Author Topic: Elphinstone Forrest Struthers Mather - Editor Winnipeg Telegram  (Read 19229 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elphinstone Forrest Struthers Mather - Editor Winnipeg Telegram
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
This may well be the same Kate, then, as she was in Victoria...
Transcript of an interview with Mrs. Kate Mather concerning Emily Carr. ( circa 1957)
http://www.library.ubc.ca/archives/u_arch/walker1.html

Kate had shops in Victoria and was a tennant of Emily Carr's ( she is a well known Canadian artist!)...She had Emily make some clay works for her shops...wow, what a prized possession that would be to have one of those works!
http://friendsofbeaconhillpark.ca/nl/nl_022002.pdf
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 16:53 GMT (UK) »

Kate had shops in Victoria and was a tennant of Emily Carr's ( she is a well known Canadian artist!)...She had Emily make some clay works for her shops...wow, what a prized possession that would be to have one of those works!
http://friendsofbeaconhillpark.ca/nl/nl_022002.pdf

That was one of the questions on Do you Think you Are Smarter than a 5th Grade Canadian last week  ;D  What was the woman's name in Canada's famous Group of 7  :)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 November 07 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure exactly when I am getting down to the leg. library....but what am I looking for? I can see if there are copies of the editions of the paper...and if he was a vocal editor, then he may have something of note in there...or were you wanting something else, can't remember? There will likely be an obit for him....am I looking for it or will it merely duplicate all that you have?
Let me know so that it can be added to the wish list  ;D J.J.
Plus Karen I had p.m'd you regarding what the census listing was for Elphinstone...as I couldn't find it.  ::)
also..Karen, you should report that you are having trouble with that feature, as it seems an odd glitch...... :P
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 November 07 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Initially I was only looking for any info on descendants of Elphinstone and Kate and perhaps any reference to Elphinstone of his time as Editor.
To be honest, I haven't had time to get my head round all the information you've supplied.
Due to a family bereavement, I've had to put things to the side.
I'll get back to this but thanks to all for your help so far.
Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dave

Whenever you resume your search, I suspect some of the names below may be children of Elphinstone and Kate. They all have the same grave reference number.

Burial info for Kate:
MATHER, Kate Ellsworth Stovel
Cemetery: Royal Oak Burial Park (Burial Permit)
Reference: VGS-ROBP-BP
Note: Ethelwyn Alice Mather, George Hibberd Mather, Richard Mather and William Mather all have the same reference number. There is most likely a relationship to Kate - children and their spouses???

You could try contacting the cemetery to establish the relationship. http://www.robp.ca/contactus.shtml

Here is a Kate Stovel on the 1911 census in Winnipeg with her family:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/Test16.jsp?id=33375

Linda

Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 03:32 GMT (UK) »
So very sorry for your recent loss...Dave...It changes some things in one's life does it not?  It sometimes feels as though I am looking at the world through different eyes....

and speaking of eyes    "my eyes, my eyes!"
was at the leg. library ( LUCKY ME ...I could live there...)
But was disappointed to find that there wasn't an obit for him in his own newspaper...if there was, it wasn't within a reasonable date of the actual death...I think we need to go a different route, if you want to and I'll try looking around the time he enlisted, as they may have something on that...
I saw many listed who were headed out....

Henderson Directory listings:
1910- Mather E.F.S   Reporter  Telegram - 51 Steele-Blk
1911- Mather Elphinstone F.S.   municipal reporter "Telegram" - h suite 27 Tourraine BLK
1912- Mather Elphinstone F.S.  Asst news editor Telegram  - suite 6 Prince Rupert (380 Ellice)
1913- Mather Elphinstone F.S.  editor  Telegram  h  - 5 Prince Rupert
1914- Mather E. Forrest S.  city editor  r.  - 80 Spence
1915- Mather E. Forrest    emp   r - 80 Spence

Telegram Printing was at 344 McDermot ( Albert @ McDermot)
Don't know if this building still exists...

all the best, J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Plus I forgot to write Kate's name down and search for her...Mustn't forget the ladies...Although the directories only would have her listed if she was working... Not always likely in THOSE days  ::)   J.J.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By the by- Elphinstone was never the "chief" editor, unfortunately...although he seemed to be trying to work his way up there...I was hoping to find an image of him listed on the main business listing but he never was on it, just the chief's name...and other head columnists.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 04:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry everyone, I got distracted and haven't come back to this thread for a while but it is on my 'agenda'. 
I will return very soon.

Thanks so much for all the responses.

JJ What is the Henderson Directory?

As an aside, Elphinstone is a family name.  My cousin Brian that died recently (only 53) was the son of an Elphinstone Forrest, my da's closest brother.  I was Brian's best man at his wedding.

Having a name like Elphinstone in the family has been a huge plus in helping me trace family.  I've found 17 Elphinstone's, all directly linked to my family.  That does not include other Elphinstone's, such as Elphinstone Forrest Mather .  It makes me feel really proud that the name was and still is out there.  That is one of the reasons I started this post - to try and get in touch with any descendents of Elphie Mather - I can show them their ancestry back to 1750ish.

I prattle too much......sorry.

In case you've forgotten what this was about........

JJ what is Hendersons?

Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 21 November 07 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave...
It is the Winnipeg business directory in use at the time...and a wonderful source, but only good for cross-referencing if the person was working at the time...or used enough of their name to recognize them....They are all on a microfilm for each year they were in business....
J.J.