Jan 1893 on the paperwork.   

On the marriage Certificate he definately states he was born in Brisbane, Qld and his age was 27 in 1921 and it looks like a shotgun wedding to Ivy Crowne Registration no: 1921/009614.  Usual occupation was noted as Plumber and residence was Goulburn.  As stated Fathers name was Henry Thomas Gough and Matha (Unknown).  All I can think of is that he may have been adopted?

To help I will give the information I do have.
There is another family in Parramatta in Sydney with Arthur George Gough and another one from Grenfell, NSW.  Neither of these seem to relate to my Grandfather.

Children of Arthur and Ivy were:

i. ARTHUR CHARLES GOUGH, b. 22 Oct 1921, Auburn St, Goulburn. New South Wales, Australia; d. 04 Feb 1992, Mt Druitt Hospital, Mt Druitt, New South Wales, Australia.
ii. IVY A GOUGH, b. 1923, Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia; d. 1923, Braidwood, New South Wales, Australia.
iii. RONALD SYDNEY GOUGH, b. 1924, Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia; d. 22 Feb 1996, Umina, New South Wales, Australia.
iv. ROBERT HENRY GOUGH, b. Abt. 1926; m. IRIS LILY GOUGH NEE IFFLAND, 1952, Rockdale, New South Wales, Australia; b. Abt. 1928.
v. JEAN LILLIAN GOUGH, b. Abt. 1927; m. KEVIN WILFRED CALDWELL, 1946, Liverpool, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia; b. Abt. 1925.
vi. GEORGE GOUGH.
vii. EDNA GOUGH.
viii. ALLAN GOUGH.

Ivy Gough went on to marry Edward Ernest Hinson in 1961 and Edward passed away in 1965.  Ivy d 04 dec 1987 in St Marys, Sydney, NSW.  There were no children from this union.  I have been in touch with her step-children from the Hinson Marriage.

Thankyou again for you help I really appreciate it.
Regards
Robyn

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 October 07 12:19 BST (UK) »
Recordsearch shows one other hit for Gough + Blackall in WWII records - a George Thomas Gough born 23 April 1908 - possible brother?

It also seems a little strange that he was born in 1893/4 but doesn't appear in the WWI records - all the hits are for WWII. Do you have full copies of the WWII records? Do they mention any previous military service?

Offline Robyn373

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,  Could be another brother I will check out. I do not think he was accepted into the army.  Must admit I could understand why as he was abt 46/47 years old but he could have had some physical problem or he may not wanted to serve in the reserves.  I have no other military service information on him.  I will check this through.

Thanks
Robyn