Author Topic: Canada & Galway. Passport.  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Canada & Galway. Passport.
« on: Monday 29 October 07 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone.

I have just received a copy of my Grans 2nd husband's passport. and thier marriage cert.
We know very little about him. but this is what we do know.

He emigrated to Canada don't know when, and we don't know if he went with family or not, He served in the 1st World War, and married my Gran in Liverpool in 1919, but his passport from Canada is dated 1920. so I am surmising that he had to return to Monteal, Canada, then emigrate back to Gran in England.
These are the details I have. >

Passport issued  to John Griffin esquire
Of Montreal Canada. age 34 yrs. born Galway. Ireland. D.O.B.1886

Marriage details. 13th Mar 1919. Kirkdale Liverpool
John Patrick Griffin age 33 yrs Widower
Ada Roberts age 37. Widow

Father Martin Griffin  retired carpenter.

Any info on the above greatly appreciated.

Kind regards  Scouse

Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Canada & Galway. Passport.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 08 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scouse,

Listings for Martin Griffin in Griffiths Valuarion for Co. Galway in 1855. Check these on John Hayes failteromhat.com website. The Martin on the Valuations is unlikely to be John's father.

Galway Road, Tuam
Fairhill Road, Rahoon
Newcastle Road, Rahoon
Flaskagh More, Dunmore 
Kilmacrickard, Ballynakill 
Killarainy, Kilcummin 
Newtown, Kilcummin 
Cullane, Kilcummin 
Ballynahowna, Kilbegnet

Christopher

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 08 06:04 GMT (UK) »
You may have already found this but there is a close match in the Canadian Genealogy Centre Ancestor Search database.  There is a WWI record for John Patrick Griffin, birthdate 1892.  It will contain his Attestation Papers which lists address, occupation, next of kin etc and gives a physical description.  I tried to view it but it looks like the server is down.

If you want to try tomorrow, here is the link:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 08 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynwen.

I gained access to that site , and it was, as you said full of info.
I have printed it off, and will have a close look at it all, there are a few discrepencies, ie age & not being married
Invaluable help. Thank you.

Kind regards Scouse
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 January 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scouse,

I'm glad you were able to connect - I think they must have been doing maintenance over the weekend.

If you think this is your John, you might want to post on the Canada forum for more assistance.  I don't know a lot about Nova Scotia genealogy but I think it is one of the easier provinces to search in.  You also might be able to track down his full military records which would give details of his time in the navy and hopefully help place his movements.

He joined up rather late (April 1918) so perhaps he was already a widow at that point leaving his mother as next of kin.  I also had a quick look at the 1901 and 1911 Census (I am at work and supposed to be working  :P ) but I didn't see JP listed anywhere.  There is a Johanna in Halifax in 1901 but no sign of Martin.

I don't know what the passport application process was like in 1920 but he might have been able to get one from the Canadian embassy in London.  All immigrants born in the British Commonwealth were automatically considered citizens of Canada and no formal application process was required until 1947.  If he had a Canadian passport prior to 1920, he may have been able to simply renew it in the UK.

But the Canada board is the place to go.....there are some awesome researchers over there who dig up the most amazing tidbits!
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 January 08 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi lynwen.

Thank you for the sound advice, I will sort some kind of message out incorporating some of my original post and some of the info off the attestation paperwork, ( sort of, is this the same person angle ). what do you think. Where did you get the info about John being in the Navy, I thought the paper refered to the Army?

KInd regards Scouse

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 January 08 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scouse,

There is a note on his Attestation Papers under previous service that he served in the Canadian Navy.  I've attached the snippet here. 

I see you posted on the Canada board and they are already going mad with action!  Hopefully they will help find something that will confirm one way or another whether this is your Mr. Griffin.  I'll keep an eye on the thread and keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good luck,
Lynwen
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 January 08 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lenwyn.

Yes i have just stated going through the 1901 Canadian census.
so hopefully I will come across something relevant.

Thanks for your help Scouse

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 January 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lenwyn.

Yes i have just stated going through the 1901 Canadian census.
so hopefully I will come across something relevant.

Thanks for your help Scouse