Author Topic: Little Kirkland  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Little Kirkland
« on: Monday 05 November 07 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a birth certificate dated 1817 and the place of birth is Little Kirkland.
Would anyone know the vicinity of the town?
Hope you can help.
Annette
Beattie & Sinclair,  Scotland
Hydes/Hides, Southan, Kay, Broughton, Stenton - Yorkshire.  Southan, NZ & USA.

Offline woodydog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Little Kirkland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Annette,
I would think that Little Kirkland is a farm rather than a town. There is a website that mentions it  www.meiklekirkland.com/farm.asp it's a local ladies website detailing the history of her family and the farm itself and is packed with information. On the old kirkcudbright website there are a number of mentions for Meikle & Little Kirkland (mentioned together) and it's common for one estate to have a meikle & a little farm on it (if you get my drift?).
Hope this helps a little
Woodydog
Pratt- Catterick/Richmond N.Yorks & Wilsden/Halifax West Yorks
Maylor- Preston/ Poulton Le Fylde
Whitaker- Halifax
Dixon- London & Yorkshire
Booth-Middleton,Oldham,Royton,Lancs
Boyling-Oldham,Royton & Shropshire
Harris- Bradford, Prestwich Manchester
SMITH!! Kirkcaldy, Manchester
Sturgess-  Preston Candover, Hampshire & London
Nixon- London
Walters- London & Hampshire
Settle - Halifax & Brighouse
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crisrbow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette

I used to live near Kirkcudbright and Little Kirkland is indeed a farm.

Crisrbow
Bissett, Budd, Fife. Cook., Keen, Wilson, Sidaway Co.Durham, Vasey, Sunderland., Riddell, Durham.Sidaway Rowley Regis, StaffsBadger, Lee, Shropshire, Staffs, Durham
Latue, Durham, Booth , Durham and London

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 11:50 GMT (UK) »

Hello to you both,

Thankyou so much for the information.

The site you suggested, Woodydog is wonderful. So much so that I have just written to the writer and I hope to maybe learn a little more.

I now have a new lead to research.

What would I do without  my Rootschat friends?

Thanks again,    Annette

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 November 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Annette, I have McClunes in my tree who were at Little Kirkland (a farm). They are buried in the old Dunrod Parish Kirkyard. I can't remember the date offhand, but Dunrod Parish joined with Kirkcudbright sometime in the 1700's.
Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Annette Witherby

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 November 07 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatza,

Thankyou foy your reply.

At this stage I do not have any McClures in my tree.  BUT it was the birth of Mary WELSH, the daughter of John WELSH and Mary McNAUGHT in 1817 that had me puzzled. 
She was born at Little Kirkland which I have since found out is indeed a farm.
The farm is next to the new church near Haugh of Urr. Little Kirkland and Meikle Kirkland are both farms a few miles apart

Maybe you have a Welsh or McNaught somewhere in your tree.

Thankyou for your imput,  Regards,  Annette

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Annette, sorry, I didn't really make my point very clear.   ??? There are lots of "Kirklands" around in Kirkcudbrightshire. Usually land associated with a Kirk or Church. Are you sure your Mary Welsh was born in Urr Parish, and not Kirkcudbright Parish? If the latter, then you might want to consider Little Kirkland just south of Kirkcudbright itself - in the old Dunrod Parish. I was wrong on the date! 1683 it was that Dunrod and Galtway were incorportated into Kirkcudbright Parish.

Scatza
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline Gallovidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I thought I would reply to this thread, as I am the person who made the www.meiklekirkland.com website!  :)

The farm has been in my family since 1905, and has seen 5 generations of Hallidays living there.  I lived there up until about 6 years ago, and sadly my parents decided to sell the farm this year, as my dad was approaching retirement age.  Seems like the end of an era!

Unfortuately, I don't know much about Little Kirkland, but if you want to know anything about Meikle Kirkland (in Urr Parish) then feel free to contact me.  And apologies about the website, to anyone who has had a look - it is unfinished, and has been the same way for about a year - I will get around to finishing it one day!

Cheers,
Elaine Halliday

:)
Adden, Anderson, Bell, Burgess, Caldwell, Campbell, Carruthers, Cowan, Cumming, Dickison, Farish, Halliday, Haugh, Jamieson, Kelly, Laughlin, Leslie, Little, Mathieson, McCormick, McGarrie, McGavin, McLean, Quarry, Robson, Scott, Shaw, Smith, Tait, Tonner, Watson, Wilson