Author Topic: John Edward Kerrisk  (Read 6069 times)

Offline frtiz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Edward Kerrisk
« on: Friday 26 October 07 07:09 BST (UK) »
Looking for John Kerrisk?? Carlow, Kerry Faranford, Kilarney born 1/9/1857 Came to Australia on board the Seipa 1875 - origins London and Queenstown 21 when he sailed. Settled in Rockhampton and around Charters Towers.
Father Jerrimah Kerrisk could have been Demetrius
Mother Mary Maher or Johanna O'Mara
can not find any record back in Ireland. Any help would be appreciated
Kerrisk, Bird, Mullins,McNeill, Ryan, Greaves,Hutchinson,

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Edward Kerrisk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 May 08 13:13 BST (UK) »
I have a baptismal record of an Edmund/Edward Kerrisk 1854 Dromore townland (nr Farranfore) Kerry
Parents were Demetrius/Jeremiah Kerrisk and Johanna Mara
Other children (Baptismal records) were
Maria 1858
Patrick 1861
Timothy 1862
Margaritta 1867
Jeremiah and Johanna Mara were one of five Kerrisk families living in Dromore - I believe the Kerrisk men were brothers but have been unable to verify. My ggrandfather was Patrick Kerrisk m. Anna Harrington one of the five families. I haven't done much on the Kerrisk line recently but contact me directly if you wish
regards
Clare  Tuohy
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 May 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Kit
Delighted that information is of help.
Am almost certain that these are your Jeremiah Kerrisk and Johanna Mara.
I don't have much more information on this line but am listing dates of baptism (source Firies RC. parish register Kerry)
Edmund 17Dec 1854
Maria 26 Feb 1858
Patrick 28 Apr 1861
Timothy 11 Oct 1862
Honora 26 Feb 1865
Margaret 12 Jan 1867.
All the children were born in the townland of Dromore which is very near the village of Farranfore. If you don't have a map I can scan one showing you the location. I'm new to rootschat so am not sure what I can attach - and my computer skills are fairly basic. Perhaps it may be better to send it to you off list. Let me know.
The earliest record I can find for Kerrisk in Dromore is 1849 when an Edward Kerrisk rented a farm there -most indigenous Irish were tenant farmers at that time.(map shows the farm house) There were four other Kerrisk families -John K & Margaret Foley. Michael Kerrisk & Margaret Shea. Edmund/Edward K & Johanna Reilly  and my gg parents whom I believe were brothers but cannot verify. By 1852 John & Patrick had moved to farms in Gortalassa a nearby townland and  there are some present day descendants of John living in the area today.
I suspect that your Jeremiah may have been a younger brother and worked with Edward on the family farm - it is interesting that your records show him as a carpenter  as I have found many younger farm sons without land often became carpenters.
My maternal grandfather was Denis Kerrisk but around 1900 the family changed to Healy so my Kerry relatives are now Healys. You probably know that Kerrisk is a variant of Healy and found mostly  in Kerry in the area between Killarney and Tralee. A number of former Kerrisk families now use Healy. Most of the information I have is related to my line Patrick Kerrisk and Anna Harrington so I don't have much more on Demetrius/ Jeremiah. They all had large families which makes it  difficult to disentange the different lines.
 I am based in Dublin (Ireland) so a phone call isn't very practical -  tel no 
XXXX - am not sure if I can post my e-mail address here but will be glad to give you any more information I have.

Regards
Clare Tuohy

(*) Moderator Comment: phone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline frtiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 08 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare'
So excited though 12.30am am have just arrived from a ball so will email you to momorrow, looks good. 'C
Cheers
Kit McNeill (Kerrisk)

Offline frtiz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 May 08 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare

Thank you so much for the info and I am pretty sure that this is our fellow even though he went by the name of John. So  is your  gg grandfather Denis related to Jeremiah or Edward. John (Edward) was only 21 when he came to Australia. I am really interested in finding out the reason he travelled out here by himself at such a young age and if any of his brothers or sisters also came. At one stage we did think one brother may have come with him but got off the ship in New Zealand, this was family legend down through the years until I proved it wrong having started to delve into the family history. Do you have the names of Jeremiah parents. I am not sure how you would go about scanning doc and sending them through roots though if you could would be most appreciative if you could send me a copy of the batism certificate and a map of the area where they lived. My email address is (*) this might make it a lot easier.

Our side of the family even though we are third generation Aussies have always maintained our Irish links. I have been to Ireland three times, one with my daughter Jess who won the Northern Territory - Australia tile Rose of Tarlee. I went with her to the pageant in Tarlee in 2003 what an experience and one which she will never forget. My brother and sister and Aunt and Uncle, and nieces have also visited and worked their several times, so we have a great fondness for the place.

John /Edward Kerrisk on arriving in Australia settled in the Rockhampton region and started up a bullock run between Rockhampton and Mt Isa. He married a Mary Mahoney in Rockhampton and had two children (this only came to light when I started my research) and it then appeared that she died though can't find the death crt (we will give him the benefit of the doubt ) he then married my gg grand mother Catherine Mullins, they had 8 or 12 children not sure without going back at the records, one of his sons Jonas was my grandfather who  married Mary Bird and had four children one my father * and my uncle * who is still alive today 87. I have one brother * *, * and two grandchildren * & *, wow that the family history in a nut shell. I tell you once you start on this family three business it is a full time job. I have had to put it away for the time being as I devote most of my time to my passion painting and was finding the ftree taking up to much time.

Once again Clare I am delighted to have heard from you and any more information would be most appreciated.

Kind regards
Kit McNeill - Kerrisk.

Kit
Delighted that information is of help.
Am almost certain that these are your Jeremiah Kerrisk and Johanna Mara.
I don't have much more information on this line but am listing dates of baptism (source Firies RC. parish register Kerry)
Edmund 17Dec 1854
Maria 26 Feb 1858
Patrick 28 Apr 1861
Timothy 11 Oct 1862
Honora 26 Feb 1865
Margaret 12 Jan 1867.
All the children were born in the townland of Dromore which is very near the village of Farranfore. If you don't have a map I can scan one showing you the location. I'm new to rootschat so am not sure what I can attach - and my computer skills are fairly basic. Perhaps it may be better to send it to you off list. Let me know.
The earliest record I can find for Kerrisk in Dromore is 1849 when an Edward Kerrisk rented a farm there -most indigenous Irish were tenant farmers at that time.(map shows the farm house) There were four other Kerrisk families -John K & Margaret Foley. Michael Kerrisk & Margaret Shea. Edmund/Edward K & Johanna Reilly  and my gg parents whom I believe were brothers but cannot verify. By 1852 John & Patrick had moved to farms in Gortalassa a nearby townland and  there are some present day descendants of John living in the area today.
I suspect that your Jeremiah may have been a younger brother and worked with Edward on the family farm - it is interesting that your records show him as a carpenter  as I have found many younger farm sons without land often became carpenters.
My maternal grandfather was Denis Kerrisk but around 1900 the family changed to Healy so my Kerry relatives are now Healys. You probably know that Kerrisk is a variant of Healy and found mostly  in Kerry in the area between Killarney and Tralee. A number of former Kerrisk families now use Healy. Most of the information I have is related to my line Patrick Kerrisk and Anna Harrington so I don't have much more on Demetrius/ Jeremiah. They all had large families which makes it  difficult to disentange the different lines.
 I am based in Dublin (Ireland) so a phone call isn't very practical -  XXX - am not sure if I can post my e-mail address here but will be glad to give you any more information I have.

Regards
Clare Tuohy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail addresses, phone numbers, mailing addresses removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Details of living people removed.