Author Topic: Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY  (Read 15530 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmother - Majory DOHERTY
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

I recently bought some credits on SP so I can conduct some searches for you.

I think I found your Grandmother's Mum's death record--she died in Glasgow in 1937 and she was registered under the name of Alice Margaret Doherty and it also showed her maiden name to be McGuire.

It seems we do have a right person...Also this person may have a sister whom married to another Doherty man--she was a Catherine and from same area in Glasgow.

It is possible she was known as Margaret to the family and friends but she was formally known as an Alice.

Want me to take a peek at this death record?? It may tell us who was her husband and her parents.

Also, there was a Mary Doherty who died in Stirling. She is awful young--42 years old and she died in 1942.

Awaiting your "approval."

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

I think I may have found your Grandmother--it seems she was 3 years old at the time of the 1891 Census in Kelvin, Glasgow.

She was not a Marjory but a Margaret.

I think Marjory may have been her nickname or pet name when she was growing up and she decided to adopt it as her name.

That may account for not able to find her birth record.

Want me to take a peek at this Margaret?

What interesting about this is that I could not find her mother under Alice or Margaret. Her father's name is too common--could not differ them...if we know where they got married--may narrow our search in the censuses.

I notice that you posted another post on Toby Wilders and it stated that the couple was travelling performers. That may be one of many reasons for not able to find them in the records as we do not know where they were from, etc.

Have you any thought about the Irish origins? Or looking south of the Borders?

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

I take a close look at marriages--it seems that the names do not matched up with the names you stated.

I am starting to think that your family may be travelling showpeople--that means they may had gotten married somewhere else--not in Scotland.

Will try the births to see if we can come up with something...I am betting that the actual name was McGrearie, not Docherty or something like that. Somehow, it changed over to Docherty or Doherty to avoid any suspicion or to avoid the legal troubles.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 16:31 GMT (UK) »
hi tees,

well done,

i am really interested in the alice margaret doherty's death in 1937, it may be helpful to know who registered the death and if her husband was still alive?

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 16:44 GMT (UK) »
hi tees,

well done,

i am really interested in the alice margaret doherty's death in 1937, it may be helpful to know who registered the death and if her husband was still alive?

Joe

Hi Joe!

Darn it! It seems we are back to the square one as they say.

This Alice Margaret Doherty was a wife of James Doherty, Wine & Spirits Merchant. BUT she was daughter of John McGuire & Margaret Doherty.

This death was registered by her son, Maurice of Sandbanks Street.

I am starting to think Marjory's parents died in Ireland, not in Scotland.

Like she said that her parents were deceased at both of her marriages. 1937 is not a right year...

Will hop over to the UHF to see if there were any baptism records on Marjory Doherty or Docherty and a marriage record for her parents.

I think Ireland is a good candidate to look in unless her parents were registered under the different names unknown to us.

Regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

What type of employment did this father of Marjory Doherty hold as stated on both marriage records?

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 17:35 GMT (UK) »
hi pal,

recognise any of these names?

1901 census- 60 rose street, glasgow

patrick doherty...age 43...riverter...born ire
margaret...age 41...born ire
james...age 18...riverter's apprentice
patrick...age 14
margaret...age 10
michael...age 8

children born glasgow, could your majorie be indeed margaret?

Joe

Hi Joe,

For your information, I looked up on Michael's birth entry and it showed that his mother was a Leyden--however, it was indexed as a Doherty despite the fact his father was able to read/write his name which was Docherty.

So, we would have to dismiss this family. No offence intended!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greendoor,

Trouble with the surname of Doherty is that we cannot use the Soundex as SP will use Doherty. If we want to include the Docherty, it still do not work using the Soundex.

That means we have to use two surnames in order to find her birth entry.

Interestingly, it bothers me a bit--that she got married in Campeltown which is quite a distance from Glasgow.

Wondering if you can send for the church record on their marriage?? It may tell us if she was of the parish or not.

Also, you would need to tell us the names of the witnesses on both marriage certificates so we can try to tie up any loose ties. Also, what was the occupation of her father on both certificates.

Interestingly, there was a Marjory Docherty in 1901 but she was 80 years old and in Ayr--not far from Glasgow.

There was a 1886 birth entry for a Margaret Doherty in Ayr.

And other in Glasgow...

I am tempted to take a peek at one of the entries.

Any brilliant idea that we can go and find her...otherwise, we chalk it up as a mysterious chapter in your Grandmother's family history.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joekar and Greendoor,

I am down to 4 credits on SP.

Let me know how to proceed on two birth entries.

I honestly think your Grandmother Marjory was not registered under Marjory but was nicknamed by the family or was affectionately called Marjory after her Grandmother?

I think she was named after her Mother who was a Margaret.

Kind regards,

Tees