Author Topic: RICHARDS of Cornwall  (Read 11257 times)

Offline kathwc

• I am sorry but my emails is not working at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RICHARDS of Cornwall
« on: Sunday 04 November 07 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help, I,ve come unstuck.

SOLOMON RICHARDS was born 1777 in Cornwall.  He married JENNIFER HAMPTON 30 Jun 1800 in Gwinear, Cornwall, England, daughter of THOMAS HAMPTON and JENNIFER MICHELL.  She was born Nov 1783 in Gwinear, Cornwall, England.

Children of SOLOMON RICHARDS and JENNIFER HAMPTON are:
   i.   SOLOMON2 RICHARDS, b. 1802, Cornwall; d. 1885, Mineral Point, Winsconsin, USA.
   ii.   JENNIFER RICHARDS, b. 1803, Gwinear, Cornwall, England.

I've have tried most of the sites available, but have had to send of for the Illogan indexes.

If anyone has anything that can help me, I would appreciate it.  My Phillmore's doesn't cover Illogan.

I also need info on the following:

JOHN1 VINCENT was born Abt. 1784 in Stythians, Cornwall, England1.  He married JANE. 

Children of JOHN VINCENT and JANE are:
   i.   JANE MARIA VINCENT, b. 1804, Cornwall; d. Mineral Point, Winsconsin, USA.
   ii.   SAMUEL H VINCENT, b. 1810, Redruth, Cornwall, England; d. 31 Oct 1893, Dodgeville, Iowa county , Wisconsin.

Generation No. 2

2.  JANE MARIA VINCENT (JOHN1) was born 1804 in Cornwall, and died in Mineral Point, Winsconsin, USA.  She married SOLOMON RICHARDS May 1825 in Illogan, Cornwall, England, son of SOLOMON RICHARDS and JENNIFER HAMPTON.  He was born 1802 in Cornwall, and died 1885 in Mineral Point, Winsconsin, USA.

Many thanks.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARDS of Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 07 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

A big welcome to RootsChat  :D

Ohoh. Looks like problems here  :'(

20 Nov 1897 Gwinear Solomon RICHARDS = Jennifer OATS

30 Jun 1800 Gwinear Solomon RICHARDS Widow = Jane DAWES

following entry

2 July 1800 Gwinear Thomas WEBSTER of Camborne = Jenifer HAMPTON

Baptisms to Solomon RICHARDS = Jennifer  - Gwinear

Jennifer 6 Mar 1803

Baptisms to Solomon RICHARDS = Jane  - Gwinear

Anne 30 Dec 1804
Solomon 4 Jan 1807
Mary 19 Feb 1809
Samuel 2 Mar 1819

There is also a Solomon born right era in Redruth

Solomon RICHARDS baptised 4 Sep 1803 Redruth Parents Sampson and Jennifer

also David RICHARDS b Sep 1799 Baptised 4 Sep 1803 Redruth Parents Sampson and Jennifer

There is no marriage in Redruth, this possible in Kenwyn

Sampson RICHARDS = Jennifer TONKIN Kenwyn 17 Aug 1799

Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kathwc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 07 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kris,
(Incidentaly, you have the same name as my son)

Yep there are problems.  My Solomon definetly "married" a Jennifer Hampton, and had children Solomon and Jennifer.   Jennifers'  father was Thomas Hampton.  All the information that I have states they were married in 1800, however, that could be wrong.  You know what the IGI is like (use with caution)

There seems to be a lot of Solomon Richards.  I think I will need to take a trip down to view the parish records (any excuse to visit Cornwall.

I have the Phillimore CD's, looks like I am going to have to take it slowly and view the whole lot.

Anyway thanks for looking.
Kathwc

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 November 07 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath,

I am sorry but a big mistake occurred here somewhere. By what I see he appears to have married Jane Dawes on that date not Jennifer Hampton. (By the way Jennifer and Jane are interchangeable names - very, very common in Cornwall, so I would like to see if Jennifer Oats died and Jane Dawes is the second wife of the same man - unfortunately I can't check deaths for that era to see) Looking about the net I note someone placed this entry on the IGI Soloman = Jennifer Hampton (submitted entry only, unverified and untrustworthy) and others appear to have taken it as so, copied it and researched Jennifer Hampton, but sorry, by the transcripts I can see, she married Thomas Webster not Solomon Richards. (Now as I can only see transcripts it may be that Phillimore's etc is where the fault lies)

You can hire the films in to your local LDS family history library to verify this  :D Viewing the originals may show you if Solomon is likely to have married 1. Jennifer Oats and 2. Jane Dawes or if it is likely two separate men. (Or of course, and hopefully for your sake, verify what you believe to be so) We know Solomon who married Jane Dawes was a widow so should you hire the films be sure to look for a death of Jennifer Oats also to verify if Jennifer and Jane are likely to be one and the same person as far as the baptisms go. Hopefully Solomon signed and you will have some idea on viewing it if the signature was likely made by the same man. Witnesses may also be of help. Also another way round this is you could order a printout of these marriage entries from the CRO.  (Actually it wouldn't hurt to email them and ask for clarification of the entry in question - they do not charge you for this as you have the date, but do charge for a printout of course) I don't have the fiche for this parish to check the originals myself, but I see this as a priority that they are checked promply, before you carry on too far following the wrong wife. Where any transcription is concerned human error may be involved and there certainly is a human error involved here :'( .............Good Luck............Kris  :D

Offline kathwc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kris,
Thank you for you advice and help on this.  I will definetly dig deeper and I will order the microfiche from the LDS, as like you said there are only the transcriptions to go on on the web.
I will keep you informed. 
Regards
Kath 

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kath,

I look forward to hearing just what the films say. Hope it doesn't take too long for them to arrive. It certainly has my curiousity tickled.........Kris  :D

Offline kathwc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Kris,
Just realised there is a LDS family search library up the road from me, I am going to try there first.
Kath

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 09:24 GMT (UK) »
was the IGI enrty submitted or extracted?

Kris has access to the parish record marriages so i tend to think hers are correct.

i have access to Phillimores and can check there if you like. (based on your area being covered!)

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
having checked on Phillimores it gives both marriages and different dates were there 2 Solomon Richards or had the first wife died?

Solomon Richards & Jennifer Oats 20 November 1797 Gwinear

then

Soloman Richards & Jane Dawes 30 June 1800 Gwinear

cruically the second marriage depicts Solomon as a widower and i think this is where the confusion lies.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive