Author Topic: Page family, Quebec & Ontario  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Page family, Quebec & Ontario
« on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:17 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me track down anything on this fanily, primarily Stephen Harvey Page born 1832, who it's believed moved to Canada in 1850 (from England). He married Nancy Ann Colbran c1859 and the family flitted between Quebec & Ontario for a few years, settling there (in York East) by the mid-late 1870s.

I'm particularly looking for any census returns before 1881, especially an 1851 which shows Stephen, hopefully with parents, though I don't know if he emigrated with them or on his own. Also interested in any marriage details between him & Nancy (known as Ann in census returns), which also might give some clue about his parents.

Ta

Impy

Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Page family, Quebec & Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:20 BST (UK) »
Oh, or a passenger list that shows him would be great
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Impy

Found his death in the County of York in 1908 but unfortunatly the parents of the deceased where not added until 1909  :(

Do you have his death information?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, Stephen Page, Farmer, died 8th Oct 1908 at 76 years & 2 months, 133 River St, Toronto. Born England. Died of Arterio Sclerosis & Gangrene of 7 week duration.

Ann died 4 years earlier at Balliol St, Toronto
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 07 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Impy

Looks like a daughter Jane Marie born Hudson, Quebec abt 1867.  If you have access to Ancestry you could try searching Drouin page's for her birth/baptism record in the year 1867 give or take a year. Often a names index is at the end of each year. I would check for you; however, I do not subscribe to Ancestry.
http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=1091&path=H.Hudson+(Methodist+Church)

015165-87 Levein Jackson LaBARRE, 20, labourer, New York USA, York Township, s/o Hinn? & Catherine LaBARRE married Jane Maria PAGE, 20, Hudson -Prov Quebec, York Township, d/o Stephen & Ann PAGE Witn Stephen PAGE & Lovey COLBRAN both of York Twp, March 2, 1887 at York Township
(Transcribed page of Mary Crandall http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maryc/york87.htm )

If Jane Maria Page is their first born, maybe they married in Hudson and a marriage record would be found in the Methodist Church records of Hudson as well. This is hypothetical, but a good possibility. You could try the 3 day trial to Ancestry to access Drouin records, if you haven't already done so.

Looks like a son born abt 1877 North Toronto

17461-99 (York Co): William Coltrain (or Colbran) PAGE, 22, brick maker, York twp., North Toronto, s/o Stephen & Ann, married Millie Loretta FAIRFIELD, 22, Minden, Toronto, d/o James & Maria, witn: John S. PAGE & Helen COLTRAIN (or Colbran), both of N. Toronto, 8 Dec 1898 at Deer Park

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 07 09:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that information. I had found Jane Marie's marriage, but not that of William. I assume I would need access to the worldwide ancestry to access the record, and I only have subscription to UK records.

Jane was Stephen and Ann's 3rd known child. In 1881 the family were:

Stephen 45 Farmer. b Eng.
Ann 39. Eng
James. 21. Lab. Quebec
William. 18. Lab. Ont
Jane. 14. Quebec
Stephen. 12. Quebec
George. 10. Ont
Alfred. 8. Ont
Charles. 6. Quebec
Henry. 4. Ont
John. 2. Ont

All Church of England

In 1901 Stephen and Ann were living in York East with son, Albert aged 18 and next door to John S Page and wife, Ida. Stephen's birthdate was listed as 3rd July 1832. Ann's 7th Apr 1842 (though this differs to a research website that gives 20th Aug 1843 as her birthdate, unless they are using a late baptism date). I have also found matches for sons James, Charles, Stephen and George elsewhere, mostly in York East.

I think it's likely the marriage was in Quebec, as their first child was born here, but they did move between the states frequently during the 1860s & 70s. There are no records to suggest they left Ontario after Henry's birth c1876.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Impy

I checked Ancestry at my library and viewed the images. It is not William that married Millie Loretta Fairfield it was Henry. On the page it is hard to read - looked like it could have been Wm or Hen. Even looking at other H or W on page it was difficult to tell. It is Henry. I confirmed this by looking for births and found the following three children born to Henry & Millie. Twins Alfred Henry & Marjory Levanche born June 27, 1899 in York County (MS929_148) and Mary born Dec. 25, 1903 (MS929_170) also York Co.  On the twins birth record, his name is written Henry Colborne Page, so most probably Henry Colbran.
Here is Henry  & Millie on the 1901 census with twins. http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/ProofFrame.jsp?id=31788  They are mistranscribed as Harry and Hildred. The twins are there and a birthdate for your Henry Dec 6, 1876 born rural Ontario.

If you have the marriage of John and Ida Gerrie, you must know then his middle name was Samuel and his birth place is given as East York. (MS932_106)

I did find an Albert Page (parents your Stephen & Ann) married 13 APR 1904 Maud Walker (parents Alexander & Mary Ann Gerrie) in York Co.  Albert was born North Toronto and aged 21. Maud also 21, born Fergus (MS932_116). Albert was a milkman. Another Gerrie connection as Ida's father was John Gerrie and mother Mary Fisher.
Here they are on 1911 census with children:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=77878

Cheers,
Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby