Author Topic: Charles Hames - Wesleyan Preacher  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Charles Hames - Wesleyan Preacher
« on: Thursday 01 November 07 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hiya all

I'm posting this more for people from New Zealand who are researching the Hames family tree

Charles Hames married a Mary Maddox from Ledbury in my tree and the family emigrated to New Zealand in 1864

There is an article on the family here http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?Find_Quick.asp?PersonEssay=1H6

If any of the family are researching this name come across this post please reply or PM me as I have a lot of information regarding the Maddox/Bowkett side

I only found out where they were this morning Oh isn't the Internet great!  ;D

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline HamesGal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Hames - Wesleyan Preacher
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there, 
I'm one of the NZ descendants.  We have very little information about the Maddox side of the family, would be great to find out some more!  Mary Maddox was one of the most inspiring women I know of. What they achieved was amazing, and she was the worker who held it all together.  In December 2014 we held a celebration of 150 years since Charles and Mary arrived in New Zealand, and since then every now and then I google some more.... it's very addictive, although I don't have a lot of time. My brother put together our family tree on ancestry.com.au, he is far better informed than me, I'm just a beginner.  I am especially interested in the womens stories though. Hope you're still around and get this. It would be great to hear from you.

Thanks for your time,

Robyn Marquand  :)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hiya Robyn

I am not descended from the Mattox side but Priscilla Marys mother is descended from my 5 x Great Grandfather Benjamin my website is here http://hiltonfamilytree.tribalpages.com/ it is only my direct line due to space but Priscilla's linage is as follows

Benjamin Bowkett 1728 - 1880 & Anne Varnham 1733 - 1813
Thomas Bowkett 1780 - 21.11.1868 & Margaret Grainger 1769 - 1853)
Priscilla Bowkett 1801 - 1874 & Richard Maddox 1804 - 1869

Thomas was a bit of a character who had 4 wives as far as I can tell (can only find 2 marriages) and was the Parish Clerk of St Michaels, Ledbury for 50 years marrying his last wife when he was in his 80's and she was in her 70's

If I can help anyway just let me know

Kay x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline joanne_kay

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 20 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

I too am a descendent of the Hames clan in New Zealand. Katherine Hames (grandaughter of Charles and Mary), married Stanley Fulljames who is my great grandfather. Since the recent passing of my grandmother I have been going through old photos and builidng my family tree.
I had made it back to Mary Maddox's parents, Richard and Priscilla Bowkett... and then things seemed to get a bit complicated. I am very grateful for your link to your family records and comments about Thomas' many wives.
Anyway, thanks so much for posting!