Author Topic: Mitchell - King Edward/Rothiemay  (Read 6024 times)

Offline famillemitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell - King Edward/Rothiemay
« on: Thursday 01 November 07 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about my ancestor Andrew Mitchell who was born in c1801 in King Edward Aberdeen and lived in Ramsburn Rothiemay. I know from his death record that his mother was Martha Panton c1781 but his father is simply given as '-Mitchell' so I have hit a bit of a brick wall - any suggestions?
Andrew was married to Isabella Keith and they had eight children

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell - King Edward/Rothiemay
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I take it that the 8 children you refer to - sourced from the IGI - are below. (children to Isabella Keith and Andrew Mitchell).

Also from the IGI (www.familysearch.org),  you have 2 choices of marriages - assuming the marriage took place before the first child.  I did a 5 year search either side of 1825 and came up with 2 possibilities.

1.  Andrew Mitchell m Isobel Keith on 13 Oct 1822 in Forgue , Aberdeen (shire) , Scotland.
2.  Andrew Mitchell m Isabell Keith on 12 Oct 1822, Auchterless, Aberdeen (shire) , Scotland.

GEORGE MITCHELL  Christening: 25 OCT 1835 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
CHARLES MITCHELL Christening: 24 JAN 1833 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
JOHN MITCHELL Christening: 14 MAY 1829 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
PETER MITCHEL Christening: 01 JAN 1832 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
JAMES MITCHEL Christening: 08 MAY 1825 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
WILLIAM MITCHEL Christening: 25 MAR 1827 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
ANDREN MITCHEL  Christening: 08 DEC 1822 Rothiemay, Banff, Scotland
ROBERT MITCHELL Gender: Male Birth: 05 OCT 1838 Rothiemay, Banff,
Scotland.

Andrew died on Eighteenth September 1864 - aged 63.  I tried searching on Scotlands People (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk)| for his birth.   There were 39 births with the name between the dates below and no luck.
(You searched for: Surname: "Mitchell"; Use Soundex: On; Forename: "Andrew*"; Sex: "Male"; Date From: 01 January 1798; Date To: 31 December 1803;)

I searched for Martha Pantons birth from 01 Jan 1779 to 31 Dec 1783

And came up with:

Martha Panton -b. 16/11/1779 to John Panton and Agnes King.  Parish:  West Kilbride, County : Ayr.  GROS Data:  620/0010

So, now over to you and others to see if you can get any further forward.  All the best.

Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Maybe you have this already but I found Martha Panton in the 1851 Census...living in New Byth, King Edward.

Panton, Martha 70, Head, U, Pauper Stocking Knitter, born King Edward
Panton, Elisabeth, 68, Sister, U, Pauper Stocking Knitter, Born King Edward
Ritchie, Barbara, 22, U, Granddaughter, Nursing, born King Edward
Henderson, William, Grandson, 9, Pauper Scholar, born King Edward
Forsyth, ?, 4 months, Great Granddaughter, born Methlick

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline famillemitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 07 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the help - this all matches with the information I have so far, my big problem is getting further back with Andrew and with Martha - I have had no luck searching for birth records for either and I would really like to find the full name of Andrews father - i am assuming that they weren't married.
Mike

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 07 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello -has highlighted above

I searched for Martha Pantons birth from 01 Jan 1779 to 31 Dec 1783 and came up with only one that fitted:   Martha Panton -b. 16/11/1779 to John Panton and Agnes King.  Parish:  West Kilbride, County : Ayr.  GROS Data:  620/0010.  This was obviously wrong one.

Today I've been back on to Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  and did a search of all parishes in Scotland -  from 1795 till 1835 for marriages for a female surname Panton between those years. (I'd imagine Panton is the more uncommon surname).  Came up with nearly 40, but only one married to a Mitchell - in 1824 - in Forgue.  Married to a John Mitchell.  "  John Mitchell servant in ???? and Mary Panton daughter of James Panton in A?????? were ??? proclaimed and married 30th May".  There are no Martha Pantons down as being married between those dates.  I've run out of credits, you may want to try your luck and see if  she died after 1855 - as she was obviously alive in the 1851 census.  I should have tried that first.

Sorry, just more food for thought.

I've got to give up now and go back to work before the compouer police get me...  Regards,    Steve

Offline Piglet01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
So off I went and purchased credits.  Back to SP.

No Martha Mitchells or Pantons deaths records in Scotland between 1855 and 1956.  I had hoped if she'd lived till beyond 1855 that a husbands name  - either conventional or 'common law' may have been marked on a death cert.  My only other suggestion would be to go the the North East family History website. , and see if the have any MI books for where she may have died.  However, if she was a pauper prior to death there may not be a stone. 

Good luck with your research.  Regards,   Steve   :O)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I found a birth for a Martha Panton in SP for 1772....

GROS data 225/0020 0225
Martha Panton baptised 6 Jan 1772 at New Deer...parents William Panton and Martha Gammack.

I know that the age is way out but thought that it was worth mentioning as New Deer borders  the parish of King Edward on the east and so isn't too far away. However, I can find no record of a marriage or of the birth of Elisabeth.

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline famillemitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 07 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very  much for that - it certainly looks possible for Martha doesn't it  - it would make her quite old when Andrew was born though - for some reason I had always expected she would be very young - hard not to jump to conclusions!

Mike

Offline famillemitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be something very strange going on - in order to find more clues about Martha Panton I decided to search on Scotlands people for the others listed as living with her on the 1851 census and I can't find any records for them!

Does anyone have any idea why this might be?

Mike