Author Topic: Location of "George Inn Yard", Clarborough in 1870/1, or before...  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Location of "George Inn Yard", Clarborough in 1870/1, or before...
« on: Friday 02 November 07 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Have today been greatly helped here on another thread on the Notts section in finding the final resting place of my gt-gt-gt-grandfather William FELLS.  He died in March 1870 at the age of 75, and his address at his death was "George Inn Yard", Clarborough.
In the 1871 Census his widow Jane still seems to be living here.  I've tried googling for a pub or inn with the George as its name, without success, and would like to know whether anyone with local knowledge might know of the existence of a hostelry with this name in this area, perhaps many years before 1870.
I know lots of alleyways and yards in London, for instance, have the names of long-gone pubs or inns attributed to them.  Could this be the case here?
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of "George Inn Yard", Clarborough in 1870/1, or before...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 07 21:38 GMT (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hepburn,
Thanks very much for coming up with that.  The article doesn't say exactly where The George Inn was located, if indeed it was in Nottingham.  I suppose the yard in Clarborough might have been named after a (fairly) near, well-known hostelry - there was an even more famous one by this name in Southwark, south London.
But I do feel it is more likely that a pub or inn by that name actually once stood where this yard was in 1870.  In Ely, Cambs, for instance, there is an area called Woolpack Yard, and you used to be able to see the gable end of the long-gone pub The Woolpack patterned onto the brick of the building next door...
keith

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,
           I didn't get anything Googling Clarborough! and i think I spelt  it right... :D(have I spelt spelled right)?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Nottingham and stopped at the "George Inn" for the purpose of making a sketch of it. ... It was originally a yard which went by the name of Gears' Yard, ...

Keith ,
          I went on the site I gave you and did a search,the only "George inn yard" is the one above..

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hepburn,
Yes, that was what I discovered.  I was really surprised that googling didn't come up with a whole selection of George Inn's around the County of Notts - isn't it a very popular name in that part of the world, it certainly is further south...?
keith

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Still looking....

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Wasn't there a George inn yard in Whitechapel?

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
The search never stops... but I'm off for an early night now as it's an early start tomorrow morning to get parked inside the police blockades 2 hours before the kick-off in the Arsenal v Man U game in North London.  I bet I notice a few George Inn's on the way there...
Thanks very much for keeping on the trail for me,
keith
...and I'm sure you're right about the one in Whitechapel.  I think the place in Robertsbridge, E. Sussex, where Hillaire Belloc used to enjoy a pint was the George Inn too.