Author Topic: DARRAGH/HIGGNS AHOGILL c1850--70  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DARRAGH/HIGGNS AHOGILL c1850--70
« on: Friday 26 October 07 13:10 BST (UK) »
MY great grand parents GILBERT HIGGNS & ANNIE (ANNA) DARRAGH were married 12/10/1861 at Ahogill First Presbyterian Church.
The record tells me that GILBERT was a soldier at that time and he was aged 23. His father was named  Hugh Higgns and he was a weaver.
ANNIE--was aged 22 and her father was  Patrick Darragh--a servant.

I would be gratfeul if anybody could tell me how to  find out which regiment Gilbert served in--also where i can trace the births  of both bride and groom--or anything pre 1861 please.about  their  parents.

I have the dobs of their children but not too sure about correct date of my grand mother's birth., She was Jane Higgins and there are 2 Janes--one--dob 10/04/1872 presumably she died but I have been unable to trace a record of this, Then a dob of  21/01/1877 for the 2nd Jane.--this is my grandmother On 2 census forms it gives her birth year  as c 1878 which would tie in with 1877 but  her brthday was 1st April not 21st January..
Any help/advice/pointers in the right direction would be welcomed
Thank you--Eileen.
Munro, Ross, Gardner, Ballantyne, Higgins, Darroch --Scotland.
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England
Mitchell. Higgins, Darragh-- Ireland

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DARRAGH/HIGGNS AHOGILL c1850--70
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 October 07 15:16 BST (UK) »
Since Gilbert & Anna were both born before the start of birth registration in Ireland you will not get birth records or certificates for either of them. Church records (if they still exist) might give names of both parents or just the fathers.
If Gilbert was a soldier at the time of his marriage he may have originally come from somewhere outside the area.
IGI lists 3 children: Thomas (1866), Jane (1872-twice), Clara (1879).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 07 13:53 BST (UK) »
  :)began in Ireland--I will see if I can track down a site for the church they were married in

I will try IGI records--I take it you mean the LDS site? i know--think  know!! that they hold these  as when I googled IGI that's what came up. I was given a list of dobs re another branch of the family for IGI but nothing when I tried so wonder if I am looking in the wrong place! ::)
Thank you--Eileen
Moss, Stenson,Varnham, Smith, Turner. Harris. Yeats/Yates, Birkett, Askew, Walmsley. Allman.Laugharne --England

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
IGI is short for International Genealogical Index which is part of LDS site. Most of the extracted Irish birth records (1864-c1882) will be found on IGI. Other parts of LDS site like Ancestral Record and Pedigree Resource File are often submitted records.
If you go to LDS site, click 'search' tab and then do a parent search- enter only father's first & last names and mother's first & last names or just first name and you might get some results.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 07 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Again--thank you for this help :)--I do appreciate it & will  see what I can find this afternoon
Eileen

Offline Eileencrimond17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 April 11 16:45 BST (UK) »
 Boyd/Darragh
« on: Today at 16:06:33 »   

~~~~~~~~
My great grandmother Annie Higgins ms Darragh died in Busby, Renfrewshire 01/01/1912.
On her death record it stated that her deceased  parents were Patrick Darragh (Darroch in Scotland) and Ellen Boyd

Annie Darragh was married aged  22 in 1861 to Gilbert Higgins , a soldier,at Ahoghill C Antrim 1st Presbyterian church and they were both living in Ahoghill at that time.

I'm trying to find out when/where Ellen Boyd & Patrick Darragh were married. Also--where/when Ellen Boyd was born and any siblings she had

Any help/advice would be very welcome please

Thank you --Eileen