Author Topic: Mad hatters of Dublin?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
Mad hatters of Dublin?
« on: Sunday 28 October 07 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a family largely  born in Dublin of hatters. Their surname is Guest and the father of the family is Ralph Guest who is deceased  by 1857 when  his son James  (born 1837 in Dublin marries in England). His wife is Ann  born 1816 in Ireland turns up as a widow in1861 in England along with her daughter Amelia born in 1842 in Ireland. They are living with Ralph Guest (junior) born about 1834 also in Dublin . He too is a hatter. However he first turns up in England in 1851 in Birmingham in England (as a hatter ) living with his uncle George Guest (another hatter)-and here's the rub- born in 1801 in London - together with his wife Mary (born 1806 in Ireland). Can anyone investigate further as to who is what and where. I have heard of some hatters in Dublin by the name of Frederick Guest and Francis Guest- but how does this tie up with Ralph and his family? And make sense of the place of birth of George Guest?
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Online dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Mad hatters of Dublin?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 07 23:16 GMT (UK) »
From a few directories I have:
Guest, Frederick, 92 Dame Street, hatter

No listing for Guest

Francis, 8 Fleet St (hatter)

Guest, George, Manufacturing agent, 52, William Street
Guest, Miss T., 22 Kildare street
Guest, Mrs., 72 Leeson street lower
Guest, Mrs., 99 Stephen's green South
Guest, Mrs., 2 Eglinton terrace, Dundrum
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline saxonw.

• RootsChat Senior
  • So many honest folk but it's the liars and cheats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 07 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that.  i still don't know ow they all fit in together. I don't know if any of the 1873 ones were  cousins left in Dublin: mine I think are all in England bu about 1856.
Warks -Blundell, Stagg,Guest,Jennings<br />Ireland -Guest , Connor, Nowlan/Nolan,Hemming<br />Norfolk-Stagg<br />Cardigan-Jones<br />Glamorgan- David<br />Monmouth  and Glos-Witts, Bowsher<br />Derby Leics and Notts: Roulstone, Morley,Astle, Poxon , Bywater, Sanderson, Barnett, Fletcher<br />Hants- Jennings<br />Cornwall- Trestain, Stirrup,Gyles, Pearce, Cock<br />Devon- Hutchin(g)s , Griffey,Davies<br />Middlesex- Stirrup

Offline Huntv

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I am related to Ralph Guest, his son Arthur Guest, his son Harold Guest and my mum Wendy. They are from Smethwick but used to live in Birmingham. We must have some common ancestry.

Offline familysearch2011

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »