Author Topic: Schon family "Palm Cottage" Canterbury Street, Gillingham  (Read 7847 times)

Offline Raphael

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Schon family "Palm Cottage" Canterbury Street, Gillingham
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 December 07 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David I also found this.

James Frederick Schon (b c.1802) of Ober Weiler, Baden, Germany attended the Basel Seminary and, in 1831, the Church Missionary Society College. He was ordained a deacon in 1831 and priest in 1832 when he went to Sierra Leone. He accompanied the first Niger Expedition in 1841. His connection with the CMS ceased in 1853 after 20 years' service. He was renowned for his African linguistic work, particularly in Hausa, and he continued to be engaged in this work after ceasing to be a missionary. He was the author of numerous works including Journal of the Niger Expedition (1842); Vocabulary and Elements of Grammar of the Haussa Language (1843); Translations of Genesis, Exodus, the Gospels, and the Acts of the Apostles into the Hausa Language (1857-1861); Grammar of the Haussa Language (1862); Dictionary of the Hausa Language (1876). In 1848 he became chaplain to the Melville Hospital, Chatham. In 1877 he was awarded the Volney Prize for his linguistic work and in 1884 received an honorary doctorate from Oxford University. He died at Chatham 30 March 1889. Schon married Anne Elizabeth Nylander in 1835: she died in Sierra Leone 5 Nov 1837. In 1839 he married Cordelia Irving who died the following year. On 5 February 1841 he married Catherine White (nee Drake), the widow of James White, a CMS missionary. Catherine survived her husband, dying 26 Oct 1892. One daughter, Annie Catherine married Edward Thomas Higgens, CMS missionary in Ceylon, in 1858.
Reference: Register of missionaries (clerical, lay & female) and native clergy from 1804 to 1904, Church Missionary Society, 1905).

Now that is what I call useful. Still cant find were he had his children baptised and am a little confused by the details of the child who married as its not one of the schon's kids

Barry
Hello Barry
Sorry about my error on the post
I was trying to send an additional links on records of  fiche available for this family. unfortunately it would not allow me to copy and pase details on here . I have had no trouble in the past on this site and others.

Yes Barry certainly a first class post.

Regards with apologies
Raphael
UK & Germany

Delaunay, Hackney,McIntosh, Culloden, Manchester -Lancashire, Salford, Blackley, Crumpsall, Cheetham Hill M/cr.  Grappenhall-Warrington.   Gonter-Hackney Düsseldorf & Derendorf , NRWF Germany.

Offline mongoose2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 December 07 17:33 GMT (UK) »
as as added bit of interest Annie C schon marries Edward T Higgens in Ceylon in 1858 I have found them back in the country in 1881 ( annie and the kids no Edward) and finally in 1901. Edward shows living with Annie in 1901 less than 2 miles from where James lived in Gillingham. He is born around 1825 in Snodland just South of where they end up in 1901.

Barry
James, Farr in Cornwall and all the others on my website

Offline histoiregeek

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 14:13 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that I am 13 years late to this thread  :)  However, in the unlikely chance that the original posters revisit the thread:

Queen Victoria's god-daughter, Sara Forbes Bonetta, freed as a child from slavery in Benin, lived with the Schon family at Palm Cottage:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Forbes_Bonetta?fbclid=IwAR0azafxXZZmJoXQ62tEy-mm09yJHQEiJqnQwg2W5qG_rVBiS3Y0Em-X3j0