Author Topic: One of my brickwalls - Isabella PAPE  (Read 5961 times)

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
One of my brickwalls - Isabella PAPE
« on: Saturday 27 October 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
Isabella Pape (nee Whitfield) was born 1846 in Workington (Cockermouth) to John Whitfield and his wife Mary (nee Beeby) who lived in the Seaton Iron Works area.

She married a Roger Pape on 25 February 1969 at St John's Church, Workington, he was a 26 year old Seaman living Bridge Street, Workington, father a Richard Pape a Labourer. Isabella was living King Street Workington a 23 year old Spinster father John Whitfield, Gardner.

Roger died 11 March 1871 at Bridge Street, Workington age 29, the informant was a Mary Graham of Bridge Street, Workington.

The 1871 census shows his widow Isabella Pape living with her sister Mary Ann McCoid (nee Whitfield) and her family in Workington, Isabella is shown as a widow.

After the 1871 census I have lost all track of her, I have followed up a few marriages to no avail and have never found a death for her.

Can anyone help please ?

Regards Mary

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ONE OF MY BRICKWALLS - ISABELLA PAPE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,
there is a death of an Isabella pape registered in Wigton 1918 but at 54 whereas your Isabella should have been 64 - she lied or a typo?

There is also a marriage for an Isabella Pape in Q2 1880 to either a Porteous or a Thompson.
There is no death for an Isabella Porteous on Freebmd but she may have died after the records end (we are up to 1920's and she would only have been in her70's).
There is a death of an Isabella Thompson  in 1914 but she was recorded as aged 64.
Either of these marriage certs would give a previous name and an age.
not definitive but maybe a start.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ONE OF MY BRICKWALLS - ISABELLA PAPE
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 19:05 GMT (UK) »
there is a death of an Isabella pape registered in Wigton 1918 but at 54 whereas your Isabella should have been 64 - she lied or a typo?

There is also a marriage for an Isabella Pape in Q2 1880 to either a Porteous or a Thompson.

The one who married Wilf THOMPSON was 25 in 1881, born Holme Cultram.

The one who died in 1918 was probably wife of George PAPE, she was born c1865 Birkby(?).
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: One of my brickwalls - Isabella PAPE
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Message for Geoff E
Thanks Geoff E, I have l read lookeed ino the marriage of an Isabella Pape Wigton 1880 and found she married a Wilfred Thompson in 1880.   Looking  at the 1891 she was born Holme Cultram and going back to the 1871 there was an Isabella Pape born Holme Cultram who seems to fit the bill, she was a daughter. So not my Isabella who on the 1871 was a widow.  Thanks for your help and interest.
Regards Pauline Thomas

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Geoff,
I will go with both of those. But that means we haven't helped!  Doh!
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bon and Geoff2
I think I may have answered the query, in that an Isabella Pape married a Robert Porteous and these are the further records you have found and I thank you.
I have found the Isabella Pape married to the Robert Porteous and altho'the  names of the children are family names can discount her as she was born Holme Coultran Cumberland and going back to the 1871 there is indeed an Isabella Pape there born Holme Coultram.
So for me back to the drawing board !
Regards Pauline Thomas and thanks for your interest.

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bon and Geoff2
I think I may have answered the query, in that an Isabella Pape married a Robert Porteous and these are the further records you have found and I thank you.

Sorry, I think it was Wilfred THOMPSON that Isabella PAPE married in 1880 ... no children in 1881 and living near Wigton.

It seems to me that Robert PORTEOUS married Elizabeth JEFFERSON and they were in Silloth in 1881 (no children).

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I think at this point, a small clarification is needed -

The 1851 census has Isabella WHITFIELD (dau of John And Mary) aged 4 born and living in Seaton/Camerton - across the River Derwent from Workington.  At that time, John was a Tin Plate worker, but by 1861 was an AgLab.  They were still living in Seaton in 1861.

I can't find the family in 1841, but from the birthplaces of Isabella's siblings, they should have been in Haltwhistle or Seaton, moving around that time (1841).

Having said all this, I can't see a suitable Isabella born c1847 Seaton/Camerton in the 1881 census with a marriage that is any use. :(

Offline beeby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Replies to Messages No 6 and 7

I agree my mistake, it was Wilfred Thompson an Isabella Pape (not mine !) married in Wigton in 1880, his wife Isabella was from Holme Cultram.

Indeed my Isabella (1846) was the daughter of John Whitfield and Mary Whitfield (nee Beeby) one of 11 children born to the couple.  Father John was born Haltwhistle and his wife Mary Cumwhitton.

They are on the 1841 census at Seaton Iron Works.

My Isabella seems to have disappeared after 1871 but I won't give up !

Thanks for everyone's interest.

Regards, Pauline