Author Topic: Location of "George Inn Yard", Clarborough in 1870/1, or before...  (Read 9103 times)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of "George Inn Yard", Clarborough in 1870/1, or before...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 07 22:50 GMT (UK) »
http://www.nottinghamhistory.co.uk/local/streets.htm

You're welcome Keith,old maps here,not sure whether they're applicable,but they are interesting...have a good day tomorrow
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Keith,

There doesn’t seem to be many references of the “George Inn” to help locate exactly where it was but I did find this old query from the Nottsgen mailing list – at least I have a better idea now as to which area it was.

http://www.mail-archive.com/nottsgen-l@rootsweb.com/msg04050.html

Best Wishes

Sheila.

ps
have a good day tomorrow  ;D

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 November 07 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Nottingham and stopped at the "George Inn" for the purpose of making a sketch of it. ... It was originally a yard which went by the name of Gears' Yard, ...

Keith ,
          I went on the site I gave you and did a search,the only "George inn yard" is the one above..

The main subject in the referred document is St Peter's Gate in Nottingham city centre.  I suspect the George Inn mentioned would have been nearby, perhaps in George Street.  This is many miles from Clarborough (just north of Retford in the north of Nottinghamshire - Nottingham City is in the south of the county).

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 November 07 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all those further efforts to get at the truth of the matter while I have been getting my beauty sleep, and the finding by Dizzifish about an area called Moorgate for the George inn and also, was it, Spital Hill for the location of the Workhouse until it was pulled down are both significant I think.
I'm asking another question now - would the Union Workhouse in Clarborough still have been there when Jane FELLS (nee RILEY?) died in 1884.
Feel we're much closer to location of the George Inn, too...
Must go and get my Robin Van Persie Arsenal shirt on, even though he's injured and not playing today.  There ARE other things in life apart from Family History, but nothing quite as fascinating or all-absorbing...
keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 November 07 07:28 GMT (UK) »
...and Sherwood,
Thanks very much for your local knowledge of the area.  By the by, are you actually a member of the SHERWOOD family, as I am, though I have to say my roots with this branch are all strictly Sussex from the 20thC back to the 16thC at least?  Can't lay any claim to Sherwood Forest and the surrounding area - apart from this FELLS family, that is...
keith

Offline diddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 November 07 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, im still on the case also and about to go and see if i can find william fells or jane fells/riley gravestone.
The george inn yard is proving very elusive at the mo and certainly dosent exist now.. moorgate is a area within clarborough and was according to the census  near the retford union workhouse and spittle hill. Clarborough is in retford, nottinghamshire and is no where near nottingham. In fact we are closer to yorkshire so no point looking at pubs in nottingham. the retford union workhouse was in existance up until at least 1901 as jane riley/fells daughter in law and some of her children were there after the death of Edward Riley.
Also to add to the confusion regarding location moorgate is now considered to be part of retford and has been absorbed into the main town and isnt part of clarborough at all. Spittle hill or as it is now known spital hill runs into leverton road.
just trying to get as much info in as possible1 Fingers crossed i will find some more clues at th gaves stone, if its not been removed!
Diane  :P

Offline diddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 November 07 12:37 GMT (UK) »
hi again ,
forgot to say that retford was on the main route north and south and was a fairly major stopping off point which is why even today we have way more pubs/inns than would normally be the case for a town of this size. alot of the older pubs had stables etc for the horses and coaches so it may be possible the yard mentioned was part of a large coaching inn?

Offline diddydi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 November 07 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Just got back from the church yard, sorry no fells at all though there were some good old gravestones from as early as 1830 in brilliant readable condition. I have also discoverd that jane fells did die in the retford union workhouse so at least we have cleared that up! Still lots of questions though
 ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 November 07 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Diddy... ;)
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />