Author Topic: VACHER, All  (Read 17850 times)

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
VACHER, All
« on: Monday 27 December 04 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I would love to hear from any Vacher family members reaseaching thier tree! Seems that most of the family arose from the Devon Dorset area!

please contact me, We are still a smallish family name! D x
Brunton, Binnington, in Cullercoats
Paterson, Anderson in Fifeshire
Vacher, Vatchers, Vatyers, (other various spellings) , in Dorsetshire
Marchams, in Oxfordshire / Berkshire (depending on date)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vacher Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi DebPat,

In my wife's family we have a Fanny VACHRE, born 1835 in Blandford, Dorset.
She married John Benson (1851 ?) and moved with their family to Brinscall, Lancashire in 1871.  Her daughter Fanny Benson married James Kennedy.

My Father in law, James Kennedy's grandson, provided most of my information and I have found more on the Dorset OPC site: www.dorset-opc.com.  If you don't know this site already, have a look, it's fantastic ! They only have VACHER on there, so my father-in-law could have got the spelling wrong. Most of them came fom Milton Abbas.

My F-i-L mentioned a Hardy VACHRE, but isn't sure now whether Hardy was Fanny's brother, father or maybe he was a HARDY who married another VACHER daughter. The VACHERs, or maybe HARDYs, were cattle and horse dealers.
He was five at the time, when his G-Grandmother (Fanny VACHRE) used to collar him and tell him all about the family !  Pity he didn't have a photographic memory !!

Any bells ringing anywhere ??
Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: VACHER, All
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 04 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob, Nice to meet you! I shall keep your info in my record! I am very very sure i shall link you in sooner or later!

I have heard that The Vacher's may be descended from 3 Vacher brothers who fled Switzerland when the non-Catholics were being massacred (are you familiar with the people known as Huguenots that fled to England centuries ago?).  One brother settled in the West Country, one near to Southampton, and one settled in London so the story goes.  But I feel that the central link in all of this is Dorset

So we shall see what we will see! D x

Offline zapcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 January 05 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello DebPat

I have the Vatcher name in my files dating from a marriage in 1819 in Christchurch, Hampshire. (which is in Dorset now but always was in Hampshire before 1974)

Would you like further details because members of my family married into this family?  Also be aware that I have found this name in the 1901 census transcribed as RATCHER!

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 January 05 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes Please Jane! Any and All info very welcome! Please could you concentrate the info on the Vatcher member i have so many Peeps hanging about now i could do with a much bigger hard drive! Grin. I to have come aross some very funny Sp. Vatcher, Vacer, Vatch, Vacher, Vachre, Pacher, Ratcher, Loads and Loads! all good fun serves to keep ua awake! Grin! Have Pmed you with my email addy! D x

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 05 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb,

remember my Fanny VACHRE or VACHER ??

Well I have just discovered her daughter in the GRO index:

1864 March Fanny Elisabeth Vatcher Benson !!

So maybe "my" lot were all VATCHERs although, as I said before, my F-i-L insists that it is pronounced VAY-CHER (hard CH)

I'm still looking, one day I shall know more, and
Quote from: DebPat
So we shall see what we will see!

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 January 05 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Bob, Nice to hear you are making progress on the fanny frount (LOL) as for the spelling differences i get the impression that it was written however it was heard! Grin i have being tracking vachers back through the 71, 61, 51, 41 censuses (Dorset OPC) and the samr family appears with a different spelling depending on the year! Grin! So i guess everyone did just that!!!! GUESS wrote it as they heard it! ??? D x

Offline wayneharris

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I believe I have a Vacher in my tree. She was Frances Vacher who married a Thomas Gue (a Carpenter) in 1844 in Thruxton, Hampshire. Her father was a James Vacher, no longer alive in 1844. She lived in Andover with Thomas and they had 6 children before Frances died in 1864. I have traced down almost all of the Gues in Andover (and Romsey before that), but have not yet had time to "have a go" at the Vachers.
Let me know if this is any use to you, I have got the line from Frances Vacher down to me present day. (Probably no use, but you never know)
Good luck with your search
Wayne Harris
Harris (Aston and Ludlow), Murphy, Haywood, Mason, (Birmingham), Gue (Hampshire and Birmingham),
Ralph (Worcestershire), Law (Aston),
Vacher,Hurst (Hampshire),
Warren, White (Devon)
Bourne, Phillips, Vaughan, Calcutt (all various)

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wayne, Do you have any birth info or a marriage date for Frances Vacher? I have Pmed you with my email addy so as to not clog up the Board!

Thanks for contacting me! D x