Author Topic: Birth dates discontinued on Death Cert?  (Read 920 times)

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth dates discontinued on Death Cert?
« on: Wednesday 29 December 04 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Season's Greetings Rootschatters!

Could someone please tell me what specific date did UK death certificates cease to include a date & place of birth for the deceased? I am trying to locate a death certificate for a William Jones so this information would be very helpful. Thank you.

Regards,

Lynn - USA

Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Birth dates discontinued on Death Cert?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 10:32 GMT (UK) »
I am at a bit of a loss on this query. Current death certificates issued in England & Wales give the date of birth and place [if the informant knows it].
Historically the place of death was always given and the age in years [often a guess]. Older certificates did not allow for a place of birth to be recorded.
So, I am not sure what you mean when you say "When did UK certificates cease to include a date and place of birth for the deceased?".
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I am not 100% sure, but I think the changes in certificates were introduced in 1969.  Before that date, in England and Wales, dates of birth were NOT given in death certificates.  Age at death (always dubious, the person who really knew was the one being buried) was included but not the date of birth.  Given this, I'm not surprised that Hack was also confused.  What date are you looking at? ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mmjones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 04 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hackstaple & Neil,

Thank you for your replies. I thought I had read somewhere that Death Certs had dates & places of birth on them at sometime prior to 1969 but I obviously misunderstood. I have been trying to locate a DC for an ancestor named William Jones who died sometime between 1930 & 1980. I know his date & place of birth so I was hoping that there was a chance this would make the task a lot simpler. Oh well :o back to the drawing board!

Regards,

Lynn
Lancashire: RICKABY,GASKILL Yorkshire:SIMPSON,RICKABY,WOMERSLEY/WALMSLEY
Cambridgeshire, Whittlesea: WINTERTON,UPTON,CLARKE,WESTON,GREEN,SARGEANT/SARGENT
Ireland, Ulster, Antrim, Ballymena & Ballymoney: MCGARRY,ARMSTRONG,TAYLOR,WALLACE
Wales,Carmathenshire:JONES,REES, LEWIS, JOHN, WILLIAM, WILLIAMS, HOWELLS/HOWELL

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 04 19:35 GMT (UK) »
My elusive Ethel Walker (sorry to harp on about her) died in 1969, and the fact that the date and place of birth is given has made it more complicated.  This information is given by the informant who may or may not know what s/he is talking about.  There is no check.  In this case her son, who had spent very little time with her, had clearly got it wrong, at least about the place.  If you can't rely on the accuracy of the information you can be seriously misled.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.