Author Topic: 32/33 Queen Square Holborn  (Read 796 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
32/33 Queen Square Holborn
« on: Monday 29 October 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has come across the institution at 32-33 Queen Sq, Holborn?
I've found a distant relative there in 1881 and am rather puzzled about what the place is. Census reference is RG11/337 folio 29 pg 54. The head of household is a 'sister of charity' and there are 3 more such sisters, some servants, several embroidresses and some visitors. It's a couple of pages away from the Royal Homeopathic Hospital and there are other hospitals in the area as well, but I can't find a reference to one at that address.
Emma Hosken born Penryn is my twig and her two daughters are also there disguised as Vosken.
It would appear now to be part of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, but what was it in 1881? It seems an odd selection of women to be under one roof.
 :-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 32/33 Queen Square Holborn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 07 22:19 GMT (UK) »
This site:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45214

describes Queen Square in 1878, and includes this

"Among the other charities which find a home here are the Hospital for Children suffering under the Diseases of the Hip, the National Hospital for Paralysed and Epileptic Persons, and a Hospital under the charge of the Anglican Sisterhood of East Grinstead."

The Sister of Charity in charge of the household at nos 32-33 in 1881 and 1891 is Ellen Haughton Noyes.  In 1871 she is in - you guessed it - East Grinstead (as Ellen Haighton Noyes) as "Sister of Mercy of the Society of St Margaret's". RG10/1058 folio 7 p9.

So it looks as though the institution you're talking about is likely to be the hospital under the charge of the Anglican Sisterhood of East Grinstead.

Hope this helps

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 07 22:24 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though the Society of St Margaret's East Grinstead still exists (though may have moved from East Grinstead in 2004):

http://www.orders.anglican.org/arcyb/ssmeastgrinstead.html

They may be able to tell you something about the nature of the "Hospital" that they once ran in Queen Square.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Anna,

thank you so much for your replies. That does make sense. I can't find 'my' Emma after 1881, so perhaps she was the one in need of treatment. Certainly, in the 1871, as a young widow, she was living with her mother who was noted as paralysed on the census - some inherited problem, possibly. Don't think whatever afflicted her was a problem for at least of the daughters as she was a teacher of gymnastics in 1891.  ::)

The number of embroiderers in the building is still a bit puzzling, and there are still some there in 1891, unless embroidery was thought a suitable occupation for women who were paralysed.

Well, that was an interesting detour from a distant twig I was following on a wet Sunday afternoon. Thanks again for your info.

:)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb