Author Topic: Ada Madeleine FRENCH / WILKINS  (Read 842 times)

Offline newscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ada Madeleine FRENCH / WILKINS
« on: Wednesday 24 October 07 16:23 BST (UK) »
Anyone have any info on my gg grandmother Ada Madeleine French (nee Wilkins) b 1860 Portsmouth, UK. My family believe that she emigrated to the US from Gillingham Kent in 1890's leaving behing her husband Joseph and 7 young children. She possibly took a daughter Daisy with her.

Any ideas how to trace her - I have tried searching passenger lists.

(It is possible that the emigration story is just what her children were told and that she may have just left the family home but remained in UK).

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: ADA MADELEINE FRENCH / WILKINS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 07 21:57 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that your best bet, rather than passenger lists just yet, is to hunt in USA census records. They are indexed and online and of course available on microfilm.

So you could start with 1900, then 1910, 1920 and 1930. See http://allcensusrecords.com/ for help with finding out where these records are available

After that, I'd do the passenger list route.
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: ADA MADELEINE FRENCH / WILKINS
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Did you see that there is a Daisy French born ca 1882 (which is when your Daisy d/o Ada was born) who died in 1911 in London?

It's on the FREE BMD reg. found on Ancestry. These are also on FREEBMD website but I didn't search that one so dont' know if it is found there too

This may seem like a silly question but have you checked UK census for Ada and Daisy?
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline newscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ada Madeleine FRENCH / WILKINS
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Backwards:

Yes I have checked the UK Census for Ada and Daisy both under French and Wilkins.

I haven't checked the US Census yet - have only just got access to them. I will do that as soon as I get the time!! I don't hold out much hope as  I guess that they would have married and had a name change. Also, I have no idea what part of US they would have gone to. New York would be a good starting point.

I HAVE looked at the Ellis Island records and couldn't find anything obviously them there.

I did do a comprehensive search of the UK BMD records but will look again at your suggestion for Daisy.

Thanks for your ideas - any welcome!!!